First Shotgun?

Guest SalsaShark

Guest SalsaShark

Hello from Nashville. I am relatively new to the site, and I have a question for the members: I want a shotgun (a little bit for home defense, but mostly just because I have never owned one). So, what do you all recommend?

I am looking for something fairly inexpensive, maybe $400 tops. I prefer a synthetic stock, 12 gauge; also a good place to buy. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

I hope to get to know you all better!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

Ditto. I shoot trap with my 18" (though it takes practice) and it easily clears small rooms and hallways. Great work horse of a shotgun capable of doing a variety of jobs well. Never had an issue with any 870 I ever owned.

Guest Shooting Coach

The Remington 870 is a GREAT first shotgun. And more. A combo is available in the Express line. It gives a 20" barrel with rifle sights, and a 26" or 28" hunting barel with a vent rib and screwchokes for almost anything a shotgun is appropriate for.

If you want to save even MORE money (to spend on ammo) then I recommend the Maverick 88 by Mossberg. It's kind of a dumbed down Mossy 500. I bought mine for $137 new at Academy Sports a couple years ago. At the time, they were also giving away an aluminum long-gun case with every shotgun purchase, so I got a $60 case for free!! Anyways, I shot about 1,000 shells through the gun, from target loads to Magnum buckshot and slugs without a single hiccup. I recently sold it and it still looked just as good as when I bought. The bluing holds up really well on this gun.

I bough the All-Purpose version, which had a 28" barrel. That's kinda' long for a defense gun, but they also have an 18" Defender (I think) version with some other goodies that still comes in right around $200 I believe.

There's nothing fancy about a Maverick, but there's nothing wrong with them either. Great, solid, reliable guns.

My first HD shotgun is my Mossberg 590A1. I picked it up used at a gun store. Both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 series are MIL SPEC weapons. Some people argue one is better than the other. Here is a quote I read one about these two.

The Remington will out last the Mossberg and the Mossberg will outlast you...

Either is great.

Guest looneeetunes

870 vote here also.. but on a side not about the Dianne Feinstein Memorial Assault Shotgun with 20 round drum magazine.. I WANT ONE OF THOSE.. note to self... must settle down... must have self restraint

Remington 870 is a great option for a brand new shotgun or a used one. You have a lot of different options with stocks, barrels, and choke tubes. There are extremely reliable and probably will outlast you if you take care of it. I've seem Remington 870 Express shotguns, 12 and 20's, for less than 300 dollars. Once you get the base model, you can fix it up however you want with accessories.

If looking used, check out a Remington 1100 or 11-87. They have less recoil, due to being gas operated autoloaders. The important part is keeping it clean and making sure it goes bang everytime the trigger is pulled.

I don't know how used Ithaca pumps go. They are quite nice because they eject the empties out the bottom. The Browning BPS does the same.

I like the mossbergs, the cruiser with breacher barrell is a good 1st choice or any of the 590 series. Or you could do what I did and buy a winchester 1300 , cheap and does the job , I would buy one that can be changed into a pistol grip if needed.