Ccw happening soon; help a kid out!

Guest that one artist guy

Good evnin',

Here's the skinny: I'm located in Lebanon TN, and I decided I want to get my carry perm. on the road this holiday season, i'm just 21; a young gun and quite inexperienced by contrast of some of my fellow 'shee folk 'round here, but that is to my advantage in this situation 'ere.

The thing is, no matter where I look on the net about dealer locators, or even information about gun laws and their intrinsically unsrcupulous know abouts around my area, I come up short. :eek: I can't find dealers very well for some reason, and I wanted some insight on locating a particular weapon for carry; again, not the easiest task I found out without some face-to-face consultation, vis-a-vis this wonderful little site. :D

Now, after the whole who-dilly-do-dah about background checks and all that jazz, I will be trying to hunt me down a 4" Ruger Service Six, stainless .357. I love this gun. I would preferable have a 4" speed six in this configuration, the gun my grand pappy' taught me on, but that probably won't happen. So, i'll have to settle for this, if I can find one somewhere, and some nice custom work for its butt.

You're not going to be able to shake my disposition on this guy if you try, one of my fav. wheel guns, i've shot a good many of S&W, Colt and a Mateba. I most definately prefer DA six shooter over autos for a defensive weapon. 'Just me, but that's besides the point though, sorry i'm making this more wordy and difficult than it should be, I just got out of a philosophy final, but bear with me here.

Can anyone somewhat close to me give me some tips on trying to find one of these little guys? Preferred stores; contacts; black market? (the latter was a joke; I don't know how brassy this board is yet. :up:)

Much thanks in advance.

peace-

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call Ben at Guns and Leather for someone close(ish) to you. 643-4865

If you don't mind a road trip, Hero Gear is a member here @ TGO and might have some ideas as well.

The Rabbi at East Side gunshop in nashville is a wheelgun man I believe as well.

welcome to the party

Guest ETS_Inc

Check out GunBroker. They have 4 Service Sixes on there right now, three of which are 4" Stainless Steel versions. One of them has a current bid of $199, with six days left on the auction, and no reserve price. You might be able to get it fairly cheap.

Transfers are fairly cheap. I'd offer to do it, but I have an agreement with the gunsmith from whom I rent space - I don't do Title I transfers, and he doesn't sell NFA guns. But, he does only charge $35 plus the $10 TICS fee for transfers.

Also, Bill @ Eastside Gun Shop does fairly inexpensive transfers. He posts on here as The Rabbi.

Someone over on the officer forums (forums.officer.com) was trying to sell a Ruger 6 recently. There must be a Ruger forum as well where people buy,sell, trade.

The Six series were excellent guns. I've sold a couple and shot one. They are rather heavy for concealed carry though. But to each his own.

Totally and completely off subject...

What kind of Art do you do?

Like the animated avatar... did you do that?

"*"=off topic.

No problem, my friend!

All kinds really. Creation blows me away each and every time I run into it.

No, that little animated gif. is from a short, but absolutely brilliant, Japanese anime series by the name of "FLCL", if you are into that sort of thing.

My personal ideals and makes draw more along the lines from modernistic photo realism, --look up Richard Estes, Chuck Close and Malcolm Morley; good stuff.-- usually abstracted in some way to alter the context into something funny or a smidge more interesting, (I get bored with traditional art jumbo rather quickly, so I must mix it up to keep it afloat.) but letting the observer or client know that I definately know what i'm doing.

I have actually concidered an engineering degree in conjunction to my currently processing fine art one for custom gun (handgun) works. I feel I could definately spice some things up a bit, or at least a lone, old, stoic archtype --*coughrevolcoughvers*--. Who knows, ya' know?

Sorry about all that "useful" trivia I put on yer' plate.

Thanks to all of you for the info. you've given me! I might just have to mosey own' ovah' to Guns & Leather sometime this weekend. Also, Gunbroker.com is probably going to be my best bet for this find, but I will be sure to touch base with you peeps about my situation on this whatever ends up transpiring.

*A prett little thing did catch my attention while I was at Opry Mills's Bass Pro Shop this evening though. I was looking at compound bow prices for a friend, and wooden turkey calls for a groovy installation sound piece i'm working on ;), when the chap talking to the clerk whipped out a SS "4 fixed site Ruger GP-100 with the round butt. I was like, "whut...?:eek:" I didn't look too tricked out so I closed case on it being a custom job. He bounced pretty fast afterward, so no "interrogation", but do they actually produce these on a regular basis? I know it would be even more hefty than the Six i'm looking for, but I may be able to get "resourceful" if I nab one. I was also reluctant to state that I am a pretty small dude. Something like 5"8 at about a buck 47 and a "athletic" physique, in case you guys were wondering what kind of frame this wheeler in going on.

I actually have yet another question for newly acquired, well informed hommies, you guys can slap me around for talking too much later:

Say I get a 25 year old fixed sight revo., is the windage and elevation usually a problem or issue when initially acquiring these guns? Is there some heed I may need to know about before jumping into a potential sandtrap?

*Last off, if you find yourself flipping through the tube, or God forbid, bored of shooting something this weekend, go see "I Am Legend." Very good flick. :)

Peace out

Say I get a 25 year old fixed sight revo., is the windage and elevation usually a problem or issue when initially acquiring these guns?

No, those guns aren’t for target shooting they are for point instinct shooters that don’t use sights.

One of the finest revolvers ever made, in my opinion, is the S&W model 19(model 66 in stainless) with a 2 1/2"barrel, and round butt frame. It has adjustable sights. With a grip adapter it fits a small hand rather well. Not exactly cheap, but is a high quality handgun. My .02 cents worth, adjusted for inflation equals zero. My son borrowed mine 15 years ago and still has it. It is his carry gun.

19's rock face by the by.

Speak of the devil though, the devil being S&W in this case. An old friend of mine dropped by my place yesterday, I hadn't seen the cat in years. He's a jazz musician that keeps on the road and decided to kick it with me before he headed out to Georgia.

I told him about my delimma 'bout a sixgun, and said,

"Hold up partnah', I got somethin' foe' ya'."

He put a box on the table and opened up a 620 he got not but 4 weeks ago. He said he had too many ladies and not enough time for this one. :D I took him out to Ruth's Chris for some dead cow, and after we got back he realized he had a plane to catch.

I was about to crash when I saw some box on the table. He forgot his piece! (o_o)

I called him up on the flightway to let him know, and he said,

"what are you talking about, white boy? I don't forget nothin'."

Then he hung up laughing.

I walked up to the box a little confused, I was literally about to ask the S&W logo a question, until I noticed a card on the side of it that read,

"Judah (family alias), the papers are in the bottom."

:popcorn:

(lawl)

I guess i'll give you guys a range report sometime down the tram.

I couldn't tell you what was funny, i'm not a comedian, but that remark is uncomfortably close to offensive. Please do speak your mind.

Anyway, for the ones who are remotely interested (pfft, look, you dun' got my morale down... :) ) I managed to take the 620 to a colleage's house to see if this thing was up to snuff; apparently there is some bad mojo-mantras about this line, and its relatives, of Smith wheelers. More on that in a minute.

I put a box and a half of Corbon .38 110 down range from 10 yards to about 40, and a some 125 gr. following close behind at 25 to 75 yards. This mutha' can shoot! Well, at least the .357's were spot on. The specials weren't so fortunate. Approx. after 17 yards they started fish-tailing low and to the left; I couldn't quite figure what was up with that mess, I have done well enough with that load on different occasions. I was going to attempt to swivel the sights a bit but I decided that was fine enough check up time.

Now, I have seen some bad jive about this guy and his relatively uncoveted two-piece barrel, this is my first encounter with it, and after playing around with the guy a bit... I don't have the slightest notion of why they give it such a bad rap, at least in its performance capabilities.

Stay tuned for some pictures and addictional info. after 'while, kiddos. My digital is jank, it would virtualy be a stereogram right now.

Slán leat; Go mbeannaí Dia duit