Brother's car broken into.

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Well as I come home from work this morning (overnight shift) I notice that my step-brothers car has been broken into as I'm pulling into the driveway. He parks in the street in front of our house. I always thought that my neighborhood was one of the safer ones in Oak Ridge but I guess that's not really the case anymore. Of course after looking at the damage I have to walk up my driveway and into the house through the carport. It's 6 am and its pitch black and I don't have my gun because I can't carry at work. Kind got my mind racing about what if someone is still here in the shadows and whatnot. I had my pocket knife out and ready for action but it didn't really help the "naked" feeling of being unarmed. Oh well. I guess nowhere is really all that safe anymore. Maybe I should start bringing my Kel-Tec to work.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Yeah, funny thing is my dad's car is parked just inside the driveway not 15 ft away and they didn't touch it. They must have been pretty brazen too since there's a streetlight at the end of my driveway too. Illuminates the whole area pretty good. Probably some punk-b*tch teenagers. Makes me sick. Someone needs to beat some respect into these kids. If I was home at the time I might have heard it. My window faces the street and I'm a pretty light sleeper.

Yeah, no place is really safe. Even out in the boonies where I live we had a bunch of car break ins a couple of years ago. My vehicles have a motion light looking over them and a few dogs who would hopefully bark, but valuable stuff comes into the house at night. I do not lock the car. That isn't an option in most urban places.

And yes, I'd have a gun in the car when I went to work. Unless they have metal detectors, it would be in my briefcase in a zip-up Daytimer case in the office with me. And I would tell ----- no one.

Guest bkelm18
Yeah, no place is really safe. Even out in the boonies where I live we had a bunch of car break ins a couple of years ago. My vehicles have a motion light looking over them and a few dogs who would hopefully bark, but valuable stuff comes into the house at night. I do not lock the car. That isn't an option in most urban places.

And yes, I'd have a gun in the car when I went to work. Unless they have metal detectors, it would be in my briefcase in a zip-up Daytimer case in the office with me. And I would tell ----- no one.

Yeah, I think I'll probably start carrying. Although I don't know how comfortable it will be. I work as an overnight stocker at Target and it's a pretty physical job. Lots of lifting, carrying, loading, unloading, and so on. Guess I'll just buy some baggier pants to better hide the Kel-Tec.

Guest canynracer
They search your lunch boxes. trying to cut down on employee theft.:popcorn: He needs to keep it on him or leave it in the car (locked in a bolted down quick access safe).

+1 on locking it in the car...at least you are armed when you walk up your drive...its better than where you are now.

and Target cant bust you for it being in your car cause chances are, there are several stores around that share the same parking lot...

Guest canynracer
Well as I come home from work this morning (overnight shift) I notice that my step-brothers car has been broken into as I'm pulling into the driveway. He parks in the street in front of our house. I always thought that my neighborhood was one of the safer ones in Oak Ridge but I guess that's not really the case anymore. Of course after looking at the damage I have to walk up my driveway and into the house through the carport. It's 6 am and its pitch black and I don't have my gun because I can't carry at work. Kind got my mind racing about what if someone is still here in the shadows and whatnot. I had my pocket knife out and ready for action but it didn't really help the "naked" feeling of being unarmed. Oh well. I guess nowhere is really all that safe anymore. Maybe I should start bringing my Kel-Tec to work.

this sucks man...did they take anything? or just break the windows?

+1 on locking it in the car...at least you are armed when you walk up your drive...its better than where you are now.

and Target cant bust you for it being in your car cause chances are, there are several stores around that share the same parking lot...

doesn't matter, your car is considered your property and they can't stop you from leaving it in your car when you work. likewise, you have to consent to their searching your car, should they decide to do that. its a public parking lot and therefore any attempt to regulate what you carry in your car, is unconstitutional.

Guest canynracer
doesn't matter, your car is considered your property and they can't stop you from leaving it in your car when you work. likewise, you have to consent to their searching your car, should they decide to do that. its a public parking lot and therefore any attempt to regulate what you carry in your car, is unconstitutional.

not necessarily...where I work, no gun policy, in most major corps. you sign the company handbook, my parking lot is a secured lot, owned by the company...they have the right to search, if you dont comply, you can be terminated, legally.

this is an "at will" state.

Guest bkelm18

Dozens of other stores use the same parking lot. If Target ever wanted to search my car I'd tell them to suck it. Anyway, anyone have any advice concerning a vehicle safe?

Guest canynracer
Dozens of other stores use the same parking lot. If Target ever wanted to search my car I'd tell them to suck it. Anyway, anyone have any advice concerning a vehicle safe?

thats correct...this would be a "public" lot :popcorn:

something like this would work..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0045006228564a&navCount=0&podId=0045006&parentId=cat20799&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=perf&catalogCode=IH&rid=0180101070502&parentType=index&indexId=cat20799&hasJS=true

not necessarily...where I work, no gun policy, in most major corps. you sign the company handbook, my parking lot is a secured lot, owned by the company...they have the right to search, if you dont comply, you can be terminated, legally.

this is an "at will" state.

yep..and that violates our constitutional right to freedom from unreasonable search. as for the handbook...I wouldn't sign it.

I was recently sent paperwork to sign that said the company would own any idea that I came up with while I was working for them.

I crossed that portion out and initialed a short statement that the company has no claim on any of my intellectual property. they also wanted me to sign a form stating that I wouldn't work for any company that they did business with for 180 days after employment with them....that one got the axe too.

I wrote in that I would abide by that agreement if and ONLY if they were willing to financially support me for the 180 days with a check commensurate with my present salary. when they got the paperwork they asked about that, I told them that this is an at will state...they're free to hire me and fire me when they wish..but I will not enter into any legally binding agreement that limits my ability to earn an income after my employment with any company is terminated by either party.

they said..." well then...how soon can you start?"

Guest canynracer
yep..and that violates our constitutional right to freedom from unreasonable search...
the search would be reasonable if you were breaking company policy...just like the cop will search your car if they have reason, like their dog going nuts...and sure, you dont have to consent to the initial, but if they have reason enough, they WILL get the warrant.

and good job on the fighting to sign...my company on the other hand would laugh, and move to the next candidate... :)

the search would be reasonable if you were breaking company policy...just like the cop will search your car if they have reason, like their dog going nuts...and sure, you dont have to consent to the initial, but if they have reason enough, they WILL get the warrant.

I disagree with the idea that company policy trumps constitutional rights...but I've never read your company handbook. As far as I know, your vehicle is an extension of your house. I cop will NOT search my car unless they have a warrant. if their dog is going nuts, they'd better feed him because he will have no reason to "go nuts" in my car.

an officer is welcome to look in through the windows..but before he breaks the plane of that open window or door, he'd better have a reason that will hold up in court or a warrant, otherwise he's going to have trouble.

Its not that I want to be difficult, but all too often I've seen officers tear apart a car and not put it back.

also, I'll have his patrol supervisor there as well, before he begins his search.

and good job on the fighting to sign...my company on the other hand would laugh, and move to the next candidate...:P

I don't think I'd do well in the rat-race..I'm not a good hamster :)

Guest canynracer

Its not that I want to be difficult, but all too often I've seen officers tear apart a car and not put it back.

also, I'll have his patrol supervisor there as well, before he begins his search.

true

I don't think I'd do well in the rat-race..I'm not a good hamster :)

LOL

I was recently sent paperwork to sign that said the company would own any idea that I came up with while I was working for them.

I had something similar happen with me some years ago. I was between "government jobs" and working for a technical sales rep in Kingsport. People I'd known since I was literally in diapers.

At one point they decided their staff should sign agreements to not leave them and set up a competing company for whatever length of time. While I had no intention of becoming their competition, I also had no intention of limiting my options.

They backed down (hard to find people with my experience?) and a few months later I did resign to do more more government stuff. Funny thing was that three of the companies they represented called me to see if I was starting my own company and, if so, would I take on their equipment to represent.

yep...that should tell you something :)

and I should imagine it was the same way..it IS hard to find qualified folks in my business.

not only that but the folks that NEED people don't want to pay to have someone trained..simply because once they're trained..more than likely they'll go elsewhere for better pay. that makes no sense to me..but there it is.

Well, if they treat you right and pay you properly, you don't look to go somewhere else. I never understand why companies don't figure that out.

I couldn't do your job, Tower. I'm not afraid of heights. In fact I enjoy standing on the edge of a cliff half a mile above the valley or sitting in the open door of a chopper heading down country. But I get nervous on the upper section of an extension ladder. Something about that climbing part....

same here..I couldn't do your job either! say..what was it you do again? :)

to be honest, I don't think I have the quick wits to do what you did or do...I have to think carefully before I do something..shooting from the hip with little or ambiguous information isn't my strong suite.

How you do it and come up with the desired results continues to amaze me :P

You don't have to have quick wits. My wits are certainly slowing. :P

You do have to plan things out about what you will do if X happens and mostly just not panic. This is probably just a matter of slow-wittedness in situations where other sensible people would be running for the border.

Note that my X is not the same as some idiot's X that they have to get off of because they are indeed idiots and did not plan contingencies that would let them stay there and win. :)

The only thing that panics me are wasps and yellow jackets. :rofl:

Guest canynracer

Hey Mars....just curious, and forgive me if I cross a line by getting personal, but what DO you do???

I thought you were Military, then I thought drill instructor..Im just lost...