Good carry gun?

Guest ImthePrez

In your Opinion which one of these is a good carry gun? and why?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. In your Opinion which one of these is a good carry gun? and why?

• Bersa Thunder Plus .380
    • Smith and Wesson Sw9ve 9mm
    • Walther PPK
    • Sig SP2022

Guest ImthePrez

What in your opinion which one of these is a good carry gun? and why?

Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Smith and Wesson Sw9ve 9mm

Walther PPK

Walther P22

Sig SP2022

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

In my opinion, the PPK is an alright carry gun, but there are better options if you want the .380 route, like the Kel-Tec P3AT. From what I hear the Bersa is also a good choice. I'd also cross out the P22, I wouldn't stake my life on a 22. Just my opinion.

Looks like you're really looking at bottom-feeders only, correct? If so, I'd give all the KelTecs and Kahrs a good look, too. Lots of power in a tiny package for those guns chambered in 9 and up.

I'm old-school, so I'd also suggest a look at the Smith J frames, Ruger SP-101, Charter Arms guns, and I'm sure many more.

Just find what you shoot best, are most comfortable with, and carries at least a moderate amount of firepower. Get something you'll actually carry, versus a boat anchor you'll leave at home.

Guest ImthePrez
I like the bigger calibers , plus proven performance and function. Although with the rebates and spiffs S&W has the best deal is the 9mm sw9ve.

thats the same gun i have now...only thing i dont like is the trigger pull, but overall its pretty good gun.

Guest ImthePrez
Looks like you're really looking at bottom-feeders only, correct? If so, I'd give all the KelTecs and Kahrs a good look, too. Lots of power in a tiny package for those guns chambered in 9 and up.

I'm old-school, so I'd also suggest a look at the Smith J frames, Ruger SP-101, Charter Arms guns, and I'm sure many more.

Just find what you shoot best, are most comfortable with, and carries at least a moderate amount of firepower. Get something you'll actually carry, versus a boat anchor you'll leave at home.

what carry gun would you reccommed for better quality?

Guest bkelm18

If you're looking for auto loaders, the Springfield XD compacts are good reliable guns, as are HK USPc's. I personally carry a USPc or a full size 1911. Taurus also makes some good compacts, I've never shot one but I know some people love them. Bottom line is, carry what you can shoot best and are most comfortable with.

Asking what is a good carry gun is like asking what underwear I should buy. It is a matter of personal opinion. I would recommend going to a range that would allow you to rent the guns and see which one fits best in your hand and that you like the feel and trigger pull of.

I personally like XD's and Glocks and Beretta's. That is just my opinion.

Guest newsphotog

I wouldn't call a Kahr a bottom feeder. I like mine a lot and it serves its purpose well. I do see a lot of Kahr bashing on internet forums. We are all so opinionated. You either love or hate the Kahr.

I wouldn't call a Kahr a bottom feeder. I like mine a lot and it serves its purpose well. I do see a lot of Kahr bashing on internet forums. We are all so opinionated. You either love or hate the Kahr.

I think he meant "bottom feeder" only in terms of action, i.e. semi auto, not in terms of quality.

Kahrs are nice guns although pretty pricey. My first carry gun was a K40.

Guest newsphotog
I think he meant "bottom feeder" only in terms of action, i.e. semi auto, not in terms of quality.

Kahrs are nice guns although pretty pricey. My first carry gun was a K40.

Gotcha- I didn't see it that way at first but I do now.

And yes, they are pricey. Some of the polymer lines have had some issues. The steel ones seem to be rock solid.

Guest canynracer
ya i own one too...do u like it?
I LOVE it!!! reliable as hell...

I will say, its a littl big for me to carry...but I LOVE the gun...I am looking into something compact, then the 9VE will have a new home on the nightstand

Guest canynracer

y'all are crazy...you guys all go off and talk about guns that arent even on the list...LMAO...:)

out of the guns he listed....pick ONE...who cares why...just PICK...:)

Guest utarch00

I would step it up and get a S&W M&P, fullsize or compact. You get the same rebate and free magazines as the Sigma, but in a much better package. I have a Sigpro 2022 and I think it is a little to big for a full time carry gun. Great gun though, I love mine. I also have a Kahr PM9 that I recently purchased and like it, but it is not something that you want to put a lot of rounds through on a regular basis. My buddy's Kahr P9 is a nice piece also.

Depending on the application, I would say all of the above... If I had to pick one from that list, it would be the SP2022, since I have owned a Sig Pro and found it to be well built, accurate and reliable. The fact that it has an excellent trigger, and chambered in calibers which offer superior performance to .380acp raise it head and shoulders above the other 3 choices. The only problem is that you could probably buy all 3 of the other guns for little more than the price of the Sig Pro, and the PPK & Bersa would be easier to conceal.

Guest looneeetunes

while we are mentioning bersa, anyone got one?? i like the looks of the 45, but the one i saw was like a 7rd clip (best i remember). i think i heard they are making one now with a larger capacity, in 45. reliability??? i guess is what i am asking. like a jennings?

Guest bkelm18
y'all are crazy...you guys all go off and talk about guns that arent even on the list...LMAO...:D

out of the guns he listed....pick ONE...who cares why...just PICK...:wall:

He asked. ;)

while we are mentioning bersa, anyone got one?? i like the looks of the 45, but the one i saw was like a 7rd:wall: clip :D(best i remember). i think i heard they are making one now with a larger capacity, in 45. reliability??? i guess is what i am asking. like a jennings?

MAGAZINE:)

If I didn't have a carry gun, and was looking to get into one

quickly and wanted a quality pistol at a good price...

My first choice would be Molonlabetn's Sig 239 (if he still has it.)

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459

(yeah i still look at it from time to time. :wall: )

Plus's include three mags, .357 sig (you can always buy another barrel for

a little over hundred I think) Stainless, and a good holster all for $500 bucks.

Second choice (If I was strapped for cash) would be a Taurus .38

with a concealed hammer. (used prefered to make it cheaper.) Some may

not like them, but I had one maybe 12 years ago, and it was great. Should

have never of sold it. ;)

Third... hee, hee...

A Colt Detective Special. The later ones with the ejector rod enclosed.

Yeah... I'm still lusting after one of these. I'll have to get one next year. ;P

Awesome trigger pull, nice balance, "feels right" (at least to me), SIX shot

and the size of a "j" frame smitty, the only draw backs is that it really

isn't rated for the +p stuff. (You can shoot them through it, but everything I read

said to have the gun checked when you approach the 2000 rd. mark in shooting the +Ps.) The other down side is you need to look good in a Fadora. I'm not sure your allowed to own them without at least having one at home. :D