The versitile Bond Arms SnakeSlayer

Mykltn

As some of you know, I purchased a Bond Arms SnakeSlayer as a trial, driving, and back up weapon late last year. The SnakeSlayer is a Derringer style, two shot pistol in 45LC/410 Shot Shell. It comes with a 3.5" barrel, trigger guard and extended grip. This makes it a great gun for hiking, driving (anti-carjacking) and home defense when loaded with 410 Buck shot or #4 shot for the occasional snake. In an effort to make it a bit smaller for ccw or has a backup gun I have refitted it with a 3" 45 ACP, regular grips and removed the trigger guard. Some of you expressed concern in my range report over the SnakeSlayer being a bit on the large size for a two shot so I thought I'd post a before and after using my 2" 357 Mag for comparison. Let me know what you guys think.

First with the original setup.

IMG_0468.jpg

Now with the 3" 45 ACP barrell, shorter grip and trigger guard removed.

photo1.jpg

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does the Snake Slayer shoot with the smaller grips? I find mine is hard to point naturally - I bet the smaller grips might actually help.

Don't know yet. Just got them in today along with 4 speed loading strips that fit 45acp, 45lc and 410 shot shells. Also got the driving holster. Can't wait to try it out on the drive to Florida this summer. Felt comfy on my afternoon Motorcycle ride though.

Guest pusherman

You wear the driving holster on your bike? what type of bike is it?

I opted for the pocket holster when I ride, my damn belly hangs down to far for to wear that drving holster.

I love my Century 2000, took it to the range last weekend and fired it a few times. Offered it up to some of the guys there to shoot and none of them would take me up on the deal. For such a little gun it scares the fire out of a bunch of big ole boys.

Guest godgunsanddogs

I have been thinking of getting a cowboy defender for about a year, but the only 45/410 i've shot was a cobray.( the one that look's like someone put it togather in thier basement ) and the recoil with the 410 buck felt like it fractured my hand, maybe the bond's handle recoil a little better, I hope

• 2 weeks later...
You wear the driving holster on your bike? what type of bike is it?

I opted for the pocket holster when I ride, my damn belly hangs down to far for to wear that drving holster.

I love my Century 2000, took it to the range last weekend and fired it a few times. Offered it up to some of the guys there to shoot and none of them would take me up on the deal. For such a little gun it scares the fire out of a bunch of big ole boys.

I've got two bikes. One is a customized 02 Honda shadow and the other is a one off custom chopper I built with some friends a few years ago. Luckly my belly hasn't given in to gravity yet.

Edited by Mykltn
I have been thinking of getting a cowboy defender for about a year, but the only 45/410 i've shot was a cobray.( the one that look's like someone put it togather in thier basement ) and the recoil with the 410 buck felt like it fractured my hand, maybe the bond's handle recoil a little better, I hope

I've shot both the 410/45lc and the 45acp and both were managable. I wouldn't want to blow out 200 rounds with them, but a box of 50 if fine. The bond accually has less recoil than my old cobra big bore 38 spl did. Being stainless steel it's heavy for it's size and that helps lots.

Guest pusherman

I picked up a new set of extended size grips for my Century 2K about 2 weeks ago. The larger grip with room for a full hand grip makes it much more fun to shoot.

• 4 years later...

I realize this thread is old, but I've been wanting a Bond Arms with the longest barrel possible. I always do a ton of research before I leap onto a new gun purchase. A lot of people are saying the Bond Arms Derringer is quite a kicker (heavy recoil) with the .410 buckshot. I just checked Gun Broker, there are 57 Bond Arms Derringers of various models listed...and only 6 have bids on them. There must be some reason that there are lots of sellers and few buyers. I'd like to hear from the Bond Arms Derringer owners on here... especially range reports about shooting the buckshot loads (3") out of it. Thanks.

Godgunsanddogs, I want one too. But, hear a lot about the felt recoil of the little rascal, especially with the 3" .410 buckshot loads. I know this is an old thread, but was curious as to whether you got one or not...and if so, what you thought of it. Maybe a range report? Thanks.

I have seen an American Derringer in what I think was a 10" barrel .410/45Colt which may suit your needs better. I like the AD better because the safety automatically disengages when the hammer is pulled back to fire.

All....

I've got a Bond 45/410 "Snake Slayer" too; and i love it... I keep it handy in my camera bag when I'm out putzin around in the wrangler taking pictures... It stays very near all the time.... I put a set of the XL rosewood grips on it... It calms down the 410 loads quite a bit...

The down side is that the grips are good sized... Ive got pretty big hands and the XL rosewoods fill 'em up pretty well... I carry my little pistola in a D.M Bullard IWB holster...It works like a charm...

leroy

I realize this thread is old, but I've been wanting a Bond Arms with the longest barrel possible. I always do a ton of research before I leap onto a new gun purchase. A lot of people are saying the Bond Arms Derringer is quite a kicker (heavy recoil) with the .410 buckshot. I just checked Gun Broker, there are 57 Bond Arms Derringers of various models listed...and only 6 have bids on them. There must be some reason that there are lots of sellers and few buyers. I'd like to hear from the Bond Arms Derringer owners on here... especially range reports about shooting the buckshot loads (3") out of it. Thanks.

Bonds are by far the most manageable derrengers due to the solid stainless steel construction. I've owned a Davis .32acp, a Cobra big bore .38spl and still have an American Derringer DA .38spl. The Bond has the least felt recoil even with the .410 000buck. Here is the range report I did on my Bond if you are interested. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/19678-range-report-bond-arms-snakeslayer/?hl=%2Bbond+%2Barms

Bonds are by far the most manageable derrengers due to the solid stainless steel construction. I've owned a Davis .32acp, a Cobra big bore .38spl and still have an American Derringer DA .38spl. The Bond has the least felt recoil even with the .410 000buck. Here is the range report I did on my Bond if you are interested. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/19678-range-report-bond-arms-snakeslayer/?hl=%2Bbond+%2Barms

Thanks Mykltn, that's a good range report. If I got one, I'd want one that would shoot the 3" .410 shell for more punch...and have read a lot about the "felt recoil" of that model. Looks like bird shot would be best for filling the role of "snake slayer". Do you have any pattern pics of something like this, and what do you figure the max range for putting one of these venomous snakes "to sleep" (pc?) would be?  Any idea how a longer barrel shoots, in performance, compared to the short ones?

I have a Bond Arms Snake Slayer and like it as it is.  I'm not concerned with recoil as I carry it only as a defensive weapon and usually only in the woods with .410.  I have shot it several times just to be sure it functions as it should. :pleased:  It's not a target shooter.  I think it's great for it's intended purpose and fortunately I've never had to use it for that.  I'm also not too worried about it's shot pattern as I don't expect to use it at a distance of more than a few feet.

Thanks Mykltn, that's a good range report. If I got one, I'd want one that would shoot the 3" .410 shell for more punch...and have read a lot about the "felt recoil" of that model. Looks like bird shot would be best for filling the role of "snake slayer". Do you have any pattern pics of something like this, and what do you figure the max range for putting one of these venomous snakes "to sleep" (pc?) would be?  Any idea how a longer barrel shoots, in performance, compared to the short ones?

I don't have photos but here is one of the videos I found while researching the Bond.
Bond Arms SNAKE SLAYER 410/45 Long Colt: http://youtu.be/_hQtywZFxDg

I have seen an American Derringer in what I think was a 10" barrel .410/45Colt which may suit your needs better. I like the AD better because the safety automatically disengages when the hammer is pulled back to fire.

Patton, I had no idea they made a derringer with a barrel that long! I'd like to see...heck, I'd like to shoot one of them. Any idea what the longest barrel Bond Arms makes for their derringers?

I don't have photos but here is one of the videos I found while researching the Bond.
Bond Arms SNAKE SLAYER 410/45 Long Colt: http://youtu.be/_hQtywZFxDg

Mykltn, thanks for the video. It pretty much shows what the Bond Arms derringer will do. I was impressed with the 2 1/2" # 7 1/2 shot did to that target. Looks like it would make a highly effective snake round. Is the Slayer lV, with the 4 1/4" barrel the longest barrel available for the Bond Arms Derringers?

Patton, I had no idea they made a derringer with a barrel that long! I'd like to see...heck, I'd like to shoot one of them. Any idea what the longest barrel Bond Arms makes for their derringers?

4.25" is the longest I know of.

Thanks, I could live with 4.25", but anything less and the loaded round is awfully close to the muzzle!

I have the 3.5" snakeslayer and have shot 2.5" & 3" shells with no problems. I also have the 3" .45 cap barrel and it shoots great. Best part about the Bonds is all barrels are interchangeable with all the frames. If you do get a snakeslayer, the driving holster is a must. It makes the Bond an almost perfect anti-carjacking gun. Edited by Mykltn

I have the 3.5" snakeslayer and have shot 2.5" & 3" shells with no problems. I also have the 3" .45 cap barrel and it shoots great. Best part about the Bonds is all barrels are interchangeable with all the frames. If you do get a snakeslayer, the driving holster is a must. It makes the Bond an almost perfect anti-carjacking gun.

Thanks for the information. I saw one in a vendor case at the gun-show yesterday, but didn't ask to see it. It had a $400, and looked like one of the shorter barrels...no box, no holster, just bare gun. I didn't see anyone walking around with one. I prefer to deal with individuals...provided they aren't afraid for me to run the serial number, to make sure it isn't stolen. There was one on GOC a few days ago for $300, but I missed the deal. I'm always looking for a deal, when buying with cold cash! Trading...eh, we'll dicker a bit, until we both feel we have a satisfactory deal. 

I guess it's the Snakeslayer lv that has the longer barrel, right? I still want one!