Home defense weapon.

for any defense at all dont settle for a 9mm IMHO and i also say check out the XD line

:D effectiveness is equal to just about anything out there short of 10 mm./44mag. according to every study ever done, if not better in some cases. You also don't have to deal with excessive noise, flame, or recoil like in other cartridges such as .40, .357 SIG, .45 ect. Not to mention less stress on the gun, lighter gun, more rounds, less reloading, more practice, cheaper,..............

There are those that just will continue to believe larger calibers are better cause its makes sense to them and that what near 100 yrd old ball ammo data said. That's fine. Just remember there were also those that believed the earth was flat because it just made sense too them as well. :cheers:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David865

I was deciding on a g19 or an xd 9 sc and tried them both at the local range. Both were fine guns. I went with the xd 9 sc mainly because of the grip angle and the rear grip safety. Go somewhere and try some different ones out. When you find one that fits good and shoots good for you buy it. You won't go wrong as long as its what fits you best.

:D effectiveness is equal to just about anything out there short of 10 mm./44mag. according to every study ever done, if not better in some cases. You also don't have to deal with excessive noise, flame, or recoil like in other cartridges such as .40, .357 SIG, .45 ect. Not to mention less stress on the gun, lighter gun, more rounds, less reloading, more practice, cheaper,..............

There are those that just will continue to believe larger calibers are better cause its makes sense to them and that what near 100 yrd old ball ammo data said. That's fine. Just remember there were also those that believed the earth was flat because it just made sense too them as well. :cheers:

Don't get me wrong... I have more confidence in my 45 than I do in my 9's, but I shoot about as well with each. I don't feel underpowered with a 9. It's still good enough for the US military, and a whole buttload of military and police around the world.

I went down to Carters supply shop, and got to shoot a G19, S&W M&P9c, and the XD 9mm SC. I also shot the XD .4 SC (with extended mag with grip spacer). I went with the M&P. I like the wight, grip angle, and the recoil. The misses also really liked it (the main reason I went with the M&P, personally I liked the XD 9mm the best, but I'll get that in the summer when I have a little bit more $$. I personally like the weight, feel, and recoil of the 9mm caliber. Clips hold more rounds, it's easy to re-aquire your target, and they're light. So I think (especially since I want to be able to carry) For now I'll stick with the 9mm. A little later down the road I'll get a .45, but for now, 9mm it is. I also bought some Remington gold tip JHP's to keep in the mag at home, and a big 'ol box of UMC's to use at the range. Plan on taking my wife out to the range tomorrow, maybe use up 100 rounds or so.

Nice choice. It's what i carry. Make sure you send in the rebate and get your two free mags or $50!

I actually got it gently used, but it is in perfect condition, I got to shoot it at their range, and had no problems with it. It had two mags with it, and one has the short hand extension.

Great, you got a very good firearm.:koolaid:

Now back to the alarm problem:

Motion going off in the middle of the night with no movement? or middle of the day for that matter.

Window open?Yes, close window (they can see drapes), NO? next question.

animals in the house? Yes? make sure motions are pet immune. No? go to next question.

if the answer on question 1 and 2 are no. Then look for spider webs around the motion (or evidence of a critter). Open the motion and examine the inside. No spider, or critter? Plase moth ball in motion cover (usually with a dab of silicone) and close cover.

If it does it again, change motion.

Hope this helps.

Oh and if you want to improve the trigger of the M&P google Apex Tactical. They make 2 parts that make the M&P 1000 times better.

Great, you got a very good firearm.:koolaid:

Now back to the alarm problem:

Motion going off in the middle of the night with no movement? or middle of the day for that matter.

Window open?Yes, close window (they can see drapes), NO? next question.

animals in the house? Yes? make sure motions are pet immune. No? go to next question.

if the answer on question 1 and 2 are no. Then look for spider webs around the motion (or evidence of a critter). Open the motion and examine the inside. No spider, or critter? Plase moth ball in motion cover (usually with a dab of silicone) and close cover.

If it does it again, change motion.

Hope this helps.

Oh and if you want to improve the trigger of the M&P google Apex Tactical. They make 2 parts that make the M&P 1000 times better.

No open window, no animals.

However, I have a theory on the motion sensor.

A little bit of background info. We have a decorative glass panel front door, with a security door in front of it, and we leave lights on in our den at night. There is about a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the safety door, and the porch, a big moth could easily fit in there.

Story - The night that the motion sensor had gone off, my wife had broken on of the glass panels on our front door earlier that day. I didn't get a chance to get out and replace it that day, so it was just going to have to wait until the next day. I didn't think anything about it since we have the security door. My theory is that since we leave lights on in the den at night, a moth may have flown under the security door, through the broken panel, and set off the motion sensor because it was flying around in our den. It's just a theory, but the last two nights it hasn't happened, and I replaced the glass panel the day after the incident happened.

Apex Tactical huh? I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

I went down to Carters supply shop, and got to shoot a G19, S&W M&P9c, and the XD 9mm SC. I also shot the XD .4 SC (with extended mag with grip spacer). I went with the M&P. I like the wight, grip angle, and the recoil. The misses also really liked it (the main reason I went with the M&P, personally I liked the XD 9mm the best, but I'll get that in the summer when I have a little bit more $$. I personally like the weight, feel, and recoil of the 9mm caliber. Clips hold more rounds, it's easy to re-aquire your target, and they're light. So I think (especially since I want to be able to carry) For now I'll stick with the 9mm. A little later down the road I'll get a .45, but for now, 9mm it is. I also bought some Remington gold tip JHP's to keep in the mag at home, and a big 'ol box of UMC's to use at the range. Plan on taking my wife out to the range tomorrow, maybe use up 100 rounds or so.

great choice Red...

the M&P's are nice...I've been eyeing one myself, and kind of wanted to steer you that way...but thought better of it, since it's just my opinion. ;)

nothing wrong with a Glock...but I like the M&P's much better...

make sure you run at least a full box of your carry ammo thru the gun to make sure everything functions right. (personally, I do 200 rnds...but that's just me).

when your alarm goes off again @ 2:00a.m. is not the time to find out it doesn't like your carry load....:koolaid:

congrats on the new pistol...and keep us posted on how you like it.

great choice Red...

the M&P's are nice...I've been eyeing one myself, and kind of wanted to steer you that way...but thought better of it, since it's just my opinion. ;)

nothing wrong with a Glock...but I like the M&P's much better...

make sure you run at least a full box of your carry ammo thru the gun to make sure everything functions right. (personally, I do 200 rnds...but that's just me).

when your alarm goes off again @ 2:00a.m. is not the time to find out it doesn't like your carry load....:koolaid:

congrats on the new pistol...and keep us posted on how you like it.

Good advice, thanks.

Guest HvyMtl

Ok. You have a handgun. Now what?

Practice. Practice. Practice. Ensure you have proper training.

Have the firearm in a safe place where you can quickly retrieve it when you are in bed... Seconds count.

Look for a good holster, and carry the gun on yourself when you are not in bed.

See if the wife wants a firearm for herself. IF she does, LET HER CHOOSE it... Let her learn from a professional instructor how to shoot.

Remember: You want her to be safe, so SHE must be comfortable with the firearm and training. DO NOT force the topic, her being comfortable with the process is crucial. DO NOT teach her yourself. You want her to be happy with you in the process, not frustrated with you. IF she has an interest go to the corneredcat.com and read up. The quickest way she will hate guns is if you go "macho" on it...

Go ahead and look into getting a carry permit. It brings peace of mind.

PS: Also remember to put the seat down, and bras do not go in the dryer... :koolaid:

Ok. You have a handgun. Now what?

Practice. Practice. Practice. Ensure you have proper training.

Have the firearm in a safe place where you can quickly retrieve it when you are in bed... Seconds count.

Look for a good holster, and carry the gun on yourself when you are not in bed.

See if the wife wants a firearm for herself. IF she does, LET HER CHOOSE it... Let her learn from a professional instructor how to shoot.

Remember: You want her to be safe, so SHE must be comfortable with the firearm and training. DO NOT force the topic, her being comfortable with the process is crucial. DO NOT teach her yourself. You want her to be happy with you in the process, not frustrated with you. IF she has an interest go to the corneredcat.com and read up. The quickest way she will hate guns is if you go "macho" on it...

Go ahead and look into getting a carry permit. It brings peace of mind.

PS: Also remember to put the seat down, and bras do not go in the dryer... ;)

Thanks for all the good advice.

;) I do the first, but the second I already learned the hard way :koolaid:

No open window, no animals.

However, I have a theory on the motion sensor.

A little bit of background info. We have a decorative glass panel front door, with a security door in front of it, and we leave lights on in our den at night. There is about a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the safety door, and the porch, a big moth could easily fit in there.

Story - The night that the motion sensor had gone off, my wife had broken on of the glass panels on our front door earlier that day. I didn't get a chance to get out and replace it that day, so it was just going to have to wait until the next day. I didn't think anything about it since we have the security door. My theory is that since we leave lights on in the den at night, a moth may have flown under the security door, through the broken panel, and set off the motion sensor because it was flying around in our den. It's just a theory, but the last two nights it hasn't happened, and I replaced the glass panel the day after the incident happened.

Apex Tactical huh? I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

The moth would have to have landed right on the motion, 6 to 8 inches away and it would not be seen. The moth ball trick works on spiders, moths, flys, and other creepy crawlers.

I had the same thing happen to me week before last while I was out of town, motion went off, no break in, nothing around it. was the second time for this detector so I changed it out.

And yes apex tactical is great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Engloid

I know that I really like Glocks. I have shot the 17, 19, 26, 27, 31, and 33. I personally like the feel and weight of the compact and subcompact over the standard.

Personally, I like the Springfield XD's. But... if the day comes up that you need to use it to defend your home, the way it FEELS in your hand will not matter at all!! :koolaid:

I'd choose based on the following criteria:

Reliability

Ammo that it shoots

In other words, I wouldn't pick a 22 of any brand or reliability rating. I'm an XD guy, but I don't really think you can go wrong with the reliability of them or a Glock. As for the calibur, I'd go with a 40 or 45, because you want power, not velocity.

Guest FiddleDog

Have you considered hardening the entrance, like like Door Jamb Armour? I'd also consider putting a deadbolt that requires a key on either side if you have decorative glass. That way a would be intruder would have to break a person sized hole through the door instead of just a hand sized hole.

Guest Engloid
Have you considered hardening the entrance, like like Door Jamb Armour? I'd also consider putting a deadbolt that requires a key on either side if you have decorative glass. That way a would be intruder would have to break a person sized hole through the door instead of just a hand sized hole.

Tougher doors are great, but everybody knows that windows are the weak point and easiest to enter. I figure as long as entering forcibly through a door makes a lot of noise, it's at least as secure as a window.

Guest Glock23ForMe

My girlfriend and her roommate have a unique sense of home security. They put a stick under the door handle and to the floor, so if someone jimmy's the lock, the door won't push in. I do not like this idea. I'm gonna teach my girl how to shoot a handgun and shotgun and invest in one of the two for her before long. I have some kind of security system in my home that props up against the door, but its in the corner next to it, and its a loaded 12-gauge. I don't need no stinkin' 2x4

Guest faust921

I'd rethink. Do you want to sleep well at night? Police 12 GA and #4 buckshot. Put a good light on it and replace the stock with a pistol grip. I'd also head down to the shelter and adopt an nice alert mutt. You'd be surprised the shenanigans the dog will alert you to.

Guest Not2Loud4u

my wife and I both carry Glocks 19 & 26. compact, yet effective! Both excellent guns. Make sure you buy a gun that the ammo is accessible. Certain calibers are hard to come by right now. You can usually find 9mm very easily.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I'd rethink. Do you want to sleep well at night? Police 12 GA and #4 buckshot. Put a good light on it and replace the stock with a pistol grip. I'd also head down to the shelter and adopt an nice alert mutt. You'd be surprised the shenanigans the dog will alert you to.

I told her numerous times that I don't like that idea. I also tell her that I'm gonna sneak my 12 gauge over there and put it in the corner, especially for when I'm there. I mean, my .40 is normally within arms reach, on the floor next to the couch or something, but still.. A 2x4?!

Guest rsgillmd
I told her numerous times that I don't like that idea. I also tell her that I'm gonna sneak my 12 gauge over there and put it in the corner, especially for when I'm there. I mean, my .40 is normally within arms reach, on the floor next to the couch or something, but still.. A 2x4?!

I'm a recent convert to firearms, although I doubt my parents ever will be. However, there is nothing wrong with a piece of wood, especially for a sliding door, as long as that is not your only means of defense.

My parents live in a safe neighborhood in a town in NJ (although not as nice as it used to be). From the beginning my parents placed a piece of wood into the gap where the sliding door would slide. While it won't 100% prevent crime, at least it is a simple system that won't malfunction. Something is better than nothing.

My choice of self defense right now is a Sig P229. Eventually when I have a little more education on them, I'll probably get a shotgun.

Edited by rsgillmd
Added another paragraph.
Guest Engloid
I have some kind of security system in my home that props up against the door, but its in the corner next to it, and its a loaded 12-gauge. I don't need no stinkin' 2x4

I don't keep a gun by the door. I keep it where I will be at night, or where I can get to it quickly.

If somebody kicks your door down, do you really want to provide them a shotgun as a "door prize?" :D

Don't forget the other two items you should always have with your gun and spare mag; a good flashlight and your cell phone. These items should go hand in hand with your gun. Anytime you think about grabbing your gun for a bump in the night, your second and third thoughts should be flashlight and phone. I hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Guest Daelith
Don't forget the other two items you should always have with your gun and spare mag; a good flashlight and your cell phone. These items should go hand in hand with your gun. Anytime you think about grabbing your gun for a bump in the night, your second and third thoughts should be flashlight and phone. I hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Thanks for the reminder that we need to buy an extra magazine for both Rugers.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I don't keep a gun by the door. I keep it where I will be at night, or where I can get to it quickly.

If somebody kicks your door down, do you really want to provide them a shotgun as a "door prize?" :rolleyes:

Yeah, it normally stays behind my closet door, right next to the Glock, but since I shot it last, I just laid it in the corner next to the door and kinda forgot about it.

For the door prize, the only door prize an intruder is gonna get from me is gonna be 2 - 180gr Gold Dots, and they can keep them.