An AK question

DaveTN

I have a military rifle collection and at some point I will need to add an AK. I’ve never really had an interest in them and don’t know much about them.

I would want something representative of the weapon that foreign militaries used. But I would assume that all of those were full auto weapons and the only thing I would be able to get would be an AK clone. (Without doing the whole class III thing) Is that a safe assumption to make?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The AK is not exactly a military surplus firearm, since it is STILL the most widely used battle rifle in the world today. You may be able to buy a full auto AK in the states, but it will be expensive, and you will have to pay a $200 tax.

The semi-auto AKs available are all genuine AKs, just not full auto. The least expensive is a Romanian WASR10 with the mag hole reamed out larger to take an ordinary 30 rnd AK mag. These are selling now for about $400 in gun stores. The WASR10 is rough looking, but people say it works fine. Cautions are to look out for a tilted gas valve or sight. The MAK90 has a thumbhole stock, but it is a better made firearm, and an excellent AK. Most AK folk don't like the thumbhole stock, but I don't think that matters a bit. You may also like the Hungarian AMD65, with a side folding tubular metal stock, but which may run up to $600. Bulgarian Arsenal brand AKs may cost even more. Prices for all AKs are steadily rising as gun buyers anticipate another "assault weapon" ban, including AKs, even though the semi-auto AKs are not true assault weapons.

Guest Mugster

I've looked at it a little. Look over this guy's site. He's selling what is commonly available as "surplus" but there is a minimum parts "made in the USA" requirement to get around the import restrictions. I don't own one, but i've heard it said that the yugo is usually a pretty good shooter. The romanian WASR rifles look pretty good on his page, but when you get close, they look pretty rough, imo, and they have a wide variance of build quality.

http://www.classicarms.us/

If you get a parts kit and build one, you're going to have to read and understand all the rules before you buy.

Guest DonRickles

What is your budget? Russian, Bulgarian, Hungarian and Chinese are usually the upper echelon as far as quality is concerned. But a Romanian kit(which are drying up) and a skilled builder can make a pretty nice rifle. Try to stay away from Century guns....most of the $300 - $400 AK variants you find are Century guns and the overall quality is low. They still work fine but if you are going to get one you might as well get a good one.

I don’t have a budget. I will be looking for something to fill the AK hole in a military rifle collection. I won’t be firing an AK much, but want it to function properly. I want it to appear as the original AK would have. For example, wood not a plastic stock.

I have an 03 Springfield, M1 Garand and M1 Carbine. My .308 Panther is filling the AR role right now. I think my next addition needs to be a K98 Mauser, and then maybe an AK.

The M14 might be a problem also. :D

I bought my AK from classic arms ,very nice rifle the people who run it are super and prices are great. I would do business with them again, plus they have low prices on ammo too. You can call them and talk right to the guy who ships you the rifle, its a family business.

If you want something strictly military surplus in an AK, definitely do NOT get a WASR10, which was made for the American market. What you want is a "preban" AK47. They are a bit pricey, but they are authentic. Here is a link on Gunbroker to illustrate a pre-ban AK47....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85572944

Of course, it will still be modified to be semi-automatic.