EXTREMELY disappointing encounter with someone with a badge

Guest Glock23ForMe

The restaurant is private property and I would'nt think he had any jurisdiction except for DUI's & a Felony. I would have told him to go suck wind & got his badge # & name. He can't arrest you for saving a parking spot.

JMO

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RevScottie

Besides... I'm probably better suited to deal with them without it ending in bloodshed than some of the other hot heads they could - and probably will - encounter eventually.

J.

Jamie you are entirely missing my point. No matter what your temperment you are not in control of the other person. If they see you as a threat you may wind up dead. The originator of this post described how mad he was over the incident but he thought through it and walked away (and he was armed). Not everyone is that level headed. What if the guy in the parking space is high, mentally ill, etc? YOU DONT KNOW so you are putting yourself and everyone around you at unneccesary risk just to prove a point. IF you so strongly feel he is doing something wrong call law enforcement and let them handle it.

Guest Jamie
The restaurant is private property and I would'nt think he had any jurisdiction except for DUI's & a Felony. I would have told him to go suck wind & got his badge # & name. He can't arrest you for saving a parking spot.

JMO

That may be true in Georgia ( though I doubt it ), but it is certainly not in Tennessee.

There are several misdemeanor charges you can be hit with in a public parking lot, ranging from disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, public intoxication, to, as Bearman and I discussed, interfering with a legal activity.

( Thanks for that one, Bearman. I had completely forgotten that term. )

J.

Guest Jamie
Jamie you are entirely missing my point. No matter what your temperment you are not in control of the other person.

Well, the other person isn't in control of me either, and doesn't get to dictate what I will or will not do, or where I do or don't get to park, do they?

If they see you as a threat you may wind up dead.

Yeah, I may or may not end up dead. But if that situation is a likely outcome, then there's a far worse problem there than someone just trying to save a parking place, isn't there?

What if the guy in the parking space is high, mentally ill, etc? YOU DONT KNOW so you are putting yourself and everyone around you at unneccesary risk just to prove a point. IF you so strongly feel he is doing something wrong call law enforcement and let them handle it.

And leaving a violent nutcase/crack head/whatever go, to do whatever they choose, isn't putting other people in danger?

Oh, and if you'll go back and re-read my earlier explanation, you'll note that I was simply going to wait 'til the person either left, took some other action, and/or the cops arrived.

So, if this person has such potential for violence, don't you think it's better if I keep this person occupied while we wait 'til the police get there, rather than let some other poor bastard that likely has no training or experience at all blunder into them and have to deal with 'em? Say someone with a big mouth and a bad temper?

I may not be a cop anymore, but I do still feel a certain obligation not to let some things pass, or leave some situations for other people to have to deal with, if I'm directly involved and can do something about it.

It's not my job to go looking for trouble anymore, but neither is it my job to allow someone to "step on" me or anybody else. Fortunately now, I get to choose, and decide what I'm up to handling and what I need to just ignore.

And I don't feel this sort of thing is the "ignore" variety. You obviously feel differently.

The originator of this post described how mad he was over the incident but he thought through it and walked away (and he was armed). Not everyone is that level headed.

For what it's worth, I haven't been discussing the OP in particular for some time now, only the situation he presented.

Anyway... it's been an interesting and enlightening conversation. You folks do whatever it is you feel you need to do, and I'll do the same. Hopefully it'll work out okay for all of us.

J.

Guest RevScottie

Yeah, I may or may not end up dead.

J.

And that statement is where our difference of opinion concerning risk comes in. I'm not going to intentionally escalate a situation that I can just as easily walk away from. Call me a wimp but I would rather give up a stupid parking place than put my life (or the life of my family) at risk, it just ain't worth it.

Guest Jamie
Talk about snowballing.... This went from a flake to an avalanche.

Hey, it gave us something to talk about other than open carry, which caliber is best, or how great Glocks are/how much they suck, HCP Waiting/Arrival threads, etc. :D

J.

Edited by Jamie
Altered so the OP will be happy, and maybe quit standing in parking places.
Guest Jamie
And that statement is where our difference of opinion concerning risk comes in. I'm not going to intentionally escalate a situation that I can just as easily walk away from. Call me a wimp but I would rather give up a stupid parking place than put my life (or the life of my family) at risk, it just ain't worth it.

I guess it takes a certain mindset to ever pin a badge on too, because that's exactly the risk that every LEO takes.

And apparently I still have that same inclination and way of thinking; some things are just worth the risk. :D

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Hey, it gave us something to talk about other than open carry, which caliber is best, or how great Glocks are/how much they suck, etc. :D

J.

I can agree with that.... but you have to add in the "HCP Waiting/Arrived" threads too.

Also, forgot to add this piece of info earlier, but... This happened on the first night that I had my HCP.

Guest RevScottie

A good debate is great exercise for the mind. One thing I like about this forum is even if we have differing opinions we are respectful towards each other for the most part.

Jamie if you are ever in the Chattanooga look me up and I'll buy you lunch, but I sure as heck ain't going to save a parking space for you :D

Guest Glock23ForMe

Jamie if you are ever in the Chattanooga look me up and I'll buy you lunch, but I sure as heck ain't going to save a parking space for you :)

J will get out of the car and get mad until he realizes that you're saving it for him..... :lol::taunt::taunt:

All in good fun

:D:lol::lol::lol:

Or are you of a mind that they should just be allowed to do as they please, without anybody interfering?

J.

some guy saving a parking space is so inconsiquential I cannot imagine it bothering me. I do notunderstand why there would be a confrontation to begin with.

You ever thought of switching to decaff? :D

Guest Jamie

You ever thought of switching to decaff? ;)

You have any idea what kind of cranky, irritable SOB I'd turn into if I did?

By the way, let's say I did decide to just pass by the person trying to hold a parking place, and go a couple of rows over and find another. And let's suppose too that some person behind me decides to confront the fellow, and gets out raising hell and making threats. And let's further suppose that Mr. Place-holder is armed and is indeed crazy or strung out on something, and decides to whip out a gun and start shooting.

Could be I and/or others still end up catching a bullet, like this poor bastard did.

No thanks. I'd rather take my chances with a situation I have at least some possibility of controlling, rather than have to depend on random chance and the good will of others.

Sorry, but I'd rather confront someone and give them a chance to reconsider, or to go ahead and demonstrate that they are indeed a threat while I'm still close enough to have a chance of doing something about it.

But again, I guess that's just me.

Or maybe I'm supposed to just leave the parking lot altogether, and go shop or eat someplace else.....?

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe
This thing has gone from a reasonable question to WAY over thinking. Maybe you can start a How To for: "Tactical Parking Lot Encounters."You guys need to find a different thread. :)

I'm going to use a previous comment on this one.. Just because it is true and funny at the same time.

Hey, it gave us something to talk about other than open carry, which caliber is best, or how great Glocks are/how much they suck, etc. ;)

J.

But I think he should have added "HCP Waiting/Arrival" threads to it.

Guest Jamie
...But I think he should have added "HCP Waiting/Arrival" threads to it.

Kindly go take another look at the post you're speaking of. And be sure to look at the "reason for editing" line at the bottom of the post. ;):)

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest Jamie
You guys need to find a different thread. :)

Or... just maybe... you do? :D

( I still wanna know who's putting a gun to people's heads and forcing them to read this stuff... ;):) )

J.

This thing has gone from a reasonable question to WAY over thinking. Maybe you can start a How To for: "Tactical Parking Lot Encounters."You guys need to find a different thread. ;)

We're just trying to keep it going long enough for the OP to marry the girl. Then, he will stop saving parking spaces, and the thread will come to its logical conclusion :)

Guest Gun Geek

Ok I have no idea why I read this entire thread. But I did. To the OP, I dont really think you were in the wrong as the other car was in plain sight. I also think you handled it well by walking away.

I agree with everyone who said that getting into an altercation over a parking spot is moronic, idiotic, foolish, stupid, douchbaggerness etc.

Wrong. The "pedestrian" is in a place not intended for him. And there's no threat so long as no contact is made.

J.

I hate to be a stickler here but this statement is incorrect. Assault can be the threat of bodily injury or harm. Battery is the actual contact. Assault does not always have battery but battery always has assault.

T.C.A 39-13-101 - ASSAULT

(A) A person commits assault who intentionally, knowingly or recklessly:

(1) Causes bodily injury to another;

(2) Causes another to reasonably fear imminent injury; or

(3) Causes physical contact with another and a reasonable person would regard the contact as extremely offensive or provocative.

(;) If a threat is made in your presence, and the person making the threat has the ability, opportunity and shows intent to carry it out, an assault has been made.

Guest Jamie
I hate to be a stickler here but this statement is incorrect. Assault can be the threat of bodily injury or harm. Battery is the actual contact. Assault does not always have battery but battery always has assault.

;):wall::):wall::)

Yes that is technically correct... however, if I have stopped my car without contacting said pedestrian and have not said I was gonna run him over... there's no assault. There's not even the threat of assault, given that I have only approached as close as I can without endangering him/her, and they are in the wrong place.

( That's one of the reasons for getting out of the car; it can't be claimed I was sitting there gunning the engine and threatening to run over the person. )

Besides, I think it'd be funny as hell to have the police called when other folks get PO'd 'cause I parked outside the assigned place. Especially when I explained that I tried to park where I was supposed to, but Mr. Crazyguy wouldn't let me.

See? Dealing with this sort of stuff can be both educational AND amusing. :D

J.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Lets just make a thread that Jamie is forced to put one opinion up per day, and everyone else is forced to quote and defend against it.