No Guns Allowed or Are They? Chattanooga theatre incident

<o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0pt; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0pt 5.4pt 0pt 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0pt; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> If this is “old news†I apologize; I did a quick for this story on the forum and didn’t find anything and if it hasn’t been posted I think it should be.

<o></o>

Here is a link to the local new channel story:

<o></o>

No Guns Allowed, or Are They? : WTVC NewsChannel 9: Chattanooga News, Weather, Radar, Sports, Lottery

<o></o>

While the complete chain of events aren’t clear, it appears that this patron (Mr. O’Brien) was watching or attempting to watch a movie at the Majestic 12 theater in <st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Chattanooga</st1></st1:city> with his family and he was openly carrying his weapon.

<o></o>

The theater was not posted.

One or more other patrons complained (apparently felt uncomfortable) with the visible weapon.

<o></o>

It appears that the theater manager asked the patron to conceal his weapon; he refused and was then asked to leave at which pint an off-duty deputy (alleged deputy anyway) told the patron he could either leave or be arrested for trespassing.

<o></o>

My thoughts are this…

<o></o>

If the theater didn’t want weapons in its property it should have been posted. Since it was not, Mr. O’Brien had every right to carry open or concealed in the theater.

Obviously the theater manager doesn't understand the HCP law in Tennessee. However, once O'Brien was asked to conceal the weapon or leave his only option at that point was to comply or leave or he would have been guilty of criminal trespass.

<o></o>

The alleged “deputy†should have properly identified himself.

Essentially, I believe there is a lot of blame to go around here.

<o></o>

While I've only had my permit for a short while, I've never carried openly and have no plans to do so...I simply see no good reason to advertise to any/everyone that I have a weapon on me. Further, given the feelings of many people toward guns, it seems more prudent to me to not openly carry and possibly force an unnecessary confrontation or incident like the one in this story... in my opinion, incidents like the one in this story ultimately only hurt, not help, our cause.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My concealed carry instructor, a retired LEO said that it was not legal to conceal carry in a movie theater. He also said that he always CCs when he goes to the movies becuase in his 30 years of law enforcement he had found that going to the movies is one of the times you need to be armed. He said he could not TELL us to CC at the movies. wink wink nod nod say no more.

I'm always packin' when I go to the movies. Too many thugs and gangsters hanging out. I have a right to protect me and my family from harm.

I don't look for trouble but when I find myself in it

it's nice to know that I can blow, 300 rounds a minute.:2cents: