Looking for a gunsmith in the Memphis area

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...
My name is Phil Colley and I am the gunsmith at Guns and Ammo on Summer Ave. I have been in business for the past 25+ years. I don't normally reply to post but feel something needs to be clarified for the members here.

There was a previous post referenced to a customer leaving a shotgun barrel with the gunsmith at G&A for months and no work was done. He seemed displeased and I don't blame him.

First you need to understand that this incident had to be before I took over this shop. If I had a barrel this long it would be because it could not be repaired in my shop and the owner did not return to pick it up. I have many jobs completed in my shop that have not been picked up for months and some years. That is fine and I never rush anyone to pick their firearm up. However 30 days after completion would be nice.

Most of my work is turned around very quickly at no extra charge. Some things can even be while you wait. I have never seen the reason to keep someone's gun for more than 3 weeks max unless there are simply no parts available or they are backordered. I don't make money until you have your gun back so why would I want to keep it any longer than necessary? Also I do not take in work that I am not comfortable with completing.

Finally, I do not advertise. I have always believed a good gunsmith does not need to do that. Word of mouth will take care of that for you! I have only had to fire one customer in all my years of doing this. And I think that is a pretty good record.

Enjoy your hobby!

Phil Colley/Colley Customs
901-859-2119
My hours are 10 am till 6 pm Tuesday thru Friday. Lunch is from 1 till 2. I am closed Sat, Sun, and Monday.
Phil, I'm the one that wrote the post about the shotgun barrel. It was probably about 14 years ago. It was not meant as a personal attack against you, it was just one of those incidents in my life that really left a bad impression on me. I have no idea who the gunsmith was at that time.