What does it say about a man...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to comment along w/ JAB, and he beat me to it.

Revolver is the ultimate 'point and click' interface.

along with all the points he made, in the worse case scenario consider that your spouse may need to or have to use it.

Sadly mine isn't interested in training with anything, but i have a fair amount of confidence that anyone (her included) could 'point and click' a revolver with no prior training at contact range with some effect. much less unlikely with a semi, and particularly one with a manual safety of any kind.

'just point it at/press against the BG and keep pressing the trigger until he stops or the gun stops'

just mho...

Guest mikedwood

What about a cheap Mossberg 12 Ga or the like. If it gets stolen maybe out for under $300. Nothing says home defense like a 12 ga. It sucks to put guns on the street in the hands of thieves and criminals (I hate them) but I want fire power as well just in case.

I have a harmless looking Mossy with a slugger barrel. More of a hunting gun and it has a 24" slugger barrel. But for $229 otd it's was a deal. I personally would not want to face it down.

moss24.jpg

I had a pistol grip mossy but I'm not man enough for that.

Edited by mikedwood
I routinely and purposefully choose one of my revolvers over one of my semiautos to be the 'bedside gun'. For years, my go to bedside handgun was a Colt Police Positive that was built in the late '70s. Currently, the bedside gun is the Taurus 66 I picked up earlier this month.

I like revolvers for this purpose because if needed I will have been awakened rather suddenly and rudely from sleep and may have to shoot from a prone position with a less than optimal grip (if I have advanced warning, I'm going for the shotgun hidden just a few feet away, anyhow.) Revolvers don't care if you limp-wrist them. They don't care if you shoot them at odd angles. I don't have to worry about clearing jams with my hands shaking from nerves, in the dark, still half asleep at 3 in the morning. If the intruder is already at contact distance by the time I get a shot off, I don't have to worry about pressing the muzzle into his gut, etc. pushing the slide out of battery and preventing it from firing. If I can't get the job done with six shots, that should at least be enough to get me to the shotgun.

Using revolvers is just simple and they just plain work (yeah, I know - if a revolver jams it can be impossible to fix without a competent gunsmith but that is a pretty unlikely 'if'.) If I wind up in a true shooting scenario, I'm sure adrenaline and nerves will kick into high gear in which case simple would be good. That is why I sometimes even choose to carry my .38 snubbie instead of a semiauto.

I agree with the revolver theory. I keep a S&W 686 .367 bed side. A semi-auto in my opinion is just a little too hairy after being woken up from a sound sleep. At least with a double action revolver I have a little more control and won't shoot by mistake. :)

I don't understand, even before this thread got started, why some of the comically inept folks who claim to shoot a lot and "know" guns would even consider the opinion of a revolver being some sort of compromise in the first place.

It isn't. No need to have to justify something because of their ignorance. It is akin to convincing a hard core Chevy fan that another manufacturer isn't a steaming pile of crap....they just don't have a convincable mindset.

Also no need for anyone to be an revolver apologist...the object on the receiving end doesn't know the difference.