Maryville Lurker

Hi guys and gals! I've been lurking around here for a while and figured I'd go ahead and join in since I've now started the process of getting my permit. Hubby and I took the HCP class last Saturday and we'll be headed to the DMV next time he's in to begin the looong wait. He's been talking for years about getting his permit and dropping hints that I should get one as well, but I never really was interested until recently.

He's a truck driver and that leaves me home alone two-three weeks at a time. Although I have a wonderful 3 year old German Shepherd who does a lovely job of being a burglar alarm, car security system and personal defense system when she's around... she can't be with me all the time.

The hubby bought a 9mm Makarov pistol in November (just cause) and we went to the range to fire it. :D:D:D:D Mama liked. Something about putting some holes in paper people just brought a smile to my face and now I want to go shooting ALL THE TIME!

Hubby bought me a Walther P22 for valentines day! :leaving: And I became a gun owner for the first time in my life. He now has a Sig Mosquito and we take those two to the range to play. He traded the Makarov. It wasn't as reliable as he'd hoped and I had a hard time working the slide on it. For a bigger gun we do have a Hi-Point C9 which stays at home. I don't know if I'll get something different for an actual carry gun or just stick with my P22 since I'm so comfortable with it. I know people say a .22 isn't a good carry option, but I'd rather be able to fire 10 rounds quickly and accurately then have to fumble with a gun that isn't as easy for me to use and end up missing and hitting something or SOMEONE I didn't want to.

So anyway.. yeah.. I've rambled.. But that's my story! Hi from Maryville! ;)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

WELCOME SamZzz....It is always good to have some more female perspectives about things. I hope you choose to participate a lot.

We can keep you company when Hubby has the "left door shut":)

I drove for about 5 years....I know it isnt an easy job, nor easy for you.

You have just made many new friends, although most of us are:screwy:...In a good way of course.

Not that it matters but I was born in Maryville but left at a very young age (5 days!) One day I will go back and check it out.

As for your 22 I also like my P22, But I am looking forward to this one hitting the shelves, I showed it to my wife and she seemed to like the idea of magnum and 30 rounds as do I.....:leaving:

Kel Tec

WELCOME SamZzz....It is always good to have some more female perspectives about things. I hope you choose to participate a lot.

We can keep you company when Hubby has the "left door shut":)

I drove for about 5 years....I know it isnt an easy job, nor easy for you.

You have just made many new friends, although most of us are:screwy:...In a good way of course.

Not that it matters but I was born in Maryville but left at a very young age (5 days!) One day I will go back and check it out.

As for your 22 I also like my P22, But I am looking forward to this one hitting the shelves, I showed it to my wife and she seemed to like the idea of magnum and 30 rounds as do I.....:D

Kel Tec

Nothing wrong with being a little :screwy: ... I think of it as a hobby myself!

That Kel Tec does look interesting... and 30 rounds without a reload! Woo! The P22 mags are easy to reload and I have two currently (plan on getting another or two). I've gotten quite good with swapping the mags out (got lots of practice during the HCP test shooting 6 rounds out of my 10 round mags!).

I plan on participating more. Assuming I have something to contribute. I'm still learning all the different rules and don't actually have my permit yet. I'm just a newbie I guess. :whistle:

Welcome to the forum SamZzz, also from MV. If you didn't know about this link is great for fluff/buff on the P22. Iv'e done most of the stuff to my P22 and has made it a very nice little fun pistol.

http://www.freespeech.com/1917-1911M_P22_bible.pdf

Well hey there neighbor! No, I didn't know about that link. Very interesting stuff! Downloaded the PDF and will certainly give it a look through. I did notice the pistol in the photos was about 5 years older than mine. Wonder if anything (other than the mag design) has changed since then. I saw somewhere that the magazines used to be bad for not feeding correctly but that changed in later models. So far I've run 350 rounds through mine since I got it on Valentine's weekend and the only problem I had was one empty that didn't eject all the way and the slide caught it. So far I'm very happy with my little friend. :rofl:

nj, Jess, Al.. where do you all go to shoot around here? We've been to Gunny's a couple times and shot at Farnsworth down in Vonore for our HCP class. I've been looking for an outdoor range since a friend of mine wants to try it out but has a newborn and doesn't want to take her into a loud, smoky room just yet. I'm thinking a nice outdoor range would be so much nicer once the weather warms up but haven't really found anything close by. Saw something about one out in the Halls Crossroads area but could have swore there was one in Blount County??

Edited by SamZzz
Added request for range info.

I just go shooting out at a friends place when no one is around,, kinda like house watching. Lets all those around know someone is there.:rofl:

welcome from knoxville. personally meet as many people here as possible and you will find out we generally bullchit alot. we often get together and shoot at Norris, $30 annual fee, July-June. John Sevier range on rifle range in ktown is ok, its outside, no 7 yd but 15 yd is the closest. CCA has ladies free on tuesdays, 1/2 price for any male shooting with you. As for the rest of it, gun show March 20/21 at Knoxville Expo Center, meet us there at 9:00 and we all drool over the stuff there. who knows, you might find something a little larger you like (Springfield XD9, XD40, etc). Post often and stay late...

welcome from knoxville. personally meet as many people here as possible and you will find out we generally bullchit alot. we often get together and shoot at Norris, $30 annual fee, July-June. John Sevier range on rifle range in ktown is ok, its outside, no 7 yd but 15 yd is the closest. CCA has ladies free on tuesdays, 1/2 price for any male shooting with you. As for the rest of it, gun show March 20/21 at Knoxville Expo Center, meet us there at 9:00 and we all drool over the stuff there. who knows, you might find something a little larger you like (Springfield XD9, XD40, etc). Post often and stay late...

Thanks for the welcome and the info. Not familiar with Norris.. Will have to look that one up.

Know all about the gun shows at the Expo Center. The show in February is where hubby picked up his Sig Mosquito and I was finally able to locate a second mag for my Walther. Looked at alot of stuff there... way too easy to go broke in that place! Walked out with the Sig, an extra mag for both my P22 and his Sig, a box of 9x18 hollow points, a box of 9mm HP and a box of 500 CCI Blazers for the .22s. Had to wipe the drool off hubby's chin after he picked up a DE .50 (darn video games, too much SOCOM :taser:) Although I wouldn't mind going back and picking up some more ammo. Hubby traded the Makarov for a 12-gauge last time he was home so we've got a gun in the cabinet with nothing to shoot out of it! :taunt: Tragedy!