M1A magazine loading problems.

Almond27

Hi,I am having serious trouble inserting the twenty round magazines in my rifle I've tried both I have and I can't get the magazine in period. I know at least one of them worked before I field stripped the rifle. Now I can't get either to work and I'm almost 99 percent positive I have my trigger group back in properly. Because I lined the groove in the trigger group with the groove on the inside of the rifle goes right in and the trigger group latches down. sounds like everything is working properly when I dry fire. The mags are unloaded when I attempt to load them, should I try to put a few rounds in them? Both of the mags are a grey looking finish with no marking at all. The one that came with the rifle was in it when I bought it so it fit at one time. It has me stumped and yes I've double and triple checked I'm putting in the mag properly. I feel like a fool this is the first rifle that has ever stumped me like this before. When I tilt the mag in the front and try to get the cut out square into what looks to be the latch it will not go all the way up. I forced one in there and had to yank with force it back out. Thanks for all your suggestions I'm new to the M1A and my dad hasn't touched one since 64 he laughed and said I can try and help ya but haven't had a chance to make it to his house yet.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Field stripped it and put it back together checked the recoil spring guide rod over it was in properly. When I reassembled I got a mag in, one mag still isn't cooperating hate that, since I bought it just recently. Thanks JD and Mike for all the help. I'm learning the M1A, I learn something new everyday about it. Is there supposed to be a slant cut in the back of the receiver looks like a cutout for the back of the bolt?

Guest JHatmaker

M1A magazines aren't the most user friendly, sometimes you just have to fiddle it in there. Are you inserting them at a slant?

Edited by JHatmaker
M1A magazines are the most user friendly, sometimes you just have to fiddle it in there. Are you inserting them at a slant?

Yes, I know you have to get the front of the mag to click then rock it back and you here another click. I think my problem is I have two cheap chinese mags. One came with the gun and the other is one I purchased and it wont even go in. Man I'd hate to have to do quick mag changes while under fire in combat.

Guest JHatmaker
Yes, I know you have to get the front of the mag to click then rock it back and you here another click. I think my problem is I have two cheap chinese mags. One came with the gun and the other is one I purchased and it wont even go in. Man I'd hate to have to do quick mag changes while under fire in combat.

I hear ya (and I meant to say they they aren't user friendly, I corrected my post above). It definately took me a few times the very first time I picked up an M1A to get the magazine in properly.

I got lucky w/ some Chinese magazines I ordered from Cheaper Than Dirt, but anytime I could, I'd try and get the Springfield Armory ones.

You just said the magic words. Chinese Mags!!!! Get some GI mags and you won't ever have any trouble with them. Beware of counterfeit GI mags also.

Check out this article on M14 mags.

M1A-M14 magazine ID Guide

Thanks Mike for posting this guide very very informative. From that list I found one of my mags is a BRW S-1, other is unmarked but not a T-57 or chinese mag.

Guest kennymc

If you decide to buy new mags get the checkmates (CMI), that is who makes them for the gov and Springfield Armory now. 44mag.com usually has good deals on them. They even have a nice 25 rounder now.

If you are having trouble with a USGI magazine (BRW S-1), then the problem is likely with your rifle. It's possible that you have a bad magazine latch or recoil spring guide that is causing the issue.

Is there a dealer in your area for Springfield Armory? If so, ask them if they can help you. Also, check out the stickies at M-14 Firing Line Public Forum - Powered by vBulletin. There may be some help there. If not, ask for help there from the experts. Another option is to go to a High Power Rifle match and ask for help from the shooters there.

Good luck!