Took the HCP Class Today...

No that wouldn't be a good idea. This is where that personal responsibility comes into play. Would you let your 6th grader take a 22 pistol to school? And just because there is a law saying that you can't take a gun into a bar isn't going to stop the drunk from having one and shooting you with it, it will only stop you from having a gun to defend yourself when the drunk pulls the gun and shoots you.

My point is gun control laws only handicap innocent people from protecting themselves.

No I wouldnt let my 6th grader take one to school even if it were legal. But I cant say with much confidence that everyone else wouldnt. I got your point, and I agree.

You get your rights at 18 (can't vote until then either). Nobody wants 6th graders going to class with a .22; although, I am taking my 2nd grader to the range tomorrow afternoon. :shake: He's excited.

As far as the class goes, it is really to touch on what not to do and basic gun safety.

Yes, the class is basic...maybe I was wrong to expect more, but now that the conversation has gotten this far I cant imagine that anyone would think the government would just hand out permits with no requirements whatsoever. I guess Ray disagrees, which is ok, we also have the right to disagree with each other, no biggy.

Yet the state has deemed it perfectly reasonable to put a 9th grader behind the wheel of a 3000 pound piece of metal moving at 75 miles per hour.

If the government wants to require basic education on gun safety... FINE. But do it as part of the normal mandated secondary education curriculum. Or allow the mandated fees for the HCP course and registration to be used as a tax credit.

Those ideas sound good to me. My comment about 6th graders was just an extreme case of what would be allowed if the government didnt regulate HCP permits at all. Again, that seems like what Ray thinks, which it's his right to think that but I will have to respectfully disagree...as I think others do.

Are they regulating too much? Maybe, maybe not...but we will all have different opinions on that.

Happy Monday

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading all of this, I can't help but wonder what people would think if they had to pay a fee, take a class and get a license before they could post on the internet... Oh, and there'd have to be a mandatory age requirement too.

After all, that would be just as reasonable as licensing firearms carry, wouldn't it?

BTW... I'll be 47 years old, in a couple of months, and I've been carrying a gun since I was 17. ( I've been a shooter since I was about 6, though. )

I didn't get a carry permit 'til 1995, however, when they became "shall issue". Before then, no amount of money would buy you one. :shake:

J.

where did the OP take his class at again? I took mine in greenbriar at G&L and found the class quite adequate and informative, I have been shooting for years and yes some of it was basic stuff but our Instructor actually cared(it seemed) and wasnt just doing it for the money like some of the guys in the surrounding county's to supplement their income. you said it is easy for some people to get a permit but I actually know a person that failed the class so even though you found it easy...they're not handing them out like cheap suckers from the bank.

where did the OP take his class at again? I took mine in greenbriar at G&L and found the class quite adequate and informative, I have been shooting for years and yes some of it was basic stuff but our Instructor actually cared(it seemed) and wasnt just doing it for the money like some of the guys in the surrounding county's to supplement their income. you said it is easy for some people to get a permit but I actually know a person that failed the class so even though you found it easy...they're not handing them out like cheap suckers from the bank.

Post #13

I took it in Sevierville. The range was very nice and so was the staff.

I figured one or more would take offense but whatever, check your feelings because I am pro gun. Excuse me for wanting people to prove they are and are still responsible gun owners. As long as you are responsible enough to know when you are no longer capable of carrying safely (because we all will be at some point) then I guess just paying the $50 every 4 years is good enough. It's the stubburn ones that worry me.

And I cant pay your $50 for you cuz I'm not one that Obama is giving your money to.

I thinbk the class was adequate for it's purpose. IMO, the most important qualification for a permit is the fact that you're law abiding.

The video is pitiful, but serves its purpose. I even think the range test was adequate. Certainly not a challenge for somebody like me that's been shooting all their life, but it's good enough to tell if somebody can hit a man size target with the first gun they've ever held.

Guest sammyboy

As easy as the class seems... and I agree it was easy... that doesn't equate to ill-informed folks getting HCP.

In my class, there were 4 of us. Two males and two females. One of the women missed 9 of the 40 questions (I'm 90% certain of those two numbers). So, she flunked and didn't even make it to the range test. Once we got to the range, the other woman (who also missed several questions earlier) decided not to shoot because she was afraid of failing.

SO, the classes serve some unstated purpose... in keeping complete idiots (sorry, but 9/40 questions qualifies for that term) discouraged from packing heat.

Personally, I'd like to see TN adopt open carry and 'vehicle carry' without a permit. To me, that would acknowledge the Constitutional right to bear arms without government infringement. As in Vermont, if you are legal to own the firearm you should be legal to carry it.

Concealed carry - which is the method of carry I choose but admittedly (IMO) is not necessary to the basic right of bearing arms - could require a permit and (in my system) would require a basic class and background check, much like the current requirements for getting an HCP in TN except that there should be no fees involved. The restrictions on where one could carry at the 'open carry' or 'basic concealed carry' level would be similar to what we now have in place. Renewal (with no fees) would require background checks and happen every four years. Call this a 'Class One Concealed Carry Permit'. These two options would meet the needs of most average citizens who wish to be legal to carry in a basic sense.

Finally, after obtaining a basic concealed carry permit and having had that permit for a period of at least one year, a citizen could elect to take (free or for a very nominal charge) an advanced carry class and then meet more rigid qualifying standards for both shooting and classroom knowledge along with (possibly) more extensive background checks. Upon obtaining this 'Class Two Concealed Carry Permit' a private citizen would be legal to carry anywhere that LEOs can carry, period. The only restriction would be on private property where the property owner legally restricts carry. This permit would require the holder to requalify for the range portion every two years and update knowledge of laws, etc. by taking a refresher classroom course (and passing a written exam) every five years. Renewals would be free of charge.

Edited by JAB
Personally, I'd like to see TN adopt open carry without a permit. To me, that would acknowledge the Constitutional right to bear arms without government infringement. As in Vermont, if you are legal to own the firearm you should be legal to carry it.

That might make things easier for thugs, and we have our fair share in a few places in this state. So, maybe an addition to this, we load all our thugs on busses and send them to Vermont. :D

Personally, I'd like to see TN adopt open carry and 'vehicle carry' without a permit. To me, that would acknowledge the Constitutional right to bear arms without government infringement. As in Vermont, if you are legal to own the firearm you should be legal to carry it.

Concealed carry - which is the method of carry I choose but admittedly (IMO) is not necessary to the basic right of bearing arms - could require a permit and (in my system) would require a basic class and background check, much like the current requirements for getting an HCP in TN except that there should be no fees involved. The restrictions on where one could carry at the 'open carry' or 'basic concealed carry' level would be similar to what we now have in place. Renewal (with no fees) would require background checks and happen every four years. Call this a 'Class One Concealed Carry Permit'. These two options would meet the needs of most average citizens who wish to be legal to carry in a basic sense.

Finally, after obtaining a basic concealed carry permit and having had that permit for a period of at least one year, a citizen could elect to take (free or for a very nominal charge) an advanced carry class and then meet more rigid qualifying standards for both shooting and classroom knowledge along with (possibly) more extensive background checks. Upon obtaining this 'Class Two Concealed Carry Permit' a private citizen would be legal to carry anywhere that LEOs can carry, period. The only restriction would be on private property where the property owner legally restricts carry. This permit would require the holder to requalify for the range portion every two years and update knowledge of laws, etc. by taking a refresher classroom course (and passing a written exam) every five years. Renewals would be free of charge.

+1000. You should write this up and send it to Ron Ramsey, Bill Haslam, and Zach Wamp.

+1000. You should write this up and send it to Ron Ramsey, Bill Haslam, and Zach Wamp.

I don't see it happening because, the people that ban guns in schools and other places think that guns are dangerous by themselves. I don't know HOW their little brains think that way, but they do.

I don't think better trained people carrying an instrument of evil is going to swing them our way. Just my opinion