Dieting? I know No one here is Overweight

JG55

Guest Caveman
One of my best friends drinks therefore he runs, he runs therefore he drinks!:screwy:.

One of the things I picked up along the way is run at a speed that you can carry on a conversation. I have a bad habit of pushing it and running too fast. Being off for most of 2010 from running due to injury, the thing I have noticed was my breathing. My body could handle the running better than my lungs. That has come along way in a short time since I have been back on a consistent basis.

One big mistake people make is pushing themselves too hard when doing cardio. If you get your heart rate too high you surpass the fat burning and cardio zone and start burning lean mass. I decided four months ago to stop power lifting and start cutting for the summer. I do my cardio in the mornings before work and lift in the evenings after work Monday - Friday. I have lost 70 pounds so far.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Caveman
Fantastic - congratulations!

Thank you. The strict eating and double workouts suck, but the squeeze is worth the juice.

Guest db99wj

Excellent!

It is hard, for me, to run in a race and not start too strong, the adrenalin is pumping, the competitiveness spirit takes over, very difficult not to come out of the gate too fast. I didn't when I ran the half marathon, but that is a whole different animal than a 5k.

Guest SUNTZU
One big mistake people make is pushing themselves too hard when doing cardio. If you get your heart rate too high you surpass the fat burning and cardio zone and start burning lean mass. I decided four months ago to stop power lifting and start cutting for the summer. I do my cardio in the mornings before work and lift in the evenings after work Monday - Friday. I have lost 70 pounds so far.

It is good to see all my training pay off. Keep it up, Caveman! :D

Excellent!

It is hard, for me, to run in a race and not start too strong, the adrenalin is pumping, the competitiveness spirit takes over, very difficult not to come out of the gate too fast. I didn't when I ran the half marathon, but that is a whole different animal than a 5k.

Think negative splits. Finish faster that you stated. I have entered many races with the thought of taking it easy only to hear the start and take off like my A$$ was on fire. I am learning how to regulate my races. Currently I am working on longer distance races that are more about time than speed. I have signed up for my first Ultra Marathon in Sept. It should be a real mother.

Running is my diet. HTFU - Welcome

Guest db99wj
Think negative splits. Finish faster that you stated. I have entered many races with the thought of taking it easy only to hear the start and take off like my A$$ was on fire. I am learning how to regulate my races. Currently I am working on longer distance races that are more about time than speed. I have signed up for my first Ultra Marathon in Sept. It should be a real mother.

Running is my diet. HTFU - Welcome

Cool. I know this, I even say this, but when the horn goes off, my body says screw that, RUN!!!!:D

I did ok in the St. Jude half marathon, I started out at my normal pace. Of course they had the pace setters running at our times so I could stay with that group and not worry about running too fast.

Well - today is Week 1 Day 1 again at the gym after work. I will let you know tomorrow how it goes. I am hoping to be in better shape by the July 4th weekend. Big house plans that weekend.

I am also starting the 100 push ups in 100 days as well as the 100 sit ups.

I guess I am just a glutton for punishment.

Once I get to that shape I will throw in the free weights etc.

Even the ageless Mr. Shoot has finally given in to more exercise.

Even though I walk 25-50 miles per week, upper bod is out of control, too big and too weak, carries all the extra 25 lbs or so I need to drop. Just went to seed in couple of years of retirement.

I'm limited with crummy lower back as to what I can do, so joined the Y couple days ago. Hit the pool first time yesterday. Did 1/3 mile in 40 min. and was whipped. Last time I had easy water access, could do a painless mile in an hour or less.

Wow, that's sad.

Walked the 8 mile round trip to the Y, though, just to complete the punishment.

Hoping if I can get the first 10 lbs off, and add a little more muscle tone down there, can add some water aerobics and later some other weight training stuff.

Weight is about 225, will happily settle for a somewhat toned 200.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Cool. I know this, I even say this, but when the horn goes off, my body says screw that, RUN!!!!:rolleyes:

I did ok in the St. Jude half marathon, I started out at my normal pace. Of course they had the pace setters running at our times so I could stay with that group and not worry about running too fast.

I ran my first Marathon last month. It took an extreme amount of control to hold a slow pace for the first half. I think I probably could have pushed it a little harder. But it was better to find out after the race than to have crashed in the last few miles. Now 5k's are a whole other animal. When the gun goes off I am gone. I want Bling!

Didn't make it to the gym last night but did go to the green way by wolf river. Walked a couple miles I think.

Today's weight

That's a big drop since Monday. About 4 pounds.

Every day you hit the road you win. In my humble opinion, I would recommend you keep on walking and add some running a little at a time. Cardio is where you will see the most weight loss. Of course your diet, what you eat and how much matters. Weights are good cross training.

Memphis is an anomaly when it comes to fitness. We have the 4th largest running club in the US, three triathlon clubs, and miles of great places to run. There are races every weekend. And I have personally seen people start by walk/run 5k's until they are able to run. It's all down hill from there. Plus the camaraderie is a great motivator. I have a friend that was 300lbs last year. I met him at a race in Dec. He had lost a lot of weight and was running well. Three months later his is kicking my a-- at races. It was impressive.

Hang in there. HTFU.

Check out Memphis Runners Track Club. A membership will get you 15% off at Breakaway running.

Way to go !!!!

Keep going !!!!

I started a diet at the first of the year. Decided I didn't want to have to take lipitor and HBP meds the rest of my life if I could find a way to control these issues thru diet. Want to see if I can control the backaches and knee aches caused by being overweight. 1/2/10 I started a diet with the goal of dropping from 275Lbs (blossomed since I quit smoking) to 200 lbs by end of July (that would put me almost to my twenties weight). I have been on diets before Atkins and others. I usually get bored with them or tired of eating the same foods. Read a bunch of different books and online articles.

Here's what I decided to do 1600-1800 calories per day. Basically 400 calorie meals a day so I don't get the starvin Hungries. Interestingly, With the new Healthy Choice, Lean Cusiune meals I have been able to mix the food variety up and not get bored with taste.

As of this Morning I have lost 30 lbs. I now weigh 245 lbs. :clap:

Here's an average day's menu

Breakfast:

2 eggs

2 bacon strips

1/2 a thin whole wheat bun

270 calories

Vitamin/Oil mix

2 Vitamin d3

2 alive mutli vitmins

1 bcomplex

2 tsps of Cod liver fish oil lemon flavor

1/2 tbspn of Flax oil

2 oz's of Pomergranate juice

165calories

Lunch:

4 slices of deli sliced chicken 2 slices of Bacon rolled in a multi grain wrap

280 calories

Afternnon snack

Special K chocolaty bar

90 calories

Dinner:

Healthy choice entree

320 calories

After dinner 8pm

another chicken wrap or healthy choice entree

280 calories

1 Skinny Cow Ice cream sandwich

140 caolries

Total 1545 calories

This is just a base line. I can move things around add things etc. Main goal is to keep the calorie count 1600-1800 for me. 3500 calories + 1lb of fat. If you can cut out 3500 calories a week = 1lb of loss per week

Another way to do this is eat breakfast:

shrink lunch

go into dinner with 1100 calories to eat.

Then you can have

1-2 beers

2-3 of your favorite pizza

just count the calories..

I don't :drool: for any food because of the variety.

• 1 month later...

*bump*

204 days into the lifestyle change and I'm down 72.5 lbs and feeling great. Typically doing 1.5 hours of aerobics every AM now (still seven days/week) and watching the food.

Hope you guys are continuing to do well!

I'm on a diet plan thats called Medifast. I've lost about 22lbs since June 1st. The meals are ok. You get to have one lean green meal a day and 5 of there meals. You eat every 2-3 hrs. You daily intake is about 700 calories. You do get used to it.

I started a diet at the first of the year. Decided I didn't want to have to take lipitor and HBP meds the rest of my life if I could find a way to control these issues thru diet. Want to see if I can control the backaches and knee aches caused by being overweight. 1/2/10 I started a diet with the goal of dropping from 275Lbs (blossomed since I quit smoking) to 200 lbs by end of July (that would put me almost to my twenties weight). I have been on diets before Atkins and others. I usually get bored with them or tired of eating the same foods. Read a bunch of different books and online articles.

Here's what I decided to do 1600-1800 calories per day. Basically 400 calorie meals a day so I don't get the starvin Hungries. Interestingly, With the new Healthy Choice, Lean Cusiune meals I have been able to mix the food variety up and not get bored with taste.

As of this Morning I have lost 30 lbs. I now weigh 245 lbs. :clap:

Here's an average day's menu

Breakfast:

2 eggs

2 bacon strips

1/2 a thin whole wheat bun

270 calories

Vitamin/Oil mix

2 Vitamin d3

2 alive mutli vitmins

1 bcomplex

2 tsps of Cod liver fish oil lemon flavor

1/2 tbspn of Flax oil

2 oz's of Pomergranate juice

165calories

Lunch:

4 slices of deli sliced chicken 2 slices of Bacon rolled in a multi grain wrap

280 calories

Afternnon snack

Special K chocolaty bar

90 calories

Dinner:

Healthy choice entree

320 calories

After dinner 8pm

another chicken wrap or healthy choice entree

280 calories

1 Skinny Cow Ice cream sandwich

140 caolries

Total 1545 calories

This is just a base line. I can move things around add things etc. Main goal is to keep the calorie count 1600-1800 for me. 3500 calories + 1lb of fat. If you can cut out 3500 calories a week = 1lb of loss per week

Another way to do this is eat breakfast:

shrink lunch

go into dinner with 1100 calories to eat.

Then you can have

1-2 beers

2-3 of your favorite pizza

just count the calories..

I don't :doh: for any food because of the variety.

Dump the Bacon (all pork is horrible for you but Bacon is the worst)and dump the processed meats if you want to take it up a notch....

Eggwhites instead of yolks is always better...

Drinks? Water is whats best but boring as heck...........

good luck.......