Dedicated 22cal upper for ar15

Guest sammopar

Guest sammopar

bought a conversion for AR 15 22 cal cmmg think was the brand, I love it now I am wanting a dedicated upper. Have looked and the different ones but can't settle on one. Any one with experience with different ones ? Looking for recommendations. I want one fairly accurate to shoot 22 subs. The one I have now is shooting around 1†groups at 60 yards its ok (for what it is)but want better. Have looked at the colt umax not very good reviews the m&p 15 22 so so. Really thinking hard about the spikes 22 upper .22LR Upper M4 [sTU2300] - $549.95 : Spikes Tactical

my requirements are all metal (have seen plastic ones) and a threaded barrel for suppressor. Thanks for the input

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I run a Tactical Solutions upper on a dedicated lower and love it. I have roughly 3500 rounds through it and shoot with it every time I go to the range. It is a fun plinking gun, but I also have it set up exactly the same as my 5.56, so the operation and manual of arms is the same.

I have had occasion to use Tactical Solutions' service and warranty, and they were outstanding. Lon Tuttle, the president of the company personally got back with me on a reliability question I had, and after hearing what was going on, went the extra mile to ship me a new generation bolt carrier group, make sure that the issue was fixed, that I was happy, and that it was 100% reliable with the ammo I was shooting. All of this, mind you was in response to a relatively minor issue that other manufacturers would have just said, "shoot it some more and see if it clears up".

Fit and finish are great as well.

Guest sammopar
For that price I'd just get a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (well, I already got one). Mine runs just fine and is plenty accurate. I bought one with a factory threaded barrel.

is the receiver metal? seen pics didn't really look like metal thanks

• 2 weeks later...

have the M&P 15-22. it is a terrific gun. not sure however that it will outshoot your 1inch at 60 yds. that sounds damn pretty good or a CMMG conversion!

at any rate, the Colt Umerex sucks. The S&W is a solid steel Thompson Center match barrel. (you want the threaded one). upper/lower and rails are polymer. the gun weights about 5-6 lbs. the stock can be upgraded to whatever you choose, just slide the new one of your choice on. The FCG is standard AR, and you can drop any standard AR group in it, i put the RR NM 2 stage in mine, and it's sweetness. I also find it to be very reliable assuming your ammo is any good.

It'll shoot everything i put in it, the exception is some of the bulk ammo (550 rd box) that give me a failure to fire about every 10 rds, this is the ammo not the gun. I have hard primer hits on every one and ran them again and still no fire). The quality of the gun is excellent. the mags are well made and a breaze to load.

If you need a dedicated gun, this is a good choice. the upper will not work on your any AR15 lower except for the S&W AR 15-22. If you want a dedicated upper, agree w/ above, the Tac Sol is strong. don't know about accuracy, but have run one and like it very much. I went with the 15-22 because the manual of arms is the same as my duty rifle and it will accept the same FCG as my duty rifle. The only notable difference is the weight and also, the charging handle has a slightly shorter "pull" then on my duty rifle.

bottom line for me was that it works works and i can train my kids with it while we are on the range together. Two guns. and i've seen this gun for less than $400. I think GT Distributors has them for way cheep.

Curious what type off ammo you are shooting through your CMMG, what your barrel length and twist are. pretty impressed 1inch at 60yds.

also, any special cleanup needed following CMMG runs? didn't know i the gas tube had to be blown out w/ a mag of 5.56 or any other special tricks??

thanks and good luck!

Guest sammopar
have the M&P 15-22. it is a terrific gun. not sure however that it will outshoot your 1inch at 60 yds. that sounds damn pretty good or a CMMG conversion!

i also though it seemed to shoot well was really surprised! maybe be the shooter :P not

thanks for all the input

Guest Halfpint

I've got a Spike's dedicated upper, and I've had trigger time on a couple of conversion kits . . . so far they all impress me, I just like my Spike's because I'm picky like that. . . . No, seriously, I have no specific reason to prefer the Spike's, I just like it. :D