Educate Me on AR-15 Please

Guest 6.8 AR

I know everyone has an opinion... but, I'm considering a Double Star factory gun. Anything to look out for? Good points and bad points would be appreciated. Thanks.

The only thing I have ever heard about Doublestar was from a dealer that bought a group of AR's that had some problems like improperly torqued

barrel nuts, which is easily fixed, but you wouldn't want to go to the range

and fire it like that. It probably was an assembly oversight that got corrected immediately when he called Doublestar. He fixed all of his and never had any

complaints afterwards. The guy has a good reputation and he let his buyers know about it before he sold them. That's all I have heard. I doubt that ever happened again. But I can't speak to the quality, having never owned one.

It's probably like most other AR's. Good to go.:confused:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rystine
"You don't really want to buy a $600-800 version of a rifle/carbine that should cost at least $1000." Not really sure what you mean by this saying in your post? Ever bought a $20K automobile for $12K because it is no longer new, and the seller "needs" money? I want the most I can get for my money. I believe that's the American way. Thanks for your post.

Obviously I meant a $1000 dollars if the rifle is brand new. It's tough to put a price on how much you want to spend if your talking about used weapons because there's so many variables, ESPECIALLY when your talking about AR's.

Just be aware that there's usually a good reason that you can have two AR's that look exactly alike on the outside, but have one cost only $600 and another $1200

This is worth a look

M4 CHART

Why not just buy what you have been looking for, Savage .223's are everywhere. They are a very common rifle I am sure every vendor on this board has one or can get one. I bet you could get on from Wally World.

No disrespect "The One", but you obviously haven't been looking for one like I have for the last year. The .223s are not that common in the Savage Model 10 that I have been looking for. Believe me, if you've been on GOC, you've got to remember seeing my ads for the last ten months.

I've just given up on the Savage Model 10 in .223, and decided I'd rather go with the AR-15 in .223, for faster follow up shots on the yotes. Even the pros need them!

Thanks for your input.

Obviously I meant a $1000 dollars if the rifle is brand new. It's tough to put a price on how much you want to spend if your talking about used weapons because there's so many variables, ESPECIALLY when your talking about AR's.

Just be aware that there's usually a good reason that you can have two AR's that look exactly alike on the outside, but have one cost only $600 and another $1200

This is worth a look

M4 CHART

Thanks "rystine" for your insight on the AR-15s. I'm a newbie to them, and appreciate your info, especially this chart. I'll be printing it out, studying it, and using it for reference from here on out. Just one question... the Brands "seem" to be listed left to right in the order of superiority... or by which is the overall "better" brand. Is this the case, as far as you're concerned? I was surprised to see the DPMS at the end of the list! Thanks again.

• Moderators
Thanks "rystine" for your insight on the AR-15s. I'm a newbie to them, and appreciate your info, especially this chart. I'll be printing it out, studying it, and using it for reference from here on out. Just one question... the Brands "seem" to be listed left to right in the order of superiority... or by which is the overall "better" brand. Is this the case, as far as you're concerned? I was surprised to see the DPMS at the end of the list! Thanks again.

Many people are, but they shouldn't be.

As far as the left to right listing, the farther left you go the more closely a specific brand adheres to the M4 Technical Data Package (TDP). The intended usage of the rifle will determine what items on the list apply to you, with some being absolute necessities (properly staked gas key) and some not so much depending on intended function (extractor spring insert, hand guards, barrel twist). Bear in mind also that this chart is based around the M4 with a carbine length gas system and if you have a rifle length AR, some of these items will not apply to your weapon.

Guest 6.8 AR

DPMS is good enough. Most on that list are much more

expensive. Their stuff is great for a first gun. It was

my first AR and I still have it. Bought it in 1987 and it

is a go to gun.

The only thing I disagree with that list on is, if it is ranked

left best and right worst, then Model 1 would have been

farther right and Noveske would have been all the way

to the left. Still a good list to compare.

No disrespect "The One", but you obviously haven't been looking for one like I have for the last year. The .223s are not that common in the Savage Model 10 that I have been looking for. Believe me, if you've been on GOC, you've got to remember seeing my ads for the last ten months.

I've just given up on the Savage Model 10 in .223, and decided I'd rather go with the AR-15 in .223, for faster follow up shots on the yotes. Even the pros need them!

Thanks for your input.

Have you looked on Gunbroker or Buds Guns they have Savage model 10 .223's in stock right now. Why would you "give up" on a gun that you could buy today?

Guest rystine

I wouldn't say that the "superior" brands are further left on the chart. Like Chuck said, it's simply those that are closer to mil-spec. And alot of what is closer to mil-spec isn't necessarily good or better, it's simply what the military want's. For example, I could care less is an AR has a single layered heat shield, because I'm probably putting rails on it anyway. And it doesn't matter much if it has a mil-spec vs. commercial sized reciever extension as that has no effect on performance, just aftermarket options for stocks.

What the chart does do is give you an idea of some of the little things that make a difference in pricing, like more stringent QC. And it definitely gives you a lot of information on little things that you can look for in an AR when you're going to buy one.

There's nothing wrong with buying an AR further to the right on "the chart". Just simply be aware that you're buying a rifle with a slower twist rate, or a non mil-spec barrel steel, etc.

Have you looked on Gunbroker or Buds Guns they have Savage model 10 .223's in stock right now. Why would you "give up" on a gun that you could buy today?

My bad... maybe I didn't explain that I was looking for a "used" Savage Model 10, from an individual, not a gun store, and at a price that fit my budget. Not to say I'm cheap... but I'm a Dave Ramsey fan, and always want the most bang for my buck. Yea, I guess I am cheap. Thanks again for your post.

I understand you are ready to puchase a fully functional AR-15 at a decent price. If you can forgo the instant gratification I dont see any disadvantage from building your own. You will feel a sense of great pride and accomplishment from building your own rifle. Also, you will understand more of how it works and how to fix the things that can break.

I would start with a stripped lower. Any lower will do as they are all about the same, just pick a company with a logo you like. :hat: Then you will need a lower parts kit, I have both CMMG and RRA lower parts kits and again, they are all about the same too. You can always upgrade the trigger later if you decide.

Magpul makes some awesome furniture at a great price! I have both a Magpul stock, handguards, and a bunch of their magazines.

To keep things easy for myself, I just purchased a STAG complete upper instead of building from the ground up which requires more specialty tools to keep it easy.

The M4 is the mans version of a barbie doll. Anything and everything can be upgraded later as you become more knowledgable about what you want in the gun as well as having the funds to do so!

I have a ton of useful links to purchase these items as well as awesome instructions on how to build it. PM me if you would like the info as I am sure you probably have enough of your own already.

I dont consider myself handy and it surprised me how easy it was. I can also compile a list of tools you need so you dont waste money on the tools you dont.

Here is a pic of my rifle before the magpul handguard upgrade. I just purchased the parts as I had the financial means to do so!

DSC01038.jpg

I understand you are ready to puchase a fully functional AR-15 at a decent price. If you can forgo the instant gratification I dont see any disadvantage from building your own. You will feel a sense of great pride and accomplishment from building your own rifle. Also, you will understand more of how it works and how to fix the things that can break.

I would start with a stripped lower. Any lower will do as they are all about the same, just pick a company with a logo you like. :D Then you will need a lower parts kit, I have both CMMG and RRA lower parts kits and again, they are all about the same too. You can always upgrade the trigger later if you decide.

Magpul makes some awesome furniture at a great price! I have both a Magpul stock, handguards, and a bunch of their magazines.

To keep things easy for myself, I just purchased a STAG complete upper instead of building from the ground up which requires more specialty tools to keep it easy.

The M4 is the mans version of a barbie doll. Anything and everything can be upgraded later as you become more knowledgable about what you want in the gun as well as having the funds to do so!

I have a ton of useful links to purchase these items as well as awesome instructions on how to build it. PM me if you would like the info as I am sure you probably have enough of your own already.

I dont consider myself handy and it surprised me how easy it was. I can also compile a list of tools you need so you dont waste money on the tools you dont.

Here is a pic of my rifle before the magpul handguard upgrade. I just purchased the parts as I had the financial means to do so!

DSC01038.jpg

Slappy, thanks and congratulations on your build. That's a good looking AR. I have acquired an AR, and ran around 40 rounds through it today. It is an interim gun to get that shooter's fix with, while I slowly and meticulously build that AR that I want to bag some yotes with. I'll be following your suggestions pretty close, and in that vain am looking for that nice stripped lower... from an "individual", not an FFL. "The man" already knows too much about me, and all of us. I have no reason to not make my purchase public other than I don't want to. So, if you have an extra laying around, and want to sell it, shoot me a PM. I'm also open to other AR parts as well, as long as the barrel is clearly marked. Thanks to all, and I'm still hoping to get tips on this build process. I'm looking forward to it. Those of you that have already built yours can appreciate what I'm about to go through.

Edit Update: Thanks to everyone that has offered help in my quest for a fully functional AR-15. This afternoon, I traded the above mentioned Bushy on a like new Bushy with only 40 rounds down the tube. I can't wait to shoot this one. I believe this one just might be a keeper. This one has the HBAR that ought to make a good yote gun, and hopefully a pretty good paper puncher too. Now, if I can just figure out how to get that apeture sight on the A3 handle to flip up and down! It feels like it's locked! Told you I am a newbie!

Edited by Sidewinder
Update Edit