New Glock 23 and Failure to Feed

I wasn't being a "smart a$$" or anything, it's just there's no need for someone to make statements, that anyone who has even a slight knowledge of how a pistol works , and has ever field stripped a glock, knows is not true!!! You can simply look at the rear locking lugs on the barrel and tell it's not a blow-back design! Everyone has an opinion on the net, and I fully accept their right to have one , it just bugs me for someone to give out false info and state them as facts. There's enough mis-information on the net. If I lived closer, I'd set up a meet and try to help you. Short of trying new mags, recoil spring then a new barrel, ( those are the only parts I can see causing your problems) . I'm really at a loss. if you know anyone else with a 23 maybe you can get together and try swapping out those parts , one at a time and see if you can solve this problem. I just seems so strange ,that you said you had no failures for the first 500rd. seems theres some info we're not getting. I assure you everyone will be waiting to hear what Glock does to this pistol when you send it back. If you don't mind me asking what dealer did you buy it off of?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a call-back from Glock today; as always, they were stand-up and asked me to shoot a little more this weekend. If I am still having the problem, they want to send me a new recoil spring and magazine. They suspect the recoil spring may be weak. ??

We'll see, but I'm thankful for their response and willingness to help make this right.

more later. . .

Glock CS is pretty awesome, I broke the tip plug off of a guiderod playing with a lighter spring and called to make sure it'd run ok that way and they said "yes" and sent me a new one without me even asking, and a couple years ago I sent an email asking about the "pignose" phenomanon and got a call back explaining why some have it and some don't having to do with how long the frame was in the mold and then a few days later 3 free magazines showed up in my mailbox...

Guest boatme99
my g27 will screw up from limp wristing but i have to try hard. if it wasn't a glock i'ld sa 7-10 in 500 ain't bad. not sure on the mag spring.

:D Not Bad? 1000+ through my Sig P239 and not ONE FTF! If I get 7 FTFs out 500, that sucker is useless.

Guest 10mm4me
Magazine looks pretty normal to me... it wouldn't hurt to lightly lubricate it on the inside. Does this happen with any of the magazines (you have more than one, right?)

Also, what happens when it fails to feed? Does the cartridge stop on the feedramp, or is it partially in the chamber? That will tell you whether it's magazine related, or whether the extractor may not be allowing the case rim to slide under it.

Another thing... I have seen glock firing pins protrude from the breechface when returning to battery until the firing pin block safety (small round button on the bottom of the slide) and the striker channel have been cleaned and lubricated properly... if that is happening, it will impede the case-rim from sliding under the extractor claw. I'd suggest a teardown and lube of the gun either way, since it is new. As much as everyone likes to believe that Glocks work 100% out of the box, that's not true (not bashing, I own 2 of 'em myself, it's just reality).

DO NOT LUBRICATE YOUR MAGAZINE........EVER!!!!!!!!!

AND... NEVER EVER LUBE THE INSIDE OF THE STRIKER CHANNEL! - on a Glock the striker channel doesn't require ANY lube and doing so will only cause the gun to potentially fail as lube will only attract debris and may cause a kind of suction to build up and either stop it from working or keep it from moving freely... (if you put lube of any kind in there tear it down, swab it all out with some q-tips and then put it back together, and congrats, you probably found your problem...).

88al5g

So I'll be talking with Glock again tomorrow. This (picture) was the only FTF today - early in the session, 2nd full magazine. It was the 13th round out of a full mag. Federal WallyWorld ammo. jammed at a 45 degree angle to the chamber.

Glock had asked me to shoot some more and see if it kept happening; well, I get at least one FTF every trip to the range. It is always near the end of a magazine, and to date, has always been during slow firing - never during rapid firing (probably coincidence).

I shot another 120 rounds after that (Federal and Speer Lawman) with no more FTFs out of either magazine. (FYI- the gun in the picture is pointing downrange, secured by my hand, as well as the trigger is "safe"). Does this give anyone any clues as to what's going on?

Thanks-

Edited by Peace

I am by no means a "Glock Expert" but think that is a magazine related issue. More specifically, a magazine feed lip issue. My guess is that they are slightly too far apart allowing the front of the round to "cock up" slightly before it can be pushed into the feed ramp. Again, just my :D.....

Actually, it is a good idea to clean magazines out every once in a while, and leave a light film to protect them.

AND... NEVER EVER LUBE THE INSIDE OF THE STRIKER CHANNEL! - on a Glock the striker channel doesn't require ANY lube and doing so will only cause the gun to potentially fail as lube will only attract debris and may cause a kind of suction to build up and either stop it from working or keep it from moving freely... (if you put lube of any kind in there tear it down, swab it all out with some q-tips and then put it back together, and congrats, you probably found your problem...).

This is indeed true for Glocks, thanks for the correction.

Get a few more magazines. Number them all so you can tell which are which. I'm betting you have some bad magazines. Find out which they are and toss.

This.

Except, I'd add, if after you number the mags and do indeed narrow it down to a bad mag(s), don't just toss, call Glock and tell them to send you a new one(s) (worst case they'll have you send in the bad mag, kind of doubt it though, if I was less than honest bet I could pick up the phone right now and tell 'em I've got a bad mag and they'd just send one...).

I have a G23 and never had this problem. If it does not run right out of the box then something is wrong. Hopefully the mag and/or recoil assembly will cure it.

Like I said I have never had a Glock that did not run good as soon as I took it out of its box and fired it.

Sell the gun and get a new one...You will never trust the one with FTF...

I'd say that when he nails down the problem and gets it resolved, no reason to not trust the gun. A G23 after all is an exceptionally reliable weapon and this situation is most surely the exception to the norm.

Thanks all- My G23 gets cleaned thoroughly every time I shoot it. NO oil or lube has ever been in the striker channel. Polymer-Safe Gun Scrubber is the only thing that makes its way everywhere on this gun (and the FTFs had shown up before I started that).

I sure do hope that it's a mag problem. Gee whiz I'd like to get this behind me and just have a regular old G23. . . not any better or any worse than any other.

Guest 10mm4me
Actually, it is a good idea to clean magazines out every once in a while, and leave a light film to protect them.

This is indeed true for Glocks, thanks for the correction.

no, you r wrong. you never lube a mag. they don't need protection. lubing a mag sets you up for corroded primers and real mag problems

no, you r wrong. you never lube a mag. they don't need protection. lubing a mag sets you up for corroded primers and real mag problems

New word for your vocabulary:

Main Entry: tact

Pronunciation: \ˈtakt\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, sense of touch, from Latin tactus, from tangere to touch — more at tangent

Date: 1797

1 : sensitive mental or aesthetic perception <converted the novel into a play with remarkable skill and tact>

2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

synonyms tact, address, poise, savoir faire mean skill and grace in dealing with others. tact implies delicate and considerate perception of what is appropriate....

Guest 10mm4me

New word for your vocabulary...

DEAD...

def- what u are if you don't maintain your weapon and lube your mag and your weapon fails when you need it

Edited by 10mm4me
New word for your vocabulary:

Main Entry: tact

Pronunciation: \ˈtakt\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, sense of touch, from Latin tactus, from tangere to touch — more at tangent

Date: 1797

1 : sensitive mental or aesthetic perception <converted the novel into a play with remarkable skill and tact>

2 : a keen sense of what to do or say in order to maintain good relations with others or avoid offense

synonyms tact, address, poise, savoir faire mean skill and grace in dealing with others. tact implies delicate and considerate perception of what is appropriate....

Gotta agree, no need to take that kind of tone (especially since he's wrong since while indeed there's no real need to lube a Glock mag since they're surrounded in polymer, all-metal ones like those used with 1911's, M9's and CZ's can use a thin film now and again to keep them from corroding, a thin film of a CLP will mostly evaporate and will not lead to bad primers).

New word for your vocabulary...

DEAD...

def- what u are if you don't maintain your weapon and lube your mag and your weapon fails when you need it

:popcorn:

Edited by CK1
Gotta agree, no need to take that kind of tone (especially since he's wrong since while indeed there's no real need to lube a Glock mag since they're surrounded in polymer, all-metal ones like those used with 1911's, M9's and CZ's can use a thin film now and again to keep them from corroding, a thin film of a CLP will mostly evaporate and will not lead to bad primers).

:popcorn:

You never should lube 1911 mags. Clean them yes but never leave any oil on them. It can result in this malfunction caused by lubed mag and inertia.

Picture4.jpg

You never should lube 1911 mags. Clean them yes but never leave any oil on them. It can result in this malfunction caused by lubed mag and inertia.

Picture4.jpg

Ok then, never knew that so thanks... Don't flame me but I've never really cared much about 1911's anyway...

Guest Brett256
Called Glock this morning. Tech support suspects me (wrist) or the ammo. :drama: We agreed I should go shoot some higher brow ammo and call them back later today. No arm twisting needed. . .

It happens with both magazines that shipped with the gun. I might pick up a 3rd magazine today before I shoot.

Also - the failure to Feed happens in a couple of ways.

1) The fresh round jams at an approx. 45 degree angle on the feed ramp

2) The fresh round jams at a 90 degree angle (with the round barely sticking out of the silde)

-the angle of the jammed round varies, but it has mostly been around the 45 degree mark.

I am going to go and shoot some speer lawman today (Glock support liked that idea)- and I'll make doubly sure that I'm not limp-wristing the thing. We'll see if it gets better.

Peace,

Hello from south of the border! (Alabama)

Luckily I stumbled across this thread this afternoon while googling "Glock 23 jamming"

I have a brand new G23 I just purchased in January and have been experiencing identical problems. You are not alone !

I also get FTF with rounds jammed at 45/90 degrees. It seems to happen towards the middle of a mag.

I have been to the range 4 times with this pistol firing 100 rounds per visit. Each visit I have had anywhere from 2-5 jams.

I have ran both WWB and Federal though. I have cleaned and lubricated the pistol properly after each visit. I tried adjusting my grip.

Today being my 4th visit to the range made me really start thinking something could be wrong with the pistol. I decided to come home and search the web for some answers before placing a call to Glock. Well... I spent all afternoon reading so I never put the call into Glock. I read lots of opinions and a majority of them point at more known issues:

limpwristing

mag spring break-in

mag spring worn out

improper pistol cleaning/lubrication

ammo type

bad rounds

I did find a post that caught my attention here though:

Winchester Ammo - MGO Community Forum

I can't attest to the validity of this post but in the alleged email it appears as if the FBI FTU has had similar issues with the G23 and FTF with the standard issue Winchester ammo. The solution to their problem was using the G23 factory magazine with the narrower feed lips.

This really sparked my interest because I have 4 magazines for the 23. The two 13 round originals that the pistol shipped with and two more factory 13 rounders I ordered new from Midway USA.

I took a closer look earlier and two of the magazines are denoted with a "1" and the others have a "2" on the lower mag body.

Now I don't know which mags the pistol came with and which mags I ordered from Midway but the mags denoted with "1" and "2" look identical....all except the mags denoted with "1" DEFINITELY have narrower feed lips if you compare them side by side. Hopefully that FBI FTU email is correct and the "1" mags fix the FTF problem. I may of had the #2 mags in when I experienced the jams.

There is only one way to find out. I just need to go back to the range with a couple hundred rounds and put each mag through the paces....Hopefully it is the #2 magazine type that has an issue with feeding. I will let you know what I find. I should be going back to the range Friday.

-Brett

Edited by Brett256