EXTREMELY disappointing encounter with someone with a badge

Guest Glock23ForMe

• Administrator
All the "Did you hit it" and "sounds like he hit it" posts are so crass,if one of you asked that to my face youd get the back of my hand,and more.

And all those of you who are sooo HYPER-SENSATIVE to ANY criticism of the police, especially when warranted, make me want to puke. Theres good/bad in most every profession...cops, truck drivers, PRIESTS, ect. They need to be pointed out each and every time. If the shoe dont fit...why should you worry? The poster went out of his way to say he was not anti-cop, on the contrary. Some of yall get on here just LOOKING for something to bitch about.

Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

It's one thing to save a seat at a theater, or at a football game, or even save a parking spot if you're tailgating somewhere; but saving a spot at a restaurant by standing in it? I would have gotten mad as well (though in this case the other person had no right to force you to move through Police authority unless you were braking some sort of law), you just don't do that in a public setting.

I understand wanting to be courteous and all, but that's a good way to get run over if encountered by someone w/ horrible road rage...

Guest JavaGuy

Just out of curiosity, why were you arriving in separate vehicles? I've met people at things before but generally for a date, I always picked the young lady up at her house, took her to our agreed-upon date (dinner, movie, whatever) and then took her back home.

There is always going to be "that" cop out there that thinks his :taunt: doesn't stink. I have an uncle that is a rescue officer for the sheriffs dept here in town and he loves to flash his badge. Funny thing about it is, he isn't even a real cop. Losers. They don't get any slack from me. And to think I wanted to be a cop at one time in my life. :taunt:

Who is your uncle? I started with SCSO, and they frown on this behavior. They once fired a guy for wearing his SO ballcap off duty.

Guest Hyaloid

Glad you got home safe and sound, and no one left with any more holes than they showed up with.

That being said, I have to agree with the others, saving a parking spot by standing in it, I would have been cursing you under my breath as well. No way would I have tried to run you over or intimidate you into moving out of the way, probably would have grumbled like the curmudgeon I am turning into should, and moved on.

I appreciate the nod to chivalry, but I think that's a bit off base. Just one dude's opinion on the internet!

Guy with the badge is a douche, that's for sure.

Guest walkingdeadman
Who is your uncle? I started with SCSO, and they frown on this behavior. They once fired a guy for wearing his SO ballcap off duty.

I won't be giving out his name man...sorry. I might hate what he does, but he is still my family.

Just out of curiosity, why were you arriving in separate vehicles? I've met people at things before but generally for a date, I always picked the young lady up at her house, took her to our agreed-upon date (dinner, movie, whatever) and then took her back home.

I reckon that in this day and age a girl can't be too safe on a "first date I might add". Also, it might be that they were meeting after work in which case one would be in their own vehicle.

As to the case in point. While we cannot be sure that the original person was or was not an officer he definitely presented himself as someone in authority. All too often when people like this actually are in a position of "authority" they abuse that "authority".

You handled yourself well and the idiot, for that is what the person is, got a parking spot and you have a great story to tell your kids about how you met their mother.

I won't be giving out his name man...sorry. I might hate what he does, but he is still my family.

I hear ya, I did not intend to get him in trouble. I hope he realizes how much trouble he can get in with the SO for waving his badge around.

Guest Jamie

Without going as far as Grunt did, it sounds like, to me, you were both wrong.

One, if you are not actually IN a vehicle... don't try to claim a parking space.

Two, whoever/whatever it was that had the badge needs to come to grips with the fact that a little piece of metal is not a pass to do or get anything they want.

I can also tell you this much; with or without a badge... with or without a gun... I'd have gotten out of my car and you would have moved.

J.

Guest Hyaloid

I can also tell you this much; with or without a badge... with or without a gun... I'd have gotten out of my car and you would have moved.

J.

Save the bravado.

If you're willing to get into an altercation over a stupid parking space, with or without a badge or with or without a firearm, you're not much better than the badge-flasher.

Grow up.

Guest Jamie
Save the bravado.

If you're willing to get into an altercation over a stupid parking space, with or without a badge or with or without a firearm, you're not much better than the badge-flasher.

Grow up.

I've been grown up for a long time now, but I've lost all patience with people being rude, foolish or outright idiotic.

If you're not in a vehicle, stay out of places intended for them.

J.

Edited by Jamie

so you are saying you would be willing to have a physical confrontation over a parking place? Are you kidding? :drool:

Good God what is the world coming too?

Guest Jamie
so you are saying you would be willing to have a physical confrontation over a parking place? Are you kidding? :drool:

It's a little more complicated than that, but no, I'm not kidding.

Basically, it has less to do with the parking place and more to do with some people's over-inflated sense of entitlement, and far too many people letting them get away with it.

Good God what is the world coming too?

I'm not sure, but I believe it's already there. Has been for a long time now.

J.

So I get somewhere first and am waiting on a friend I cannot save a parking space for them. Just because you are in a vehicle you are entitled to the space I am in.

Personally if I HAD decided to stand in a parking space to "save" it for a friend I would have probably just stood there after seeing the badge and made the person either hit me with their vehicle or get out and confront me personally. At which time I would have asked to see the badge again. If it truly were a police officer the name and the number would have been recorded.

What makes you "entitled" to a parking space just because you are in a car?

Guest Jamie

What makes you "entitled" to a parking space just because you are in a car?

Duh. It's a Parking place, not a Standing place. It's there specifically for a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.

( And yes, there's the "first come, first served" thing, at least in public, unassigned parking. )

I mean, you wouldn't expect to be able to drive on the sidewalk, would you?

I guess the next thing you wanna know is why a person with handicap tags is entitled to a handicap parking place.... :drool:

By the way, I'm betting the outcome wouldn't have gone his way if the OP had called the police to sort out the matter, even without the person flashing the badge.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest Glock23ForMe

We had never met before, although we did talk quite a bit before hand. After we ate, we got in my car and drove around, then came back to her car and both drove to the house.

Duh. It's a Parking place, not a Standing place. It's there specifically for a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.

( And yes, there's the "first come, first served" thing, at least in public, unassigned parking. )

I mean, you wouldn't expect to be able to drive on the sidewalk, would you?

I guess the next thing you wanna know is why a person with handicap tags is entitled to a handicap parking place.... :drool:

By the way, I'm betting the outcome wouldn't have gone his way if the OP had called the police to sort out the matter, even without the person flashing the badge.

J.

Yes - it is a parking space - however if you were in a vehicle and struck me while I was standing in a parking space it is more likely that you would receive a ticket then me. After all, a parking lot is a place where pedestrians have a right to be also.

Handicapped - are you really going there? There is a difference between a reserved spot for someone who has a physical condition that precludes them from walking a long distance. There is a law regarding that.

Who is claiming entitlement? You are not entitled to a parking space. If I own a business I could charge for parking out in front as long as I owned the property. No entitlement there is there? You do not have a RIGHT to park your car. You have permission from the state to drive it and the owner of the business has provided places for you to park it should you wish to do business with them. This does not mean that you are entitled to any parking space you choose.

Guest Jamie
Yes - it is a parking space - however if you were in a vehicle and struck me while I was standing in a parking space it is more likely that you would receive a ticket then me. After all, a parking lot is a place where pedestrians have a right to be also.

Yes, pedestrians have a right to be there in the lot as well... but not necessarily to block someone else from legally parking their car. However, if the OP were to end up in court over the situation he outlined - say things escalated to a fight over the parking spot - I doubt a judge would agree that he had a right to be there at that time, under those circumstances... meaning without a vehicle that he was parking. And it's not entirely impossible that he would have been found at fault for initiating the problem to begin with.

Handicapped - are you really going there? There is a difference between a reserved spot for someone who has a physical condition that precludes them from walking a long distance. There is a law regarding that.

Yes, I'm going to go there because it's pretty much the same thing; the parking places are there for people to park their vehicles. They are not pedestrian rest areas. The handicapped spots are there specifically for people with special needs, the others are there specifically for people with the general need to have a place to leave their cars and such.

Also, most jurisdictions have laws or ordinances that deal with "public nuisance" issues, such as folks blocking areas assigned to legitimate uses.

For instance, if someone were to complain about one of those people who like to park diagonally across 2 or more places, the owner of the lot could call the police and have the person either move their vehicle or be cited. If the police were to roll up on two people arguing over that, then the police would probably make the person move any way, even without the owner asking them to. ( Unless the property owner had given the person permission to park that way of course. )

Who is claiming entitlement? You are not entitled to a parking space.

You are if the property owner says you are. So in that regard, it's a matter of assignment, not entitlement.

If I own a business I could charge for parking out in front as long as I owned the property. No entitlement there is there? You do not have a RIGHT to park your car. You have permission from the state to drive it and the owner of the business has provided places for you to park it should you wish to do business with them.

See above.

Also, I doubt the property owner will take kindly to someone causing problems with how they have set things up, and possibly interfering with his/her business.

This does not mean that you are entitled to any parking space you choose.

Which pretty much torpedoes the OP trying to save a spot for his date, don't it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

After thinking about all this, and those nuisance laws I mentioned earlier, I have to wonder if Mr. Badge Flasher maybe was a real cop, and was about to charge the OP with that very thing, if he had persisted, and refused to move.

If that were the case - and I'm just speculating here - then he would have been required to identify himself as a LEO from the start.

Wasn't there, don't know, and only have the OP's side of the story though. :yuck:

It would be interesting to hear from the other person and get their side of the story.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest Glock23ForMe
... say things escalated to a fight over the parking spot

J.

Just me, but I'm definitely not going to get into a physical altercation over a parking spot. Note the, "... walking away pissed off..." part in the original post. I may be a "douchebag" to some of you guys for standing in a parking spot, but I'm not gonna start a fight over it. Not worth my career.

I really fail to see the big deal over a parking space on either side. If it comes to confrontation over parking I will walk away content that the parking space gods will wreak their vengeance upon whoever was being an @$$.

Guest Jamie
I may be a "douchebag" to some of you guys for standing in a parking spot, but I'm not gonna start a fight over it.

I'm not calling you anything, only stating my opinion that trying to save a parking place without a vehicle was not the wisest of decisions.

You walked off when it became an issue, and I believe that was the correct choice.

The rest of my posts may have been concerning the situation you posted about, but they were not aimed at you, nor intended to be insulting or berating to you. They're only my opinion on what happened, and what could possibly have happened, and why.

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I know and I completely understand and I didn't intend for the "douchebag" to poke at you saying that.. It was just a disclaimer for those that wouldn't have done the same thing. I did walk off when it became an issue, because I honestly believe that if that parking spot was THAT important to the guy, I'd move my car and walk across 10 parking lots for my girl to park right next to the building. Really. I'm avoid confrontation at all costs, especially with a firearm strapped inside my belt because, then, I am more cautious than ever. I appreciate all the comments and insights on this topic, never thought it would be 8 pages, but its fun to read... Especially all the "Did you hit it" posts.. HEHE. I've got more game than Parker Brothers.

Guest Jamie
...I'm avoid confrontation at all costs...

I'm gonna throw a little more kerosene on the fire here, since I think that sometimes a confrontation is exactly what is needed.

Some people are too used to getting away with all sorts of silliness, simply because the people around them turn a blind eye, and don't have the courage to be confrontational.

No, I'm not saying a knock-down drag-out fist fight is always the way to go, but there are many times when someone needs to stand up and say "Oh hell no... you are not gonna get away with doing that", but no one does.

And you can't really complain about people being asshats, if you let 'em, I think.

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I'm gonna throw a little more kerosene on the fire here, since I think that sometimes a confrontation is exactly what is needed.

Some people are too used to getting away with all sorts of silliness, simply because the people around them turn a blind eye, and don't have the courage to be confrontational.

No, I'm not saying a knock-down drag-out fist fight is always the way to go, but there are many times when someone needs to stand up and say "Oh hell no... you are not gonna get away with doing that", but no one does.

And you can't really complain about people being asshats, if you let 'em, I think.

J.

Touche

J.

I will actually agree with you on that. Too many people are willing to stand by while someone else presents bad behavior.

In this scenario while walking away and letting "cooler heads prevail" may have saved a lot of hassle if this person were truly an officer of the law he should have been confronted to get his badge number etc. and then report it to supervisor. If this was an officer/fireman/detective/security guard etc. then they definitely need to be called out for their actions. Simply asking for a badge number may have "frightened" them into "better" behavior and they might think twice about it in the future.

Then again - to play devil's advocate. In today's society the slightest confrontation can result in severe bodily harm or death.

In this scenario there was only the win of walking away and having a nice night.