Fort Knox Safes

I thought I posted this earlier but can't find it anywhere.

I didn't want to hijack the patriot safe thread so I started this one.

What is everyone's opinion on the Ft. Knox safes? I have their handgun safe and it is built very well, maybe except for the actual bolt that locks it, but I am asking specifically about the bigger long gun safes. I normally don't hear them mentioned when people ask about safes but they seem to be very high quality and very expensive.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I posted this earlier but can't find it anywhere.

I didn't want to hijack the patriot safe thread so I started this one.

What is everyone's opinion on the Ft. Knox safes? I have their handgun safe and it is built very well, maybe except for the actual bolt that locks it, but I am asking specifically about the bigger long gun safes. I normally don't hear them mentioned when people ask about safes but they seem to be very high quality and very expensive.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Great Safes, very expensive, check out the Browning Prosteel safes, they offer better features and fire ratings at a better price.

Guest 308Phantom

I own a 28 gun FT Knoxx safe and i like it has a great fire rating. it hasnt give me a moments trouble. I have had it going on 12 years now. I am not real sure how it stacks up now, but when i was looking it was the best safe for the money.

Great Safes, very expensive, check out the Browning Prosteel safes, they offer better features and fire ratings at a better price.

What is the fire rating on a Prosteel? I tried to look on the internet and came up with 1200 for 45 minutes. All of the Fort Knox safes I've seen are at least 1450 for 50 minutes and the new models are 16something for 90 minutes.

Guest davidz71

I have a Fort Knox Executive 6637 15 gun safe that I have had for almost 12 years. It has been a great safe. While expensive, I highly recommend them.

What is the fire rating on a Prosteel? I tried to look on the internet and came up with 1200 for 45 minutes. All of the Fort Knox safes I've seen are at least 1450 for 50 minutes and the new models are 16something for 90 minutes.

If you are buying a safe for fire protection you need to determine if any of those numbers will protect a firearm from damage.

The thing to look at on a safe no matter the brand is the enternal temp during the test and the way the test was ramped up during the test. I don't have any thing bad to say about the Fort Knox safes, they just cost more than any other brand on the market. As I said Great Safe but expensive.

The Browning Prosteel safes have anywhere from a 2 hour fire rating down to a 30 minute rating. They rate their safes to an enternal temp of 275 where most other companies use a 350 degree enternal temp. I don't recommend a 30 minute fire rating no matter who makes it.

If you want a Ft Knox safe call me and I can get you a price on the model you are interested in.

• 1 month later...
If you are buying a safe for fire protection you need to determine if any of those numbers will protect a firearm from damage.

I was just asking because the statement was made that Browning safes offer a better fire rating, which seemed to be wrong.

I was just asking because the statement was made that Browning safes offer a better fire rating, which seemed to be wrong.

The fire ratings on Browning Prosteel safes are:

Bronze Series: 45 min

Copper Series: 1 hour

Silver Series: 1 hour

Medallion Series: 90 min

Gold Series: 100 min

Platinum Series: 120 min

All of their test are done to an internal temp of 275, where most other companies run their test to a temp of 350. So if you compare test Browning comes out ahead.

Fort Knox makes a great safe if you don't mine spending the extra money Fort Knox is a good choice, but for the money there are "better" safes for the money but if you want the best features, fire rating and price Browning is the winner. My company carries 7 different brands of gun safes, so don't think that I'm just pushing Browning.

:popcorn:

All of their test are done to an internal temp of 275, where most other companies run their test to a temp of 350. So if you compare test Browning comes out ahead.

I'm confused. Browning tests to a lower internal temperature, thus they come out ahead? Do other companies only test to an external temperature?

I'm confused. Browning tests to a lower internal temperature, thus they come out ahead? Do other companies only test to an external temperature?

The important thing to look at is INTERNAL temperature inside the safe during the test, because that is where your stuff is located . So if Browning has a 1 hour fire rating and the internal temperature only reached 275 degrees and another company had a 1 hour fire rating and the internal temperature reached 350 the Browning safe has a better rating. Also, when you look at someones test look how long the safe was exposed to the highest external temperature.

SH

Guest Knightsr25

I found the FT KNOX safe to be the best available in any price range I could afford . I had one of their largest safes available and loved it . I only sold it because I built an inground vault into my new home . You cant go wrong with Ft knox safes .

The important thing to look at is INTERNAL temperature inside the safe during the test, because that is where your stuff is located . So if Browning has a 1 hour fire rating and the internal temperature only reached 275 degrees and another company had a 1 hour fire rating and the internal temperature reached 350 the Browning safe has a better rating. Also, when you look at someones test look how long the safe was exposed to the highest external temperature.

SH

I think I get it now. The temperature inside the safe only reached 275 degrees in the Browning, where it reached 350 degrees in another brand, while the exterior temperature was the same for an hour?

That makes sense, I just didn't see it before.