Okay, I understand the basics and I think I've decided I want a SBR. I really like the 7.5" Noveske Diplomat, but I'd also really like to spend less than their asking price. I've also seen Bravo Company and a couple of others that offer SBR packages. Can someone help me weed through the information out there? Who are the best dealers in the SBR world? Am I better off (cost and quality wise) buying a SBR upper and then building my own lower? Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really surprised no one else has chimed in here. I'm only somewhat familiar with NFA items, but from what I understand, it'd likely be cheaper to obtain the lower first, submit the paperwork and $ and then, after receiving ATF approval, buy the upper and complete the build. That way you'd avoid any dealer transfer fees (which are usually much higher for NFA items). I definitely wouldn't suggest getting the upper first. You'll need the lower (serial number) for the paperwork and possessing the lower and upper could be viewed by the ATF as constructive possession of an NFA weapon.

As far as quality, it all depends on what type of components you use, but I think you'll be hard pressed to overcome the quality of a Noveske.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of NFA items will throw in their @.02 soon.

Good luck!

Guest 73challenger

I don't have experience however I've read some people build a AR pistol so they can use their weapon till they get their stamp.

Guest thorn
I'm really surprised no one else has chimed in here. I'm only somewhat familiar with NFA items, but from what I understand, it'd likely be cheaper to obtain the lower first, submit the paperwork and $ and then, after receiving ATF approval, buy the upper and complete the build. That way you'd avoid any dealer transfer fees (which are usually much higher for NFA items). I definitely wouldn't suggest getting the upper first. You'll need the lower (serial number) for the paperwork and possessing the lower and upper could be viewed by the ATF as constructive possession of an NFA weapon.

As far as quality, it all depends on what type of components you use, but I think you'll be hard pressed to overcome the quality of a Noveske.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of NFA items will throw in their @.02 soon.

Good luck!

Anything you think you're saving, you'll ultimately end up spending in engraving and all the shipping costs.

You can find complete Diplomats right at 2K and even as low as $1,500 on from 3's plus the $200 stamp. No tax, shipping included, and our C-3's don't charge much for the transfer.

Guest thorn

One more thing to consider is that you'll be getting the NFA bug and want a suppressor (needing the 10" barrel). The Diplomat run's with that Pig brake on it, so overall I think it's only 2" shorter than a 10.5" barrel with a standard flash hider.

I built mine. It's hard to find a 7" 458 Socom. If you buy a lower, have it registered as a pistol. You can then order the upper and have it at the house with the lower. Once the form 1 comes back, order your stock. Do not have an extra stock in your house... Do your engraving while your form 1 is out. Some don't like to do this in case the engraver Fs up the engraving. I sent mine to Orion they put my avatar on the mag housing. The entire process took 1 month 29 days and the gun is 23"

458Socom10-13-09004.jpg

One more thing to consider is that you'll be getting the NFA bug and want a suppressor (needing the 10" barrel). The Diplomat run's with that Pig brake on it, so overall I think it's only 2" shorter than a 10.5" barrel with a standard flash hider.

That's definitely something I was considering. Any truth to the story that most suppressor companies won't warranty suppressors on SBRs less than 10"?

Build you own. It's a lot more fun, and you get exactly what you want. ATF Form 1 and the usual photos, signatures, fingerprints and compliance cert are all you need.

We can shorten the barrel and stamp it for you for $65.00 when you get your tax stamp back, do it all the time.

That's definitely something I was considering. Any truth to the story that most suppressor companies won't warranty suppressors on SBRs less than 10"?

Never heard that before. And, if that were true, then why do many makers have product demo pics with their products attached to SBRs?

I just got back from visiting with Mike at Predator Customs. I think for my impatience and short term gratification I'm going to get an AR pistol lower and a Predator 11.5" upper (threaded barrel, quad rail, flip up front and rear sights). Then I can buy/build a rifle lower for the SBR and not worry about the wait time for the stamp. Am I missing anything? Any huge flaws in this plan other than having an extra pistol lower in the end?

I just got back from visiting with Mike at Predator Customs. I think for my impatience and short term gratification I'm going to get an AR pistol lower and a Predator 11.5" upper (threaded barrel, quad rail, flip up front and rear sights). Then I can buy/build a rifle lower for the SBR and not worry about the wait time for the stamp. Am I missing anything? Any huge flaws in this plan other than having an extra pistol lower in the end?

There is no need to have an extra pistol lower. The pistol lower becomes the SBR once the form 1 comes back. For about 2 months you will just have a pistol with some extra engraving.

Why??

Suppressors are rated for a cartridge, but that's not the whole story. It is actually pressure. It is easy to understand a rating like "308 with a barrel no less than 10.5 in " The pressure at the muzzle of a 308 with a 10" barrel may be much higher than a 300 Win Mag with a 26-27 " barrel. There is also a sandblasting affect that happens to your blast baffle. You can over come it by using a quick detach style suppressor that uses a brake instead of a flash hider. As far as stability goes. As you cut the barrel down you lose velocity and RPM. You still have a 1 in 10 rate of twist, but in theory you could get slow enough to loose stability. I have shot 308s and 223s very slow without problems.

Advanced Armament :: Cyclops

I would build my own. You can build it for way under $1500 and put exactly what you want on it the first time. As far as the suppressor you CAN shoot them on barrels under 10", BUT I wouldnt. It will shorten the life of your suppressor. It will be louder and it will have more muzzle blast. From what I have heard the 11.25" barrels are the best length on DI guns with a suppressor. And the length dosent really matter on piston guns as far as function.

Of coarse it depends on your caliber as well. A 7" 308 would be bad. A 7" AR cambered in 9mm would be perfectly acceptable with a 9mm suppressor. It's all about muzzle pressure. I would shoot an 8" 300 whisper suppressed all day long. I would not let a voided warranty stop me if it is what I wanted. A faster twist barrel and a brake will fix most issues. A piston gun will also be louder and does require some dwell time.

That's awesome. Any particular reason you went that short on the .458, or just wanted to?

Either one is okay with me, that's a cool gun. :D

It's mainly for hunting with 530gr subsonics suppressed. I always wanted a 458 and a SBR, but Marty at Teppo Jutsu had his house destroyed by a hurricane and was a year behind. I was looking for 8" barrel. Conventional wisdom says anything shorter than 7 1/2 will have problems. He was not even taking orders for a year, but he did have a 7" upper that he experimented with that he said he would sell. So that's how it came to be. The form 4 for the suppressor should be back in about 6 weeks. With it on the gun It will be the same length as an AR with a 16 1/2 barrel. I have added the 3 position gas block.

4583pgb001.jpg

It's mainly for hunting with 530gr subsonics suppressed. I always wanted a 458 and a SBR, but Marty at Teppo Jutsu had his house destroyed by a hurricane and was a year behind. I was looking for 8" barrel.

I see. Didn't think about hunting with a suppressor. A friend of mine had one of Marty's .458 rifles, I think it was a 20" barrel. Really nice rifle.

Guest VolDaddy

I have a detailed post in this forum on the SBR 9mm I built. Bought the sbr lower from Hero Gear. Stop by ther if you have questions great people and will field any question you may have.

Guest moreland281

I picked up x2 colt 6933 (SBR) for $950 each last year (+ Xfer fee to ATF, + Dealer Xfer Fee) if you look around I'm sure you will find a dealer that will do the xfer for you fairly cheap)