S&W .40 Sigma

Guest Longshot1

Guest Longshot1

Saw a couple for sale today at the gun show in Maryville. NIB $329 with a $50 factory rebate. 2 mags in the box. I was tempted at a total of $279 + tax and TICS but the trigger felt really bad. I guess you coud get used to it for that kind of money. Anybody out there own one?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tntrucknut

I own the 9mm version. I took the sear assembly apart and removed 2 springs and reassembled. Much better. There's instructions all over the web for this. It's easy to do yourself, just take your time. I'm not sure how much it reduces the pull of the trigger, numbers wise, but I can feel a difference. You can also polish some of the metal on the same assembly and help some of the grittiness in the trigger. I like this gun a lot. I would leave it the way it comes from the factory though if you intend on using it as a carry weapon. The heavy trigger is part of the "safety".

Guest Longshot1

I should have bought one. I didn't even get a card from the vendor. I think he was from Johnson City. That was a good gun show price. I understand that Glock filed a lawsuit against S&W over the gun. For the price I would have been willing to gamble on a trigger job.

Saw a couple for sale today at the gun show in Maryville. NIB $329 with a $50 factory rebate. 2 mags in the box. I was tempted at a total of $279 + tax and TICS but the trigger felt really bad. I guess you coud get used to it for that kind of money. Anybody out there own one?

You likely never get used to it and that is why they are inexpensive. I hate that trigger. To me it is JUNK! Most felt the same way and they never took off. It was that failure that caused S&W to completely start a redesign which led to the M&P eventually. My dad bought one years ago, and for some reason never sold it, but will not shoot it. He had the trigger worked on by an excellent gunsmith, still felt like junk. I guess some might like them, or at least not be bothered by them. I am finicky about triggers I admit that. And I have to admit that even when the M&P came out I thought the trigger on those was only somewhat better. Recently I have started to change my mind on that a bit.

Edited by Warbird

I think they are the best guns out there in their price range. I trust one with my life every single night. While they may not be match shooting material or a superior target guns.. (due to the triger) they are excellent home defense guns. and once you get used to the triger.. ya can shoot em just as good as anything else. (if that even mattered)

I gave my Sigma to a friend who wanted to get into shooting. It was a forgettable pistol. I don't miss it at all. It's built just like a Glock.....but it ain't.

Yeah it's not.. It's 1/2 the price of the glock. just as reliable in my book tho.

They have a 13lb trigger pull from what I was told. I was given a number to call for a guy that could fix it for about $70. Not sure If that's a good deal or not... maybe I'll attempt to fix it. I'm starting to get used to it, but really notice it after shooting my Jennings 380. (the Jennings you just barely touch the trigger and it will fire!!)

Guest 10mm4me
Any proof?

That is like asking if I have any proof the sky is blue or water is wet. It's just that way. Tennifer, the most durable metallurgical gun treatment there is, no glass used in polymer blend to make the frames absolutely impervious to temp extremes, polygonal rifling (can't shoot lead but who uses lead), an endless supply of replacement parts, the fact that the majority of the world's LE/Military community uses them and they have only been around for 28 yrs.And the fact that every pistol since has been compared to the same reliability standard. Sigma's are as good as Glock's the way spam is as good as filet minon, yeah they are both meat, but the similarities end there.

That is like asking if I have any proof the sky is blue or water is wet. It's just that way. Tennifer, the most durable metallurgical gun treatment there is, no glass used in polymer blend to make the frames absolutely impervious to temp extremes, polygonal rifling (can't shoot lead but who uses lead), an endless supply of replacement parts, the fact that the majority of the world's LE/Military community uses them and they have only been around for 28 yrs.And the fact that every pistol since has been compared to the same reliability standard. Sigma's are as good as Glock's the way spam is as good as filet minon, yeah they are both meat, but the similarities end there.

Boy somebodies neck deep in Koolaid.........:shrug:

I have the SW9VE and I think it's a good weapon for the money. It's very reliable, and after getting used to the trigger I'm just as accurate with it as I am with any of my carry weapons. I would trust my life to it.

That said, my next purchase will more than likely be a Glock.

I also have the 9mm sigma, its a good gun you DO get used to the trigger pull. it maybe a little long and I believe it is only a 10 pound trigger. but the bound is not the problem its the long trigger. I feel I'm just as accurate with it as i am with any other of my guns. and thats why its mt edc, that is until I get my Springfield xd subcompact. But its ust because its smaller and easier to conceal.

Guest 10mm4me
If you cant dazzle them with brilliance, Just baffle them with bull:poop:.

And Spam isn't that bad.

What part of that is bull :D?? It's all true. I didn't just make this stuff up. Yall can't be serious when you say that a freeking Sigma is on par, quality wise, with a Glock. It just ain't the case. But if you like cheap guns, that are copies of original designs, made with inferior materials, then yeah, Sigma's rock out with their c*** out!!!!!!

Guest 10mm4me
Wouldn't one have to have owned both and tested both before one made the assertion that one weapon was either more or less reliable than the other?

I never owned a Sigma, but I have tested one extensively. Not bad guns, but they are no Glocks