Media Lies. Someone Needs to Sue

Guest CrazyLincoln

Guest CrazyLincoln

OK. Several media outlets have indirectly QUOTED this police chief as saying an AK-47 was used. Tell me where in this video you hear the words "AK-47"

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gSZwDMwGoM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&newwindow=1&um=1&tab=wn&q=omaha+ak-47&btnG=Search+News

presumably the AK-47 assault rifle used in the rampage.

Police believe Hawkins stole the AK-47 from his stepfather's home, Warren said. They are trying to trace the weapon and determine whether the stepfather owned it legally, he added.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/12/06/mall.shooting/?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

Hawkins was hiding and AK-47 in a black sweatshirt.

Authorities think at least 30 rounds were fired from his AK-47 rifle.

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/usa/news/article_1379140.php/Omaha_Mall_employees_hard_hit_by_shooting_deaths

The list goes on and on. Unless they police chief gave another speech, I don't know what to say....

EDIT: A contradictory article added:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-mall7dec07,1,6727552.story?coll=la-headlines-nation&track=crosspromo

Hawkins apparently stole from his stepfather the AK-47 he used to kill two shoppers and six employees of the Von Maur department store. Five other people were injured, and two remained in critical condition.

Police said they found Hawkins' body less than an hour after the first 911 calls were received. An SKS semiautomatic rifle was recovered, Warren said. ABC News reported that officials said the weapon had two loaded magazines taped together -- a technique that enables a shooter to reload quickly.

Well, which is it??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most people think that AKs and SKSs are the same thing... thing is, it really doesn't matter what the rifle was an SKS, AK, AR or Mosin Nagant, this kid was not supposed to have it, and regardless of how he did what he did, or what he used, he obviously had the desire to hurt people. He could just have easily used explosives, fire, or edged weapons...

It's simply the knee-jerk reaction of the media to focus on the 'evil gun', and exaggerate it's description, instead of focusing on the nature of the human behind it. That gun wasn't harming anybody until he took it and intentionally used it for evil.

Guest canynracer

not to be an a$$..but does it really matter? the story doesnt change...it reads:

"boy had "high powered rifle" and killed innocent people while they were trying to have a happy holiday, he was a total tool, you dont need to know his name cause he isnt worth it, but he did it and killed himself cause he was a chicken shieeet that couldnt man up and mess with someone that could mess back...

we are all glad he took his life, and we are deeply sorry for the lives he took, and the trauma he caused to the victims and their families during this holiday season.

the shoppers that witness this cowardly act will never in their life be the same, and for that we ask that you keep them in your prayers this holiday season"

end of story, he is irrelevant, and so is the weapon he used.

/end rant

Guest CrazyLincoln

Is it relevant to the story? No.

What scares me is that they can make things up and its still 'credible'.

Most sheeple don't know what an SKS is, but an AK-47 is a "scary gun" that some will argue "needs to get banned".

Agenda molded news is scary.

Guest canynracer
Is it relevant to the story? No.

What scares me is that they can make things up and its still 'credible'.

Most sheeple don't know what an SKS is, but an AK-47 is a "scary gun" that some will argue "needs to get banned".

Agenda molded news is scary.

If it mentioned SKS, they would just go into another segment about what the SKS is, what it was invented for, and why IT now is the most dangerous rifle on the planet, and should be banned...

..they are already arguing that ALL guns be banned...those are people that dont understand the difference, they hear "assault rifle" which means handguns, rifles, shotguns, slingshots, rubber bands, and then eventually rocks...

Guest slothful1

I heard a clip about this on the radio at lunchtime today (during a break of the Neal Boortz show), and I'm 99% sure that they had audio of an LEO of some kind saying it was an AK-47. Don't know if it was this police chief, though.

Guest CrazyLincoln
whats REALLY scary, is out of this tragedy, they are concerned with the type of rifle, and the buttheads name

Agreed :up:

Just for the record, I'm not trying to downplay the tradegy, but I just wanted to bring this to light.

not to be an a$$..but does it really matter? the story doesnt change...it reads:

"boy had "high powered rifle" and killed innocent people while they were trying to have a happy holiday, he was a total tool, you dont need to know his name cause he isnt worth it, but he did it and killed himself cause he was a chicken shieeet that couldnt man up and mess with someone that could mess back...

we are all glad he took his life, and we are deeply sorry for the lives he took, and the trauma he caused to the victims and their families during this holiday season.

the shoppers that witness this cowardly act will never in their life be the same, and for that we ask that you keep them in your prayers this holiday season"

end of story, he is irrelevant, and so is the weapon he used.

/end rant

Of course it's relevant. The kid's name is relevant. The name of the mall is relevant. The names of the victims are relevant. This is news. It is about details. News is about "who,what,when,where, and how."

When any of you heard about this, how many wondered what type of gun he used?

I agree it would be unfortunate if this became a springboard to ban SKS's or AKs or any other gun. I agree the media generally know zilch about guns and so mis-report and gets their facts consistently wrong. That is inexcusable, as accuracy is supposed to be a standard in reporting.

Guest canynracer
Of course it's relevant. The kid's name is relevant. The name of the mall is relevant. The names of the victims are relevant. This is news. It is about details. News is about "who,what,when,where, and how."

I agree it would be unfortunate if this became a springboard to ban SKS's or AKs or any other gun. I agree the media generally know zilch about guns and so mis-report and gets their facts consistently wrong. That is inexcusable, as accuracy is supposed to be a standard in reporting.

why does his name matter? how does that make the tragedy whole? we continue to publicize these dirt bags, and give them media attention so they can make a name for themselves.

The name of the mall does matter. people need to know what happened in their area...

the type of gun? why does the public need that? because we "wondered" ? if you are a non-gun guy, it means nothing except a "bad gun that kills innocent people"

i agree but think it should stay out of national news.they all want to become famous.keep it local,keep the facts!