Any FBI members?

Guest BigNoise

Guest BigNoise

I am about to graduate college at UT here soon and I am looking at career opportunities. I will have a Sociology degree and I have a great interest in crime and deviance as well as a fascination with law enforcement and protective instincts. So, are any TGO members FBI employees? If so, can you give me some insight as to the application process and general likes/dislikes or ideas.

Thanks,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not part of the FBI but I read up on it before I applied. From what I was able to gather, they can take a while to respond to your application if they decide they want to interview you, there are basic physical requirements to pass (push ups, sit ups, etc) before you can be sent to the academy (the higher the score the better) and if I remember correctly, they wanted a few years of professional experience (ie "real" job) before you apply. Its been a while since I looked into it, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Get into accounting, law, or language preferably middle eastern or go the military route. My brother in law is heading to the FBI and he went the middle eastern route with military experience. He studied at the University of Jerusalem after college for a year and then went to Marine officers school. He just got deployed to Japan doing something in the communications field. The FBI is more communications and accounting than front line "crime fighting" that you see on TV.

Accounting?

May not have been the FBI, but accounting brought down Al Capone.

I mean, you've got to have somebody around who can understand that gobbledegook and see that the numbers don't add up. They need to track the money that sponsors things like terrorism, and IMHO, white collar criminals like Bernie "Made-Off".

And of course, to cover their own tracks :ugh:

Accounting?

Like figuring out how to charge us for a $400 hammer?

Yup. The vast majority of what the FBI does is in regard to banks and interstate commerce. In other words money. A good example is the war on drugs. It is fought mainly through accounting. Money is followed and traced through business fronts who hide revenue in the numbers. Isn't all that sexy of a job is it?

BTW - that is the main way we are fighting terrorism - financials.

A Law Degree and even Accounting are good for a specialized position in the Bureau but if you really want to get a cool gig, try a foreign language such as Arabic or Chinese and see how fast they snap you up!

Guest db99wj

They have an online application process, it tells you a lot about the process, positions, benefits, etc.

here's a link Federal Bureau of Investigation

My understanding is that if you are young without experience, your degree needs to be more closely matched to the job, as others have said, law degree, accounting, finance, etc. If you are older, and have experience, they will look past your degree, if it is not one of those above, and look at your job experience. Banking, financial services, insurance, etc is something they appear to like.

I don't work for them, I am not one of them, I have never been one of them, nor did I sleep in a Holiday Inn express last night.

Guest db99wj
Awww heck... that wasn't a put-down to the FBI. Just saying some angencies prefer their employees be more discreet than posting on a public forum, is all...

I know I know, can you imagine if one did announce that on here, all the :D type folks would be outta here!:drunk:

Guest db99wj
I have worked in banking for awhile, do you think that will help me out?

Possibly. Apply on line. What could it hurt? Either they will or won't call you back, if it is an interest, do it, or you will always wonder "what if".

Guest BigNoise

You guys are awesome! I really appreciate your input.. I am moving to Memphis later this year for about 9 months (Wife's Pharmacy school), I plan on tying to get a job that will help me gain a little formal experience that will attribute to pursuing a career with the FBI, SS, or other government agencies. What sort of jobs do you recommend? Also, if any of you have any jobs hookups let me know!!

Guest db99wj
You guys are awesome! I really appreciate your input.. I am moving to Memphis later this year for about 9 months (Wife's Pharmacy school), I plan on tying to get a job that will help me gain a little formal experience that will attribute to pursuing a career with the FBI, SS, or other government agencies. What sort of jobs do you recommend? Also, if any of you have any jobs hookups let me know!!

Living here should give you all the battle experience! Just kidding.

There is large FBI office here in Memphis, imagine that, that if I were you, would contact them. They probably have a training coordinator or recruiter here, if not at least someone that can give you some advice on whether to apply or what. The online test is lengthy by the way.

You could always try the TBI too. I think there is a location over in/around Shelby Farms (in Memphis). If you put your resume on the FBI website, you can get them to send you job openings in whatever state of your choosing (non-Special Agent positions).

Edited by Shorty