suggestions

redneck

Fixing to get my daughter her first 22 rifle . She has been shooting mine with some help . I know some of yall have been down this road . Ideas would be great . THANKS

Edited by JHatmaker
Spelling
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you gave no age of the child.

But I bought my grandson a Savage Cub mini youth single shot rifle when he was five years old. It is a great rifle and he took right to it. Even a mini youth rifle was too long for him to hold and fire so I put a bipod on it and had him shoot it sitting down. The rifle has a rear peep sight and it was very easy to teach him sight picture and cheek weld.

He has shot thousands out of it and I have shot hundreds of rounds out of it and it is very accurate and every bit as reliable and quality made as any other Savage rifle. Not the POS cheap feel of a Chipmunk or other $100 little kid rifles. No stupid cocking knob just a regular bolt action.

Here is a link to it Savage Arms Firearms > Cub

Good luck , sounds like fun times

Guest bigbovine

I firmly agree with Mike. Based on my experience, don't get the little single shot with the cocker on the bolt. I grew up on a single shot, so when I deceided to get one for my kids to shoot, I got one thinking it would be great. Not only did I not like it, neither did they. The cocker was a pain and we had to dump the spent carytridge about 100% of the time. Mind you, that may not be normal, but it was our experience. Given that, the customer service on those were great. The cocker broke(made of plastic) and they sent a replacement free of charge, even though I had a used one( although it was NIB and never shot). They even gave me a mount to replace the stock sight so we could mount a scope. But in the end, I got rid of it. But, it did shoot. As far as new single shots, I have no experience. Ruger 10/22 are great and so is my ole Marlin 60. Best thing to do however, see what fits/ feels right to her, the absolute best thing to do. No matter which one she chooses, if it don't feel right when she sits or stands to shoot, she will not enjoy it.

I started my son (when he was 6) on a single shot Henry Mini bolt .22lr. It's alright but there is no sling swivels and has 3 huge fiber optic sight dots. It is small enough for little kids but I had to shoot it like a pistol.

He now has a Marlin 795 (which is just like a Marlin 60 except it takes magazines). The stock sights suck but we got Tech Sights for it and then just mounted a scope. I can shoot sub 1/2" groups @ 25 yards with crap bulk ammo.

1264522959.jpg

Top is a TacSol 16" 1:16 .22lr upper.

100_1517.jpg

Edited by LA_357SIG
spelling errors

Yes I did forget the age . She is 6 , been shooting her BB gun since last summer . She likes going out with me and shooting my Springfield 187A .22 semi . We were looking around on the net the other night , she picked out a SIG .22 semi .LOL I thought it was a little much for the first one . Just looking for simple ,good , and fair priced .

I'd suggest the Ruger 10/22 the basic carbine is pretty small and light. and mostly i am guessing she is going to shoot from some sort of a bench so that should make it a bit easier. The reasons i recommend the 10/22 are, they are though as nail, easy to shoot and pretty accurate. when she grows up you can get a full lenght stock for it get a different barrel, get a scope for it get the trigger done ...... so much you can do with that, and a bonus, you can also use it and not feel like you just jacked some kids rifle :D

the compact seems to be even shorter

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Compact/index.html

Edited by mk19
Guest 10mm4me

Go to a gun show and pick up a Remington Nylon 66. They are the best .22's ever made IMO. You don't ever need to clean them except for a bore-snake down the barrel every once in a while, 15rd cap, super lightweight, well made, historically important (one of the first to use synthetics), I have my dad's and I love it. You can get them for about $150. Read some of the crazy testing they did on this rifle, like firing 100,000 rds w/fewer than 10 malfunctions, dropping it from a 10 story building onto concrete and it working just fine afterwards.

Guest rockytop

I Have been thinking about a Marlin model 925 for my 7 year old grandson. It is a bolt action with a seven shot magazine. I sort of think that a bolt action will be safer to start him with than a semi-automatic. This might also work for you.

Mossberg makes a pretty good lil .22 with synthetic stocks around $120 at wally world. My older Brother bought both of his girls one for X-Mas and mounted a scope on each and they love theirs .

The Rifle my kids have been training on Is a Marlin model 60SB great gun never had a problem with it after 5k+ rounds it rarely has a FTE or jam only when it is very dirty .It does not seem to like Winchester's bobcat ammo .I shoot only Remington and federals out of it now no problems.We usually go through about 200+ rounds with it in an afternoon at the range so it has been a very reliable and fun training rifle .Not to mention its still my primary squirell gun.