pistol marksmanship

Guest Mugster

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both are excellent sources of information! thanks guys!!

Fairbairn and sykes were legends in their time. both were around during the 30s as municipal police officers of the shanghi police.

they even designed a quite effective fighting knife. Its safe to say that they knew what they were talking about when it comes to self defense.

The army manual is, of course, pretty close to a bible when it comes to putting a round on target, since they have lots of experience at it.

again, thanks guys!!!

Guest Mugster

Thanks 2HOW, that is a pretty good read...I printed it and am working my way through it. I knew about the F&S dagger design but had no idea they had a book.

I liked the discussion of holsters and carrying in uniform at the end. They like the cross draw which I agree with. I like a good solid leather shoulder holster with a lanyard tied to a solid leather belt. That combined with a grip safety on the 1911 should really help prevent someone from giving you some chop suey and shooting you with your own pistol. It also protects the weapon pretty well from getting banged around on stuff. My second choice would be a crossdraw on the belt like they have in there.

They also use the term "opinion" quite a bit in several of the shooting sections of the book. That ups my estimation of anyone writing about gun related stuff.

Shooting to live is kind of a prelude to point shooting, true some of it is out of date due to new ammo and tactics, but the meat of it is eternal. I really liked the part about the draw and how to set up a range. Great to read the beginning of CCW and tactics.

Guest Phantom6
Mars, you probably bought the thing from Capt. Inspector Fairbairn!

:shake:

He's carefully hiding the fact that he's getting back to that shooting the dinosaures thing again. Now Tower's gonna say ya ran the little ones down and knifed them.

:surrender:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Loaded247

Some of the 'early' books I have are:

Shooting to Live, by Fairbairn & Sykes

Get Tough, by W.E. Fairbairn

Kill or Get Killed, by Col. Rex Applegate

Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting, by Ed McGivern

Guest Mugster

The McGivern book is a good one. If you have the fortitude to actually read the whole thing, you'll find you go back and reread portions as your understanding of shooting increases.

I need to track down a copy of the book Jordon wrote, but the title escapes me. That is supposed to be pretty good.