Savage Trio

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Here is a few shots of my target bolt guns.

I personally don't think you can beat Savage weapons in bang for buck. The accuracy, trigger, craftsmanship.... just awesome. I've not had the chance to shoot the .17 yet, but the .22 I would match against rifles costing 3 times the money. The first group after zero was literally 1/2"@50yd and was repeated with a few better (1/4") groups all day. I'm not talking center to center either... I mean outside to outside, 5 shot groups from a bipod rest. I'm hoping to get the same performance from the 17 @ 100yd. The .308 needs no introduction... nuff said.

I did want to add a little tid bit on the new Redfield scopes. Since Leupold has bought out Redfield, they have come to the market with a new series of scope... the Revolution. It is basically a vx1 at ~70% the price. For me it is a no brainer, plus they got rid of the friction adjustments and went to click adjustments on them. 50MOA ele/wind adjustment range. It works very well and in the price range, it is really unmatched in my opinion. Lifetime Leupold warranty applies as well.

Can you tell which one is which? :rolleyes:

-Savage MK 2 TR .22lr

Optic: Leupold/Redfield Revolution 4-12x40

-Savage 93R17 TR .17hmr

Optic: Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40SF

-Savage 10FCPHS .308

Optic: Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40MD

sq6nh2.jpg

141tetc.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brian@GunDepot

Rest of 'the family'. All my guns are mainly for recreational / target use besides my EDC. Be happy to review any of these if someone is interested.

-MSAR STG-E4 w/Factory optic

-Beretta CX4 9mm w/Streamlight TLR2

-Stag M6 w/Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40SF

-Para USA SuperHawg .45 6"

-Glock G34 9mm

2v83bee.jpg

Guest walkingdeadman

Awesome collection. I almost bought a Savage 30-06 today, but I just couldn't do it. Ended up with the Remington 30-06.

I like the glock also, I am also a huge fan of any glock.

The Savage 110 30-06 I have has been through the wringer! I wore a trigger group out of it and had Sam Hoster upgrade me there. I also broke the original stock AND the gun boot it was in on the 4 wheeler in a tragic backing accident! (do not hang your hunting coat over the gun boot and forget it while backing the atv up to get it out of the rain...it goes SNAP).

It's knocked down at least 10 deer that I can recall, so that means a few more probably over the years since 1992. Great gun for the price as stated. This one has switched over to the "will not sell ever" side of the gun safe as it has lots of memories.

Nice collection of Savage fun!

Here's what mine has ended up looking like since I had to replace the stock. Gave me my first opportunity to finish a stock.

Savage110riflewithcustomhandstoc-1.jpg

-Savage MK 2 TR .22lr

Tell us more about this one. Isn't it a new model this year?

I have a Savage MK2 BTV and it's about the only thing I want to shoot anymore. The accuracy is amazing, especially with SK Standard Plus (Wolf Match Target) ammo.

Guest Brian@GunDepot
Tell us more about this one. Isn't it a new model this year?

I have a Savage MK2 BTV and it's about the only thing I want to shoot anymore. The accuracy is amazing, especially with SK Standard Plus (Wolf Match Target) ammo.

Yes, the TR series along with the BSEV and BSEJ are new rimfire rifles from Savage this year. I had a MK2BV until I shot this thing... since the stock greatly resembles my 10FCPHS, I wanted it to hone better posture / practice skills at a cheaper ammo cost.

The stock while nothing special except the shape, is really what makes the gun for me. I've shot the BTVSS from last year and it shot well, but my preference is not one for thumbhole stocks.

Accuracy, while not totally 'better' than my BV it was A LOT more consistent. The weight of the gun I think attributes to a lot of the good feedback you get while shooting from a bipod, also the barrel slightly longer and fluted (.5"). A friend of mine was testing a new Weatherby MKXXII with the Anshultz 64 action/barrel and the Savage shot circles around that gun as well as a CZ453. In my honest opinion, there is not a better shooting rimfire .22 under a grand than this one.

For ammo, I usually use CCI Stnd Velocity for cheaper ammo, but when you feed it the Wolf Match Extra it really strings those shots in dang near the same hole. I also had good groups using RWS Target and Eley Club in her too. Every Savage I've shot liked this ammo, with an addition of the new Federal Ultra and Super Match (its basically Eley Tenex in a Federal box :cool: ).

I think if you sat down and mic'd the rim thickness and grouped your ammo accordingly, it would shoot .35" groups all day from a lead sled rest or similar. I absolutely love this thing... I like it so much I bought the 17hmr in it too. Like my previous post said, I've not gotten to shoot it yet, but I'm hoping for similar results at 100yd with it. I'll definitely give a field report after I get a chance to play with it.