thoughts of the Ruger SR9 / SR9c

lowbud

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boogieman

When I went to purchase my gun I had the opportunity to get either the Sigma (which I bought) or the SR9. I didnt care for the feel of the SR9 in hand and the grip was at least half an inch longer. If I remember right the SR9 was a bit heavier as well.Of course we all have differing opinions on what we like and dislike. I liked the SR9, dont get me wrong. I chose the Sigma because I had a specific purpose in mind and the rebate didnt hurt either. If I read correctly the SR9 is fairly new and yet to gain a solid rep in the market as of yet. If I'd found the SR9 in all black and with a rebate I might have chosen different but funds were an issue for me. It seemed like a very nice piece and Ruger has a solid market rep. I say why not, go for it.

I'm sure to get flamed for this, I shot one the full-size, SR9, shot ok. So I checked on the Ruger forum. Lots of complaints about the barrel lug , Cracking, excessive wear with low round count. Funny thing some reported sending the gun back to Ruger, Even tho they denied anything wrong with the gun, they replaced the barrel and sent free mags.? Most people, at least ones who haven't had the barrel problem, love the gun. I liked shoot'n it. Still think I'll wait another year or two before I consider buying one. JMO What can I say, when it comes to SD guns I'm just a conservative ol'man.:D

Lowbud,

my dad has the SR9 and I have put some rounds through it.

Pros:

Great shooter

Very accurate

High capacity

Adjustable sights(unless I'm mistaken)

Thumb safety if you desire to use it.

Cons:

I didn't think the slide was necessarily hard to pull as mentioned in the other thread, however the grooves on the slide are extremely sharp, too sharp! Apparently the gun can be de-horned by a gunsmith to fix this?

Another con, the fact that Ruger had to recall it and the LCP makes me not trust the company. Some might disagree but that's just how I feel.

Also, the gun just felt cheap to me.

Can I ask what role this gun will serve? EDC, or just a toy?

As far as the SR9c, I think it's a joke, The gun is NOT a compact, nor is it that much smaller than its big brother. It does not serve any advantage over the SR9 IMO.

Hope this helps.

If ya want another 9. But you don't want to put the money in a Sig 226. I shot a friends EAA EZ. It's copy of the 226. Well made, not finished as good as the Sig, but shot very well. Feed everything we could find, even some very old, badly corroded S&W silver-tips. I hear there discounted often. My friend got his in Nov. from Gallery of Guns on sale for 425. That's what, a couple hundred less than the Sig. Just an idea.:D

I'm just looking for a range toy. My primary carry is .40 / .45 and when nothing else will fit, .380. I have a couple of 9's now and just wanted to add another comfortable shooter to the mix. I will probably never carry this purchase.

This is all good info.. keep it coming..

Guest blairellis

I have a SR9 and want the little brother the SR9c to add to the collection. I'm all about this gun. Its great. Gobbles up anything I stick in the mags and has no issues spitting out the remains. They can be had for a VERY reasonable price too which is nice.

Guest Sgt. Joe

To each his own as for now this is still America.:D

I have had zero problems with my SR9 none......I love it:D

The SR9c had to go back because a retaining pin was working lose....I got it back to the range late yest and got 150 more flawless rounds thru it. No more pin issue.

Yea I was expecting a smaller gun with them calling it a compact but am very happy with what I spent on each of them. I would hardly call the "c" a JOKE, just not as small as one thinks of when they think compact. The compact is only 5/8 inch shorter in barrel length and with 17 round or pinky extension on 10 round mag the very same grip length. I had zero break in to speak of, I always clean and lube and work the action on all new pistols before firing them.

Between the two I have now around 1500 rounds and other than the now fixed pin issue have had no failure to feed fire or eject issues with either. I will be firing the "c" again this weekend and hope to put at least another few hundred thru it.

End of month ammo supply is getting low.:D

They have eaten Winchester white box, Independence Remington, Lawman and even some really cheap Blazer along with some Horady critical defense rounds. No noticeable difference. A Slight more kick from the shorter barrel "c" but not much.

I expect these two pistols to become my EDC carry and BUG rigs, I love the idea of the "c" taking the full size mags and the idea of interchangable accessories.

I will find the thread with my initial range report and pin issue problem with the "c" and update it as soon as I get some more rounds thru it.

As I said to each his own.....I love my American made Ruger SR9's and sure would not if they gave me any problems and would say as much, I dont work for them and dont get a discount.

The Full size came out of the box asking to be my best friend....after a little over 1000 thru it....it has become just that. But the "c" seems to want to take its place.

Using the flat bottom 10 round mag it is shorter in the grip and barrel and a bit more concealable, with a 17 round back up or three;) I will be shooting more and more with the flat bottom mag in order to get more use to it so I will feel more confident carrying it that way.

I am not nor do I claim to be any expert of any kind but speak only of my experiences, the full size did loosen up as far as mag release, loading and slide pull after a few hundred rounds, but again I had no function problems during those first rounds nor any since.

Durability of course is still a question as my full size is about six months old and the "c" just a few weeks.

If they begin to give me any crap yall will be the first to know.

I like both of mine just fine. And may even start looking to trade some Walther's and maybe an Armalite M-15 for Ruger's 5.56.

Time will tell. Probably not the Armalite but time and deals offered will tell.

I feel for those who have had problems with theirs and especially those who got :D from customer service. My experience with my "c" and customer service was excellent. Working day turn around was 6 days.

Also FWIW they are both in the $400.00 range NEW. Watch out on the used full sized and check their site to see the serial numbers involved and if the used one you are looking at has had the trigger changed out.

Most of all Everyone use what YOU feel confortable with and STAY SAFE:)

I have had zero problems with my SR9 none......I love it:biglol:

Yea I was expecting a smaller gun with them calling it a compact but am very happy with what I spent on each of them. I would hardly call the "c" a JOKE, just not as small as one thinks of when they think compact.

I might have been a bit extreme in calling the SR9c a joke, I just felt like Ruger didn't make the gun as small as it should have been. Lowbud, I'm sure you would probably love either gun and both are priced well. It's just not a gun I would purchase. Best of luck.

I might have been a bit extreme in calling the SR9c a joke, I just felt like Ruger didn't make the gun as small as it should have been. Lowbud, I'm sure you would probably love either gun and both are priced well. It's just not a gun I would purchase. Best of luck.

I'm going to fondle one at the show on saturday. then I'll make my decision. It'll give me a change to handle others as well. I really would like a 1911 in 9mm but i don't want to spend quite that much on one.

The SR9 is a logical choice keeping my pricepoint in check and under $500

I have the sigma and love it. just looking to add one more.

Guest clsutton21

I do like my SR9 despite my apparent weak body. It is sharp like people say, that might have some bearing on my racking ability, but other than that...I love it.

It's the perfect weight, thin, balances well, and I've never had a problem with it. Mine's OD green/black :)

Guest blairellis

Yea, its a great gun. I have bigger fingers and love the idea of having the pinky extension to get a "full grip feel" to the gun while offering a much shorter grip handle (about an inch with the flat bottom mag). I tried it in my holster at the store and it was MUCH easier to conceal without the extra inch from the grip. Perfect balance of size while still offering a good barrel length for concealment IMO. The handle is what sticks out a ton on the big brother the SR9. That was my only complaint about the gun. Well, that and I didn't get the black slide on my full size. (Anyone want to trade?) :shhh:

I'm sure to get flamed for this, I shot one the full-size, SR9, shot ok. So I checked on the Ruger forum. Lots of complaints about the barrel lug , Cracking, excessive wear with low round count.

Actually there was pinging of the barrel, but that is about it. 1st gen on most guns have things like this...almost without exception.

They were replaced during the recall, which was for the CA drop test passage, not for a defective product.

Hey LOWBUD,

I bought a SR9C the other day after I had only been carrying about 11 days. I love my XDM but found it was pretty large to carry everyday. I got the smaller SR9C and with the 10 round clip it is real compact to carry without the bulk. With the Full big clip it is a full hand grip and ready for the next round. I still love my XDM but it is on the big size to conceal. So I think for the money the SR9C is a reasonable carry.

• 1 month later...
Guest 1817ak47

bringing back a old thread but didn't want to start a new one. do these have a fixed barrel or a barrel that tilts as the gun cycles??