CMMG experience?

StPatrick

I know a guy who has given me the opportunity to hunt deer on his land.

I only own pistols.

While it would be far easier to buy a 700, model 70, or similar in .270, I think this would be a great excuse for my first AR build.

CMMG is the only company I've seen building gas-piston uppers (I much prefer this design) in 6.8 SPC...does anyone have any experience with the company?

Second, is there a way to build a similar upper with good quality components while saving a buck or six?

Thanks, TGOers. If all works out, I'll have questions regarding lowers, parts kits, furniture, and stocks someday.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other two big names that make 6.8SPC piston uppers are LWRC and POF. CMMG makes good quality kit, a friend of mine has a CMMG 16" carbine upper, only thing is you can't shoot cheap wolf through it, otherwise it voids their warranty. Shouldn't be a problem for you I don't think there is any commercially available steel-cased ammo.

I have a CMMG rifle that I built. I built it using all CMMG parts. I had a problem with the first upper that they sent me not fitting the lower very well and they replaced it no questions asked and very quickly. Great products and great guys to deal with.

No experience with the piston AR's, or 6.8. I do have a 5.56 CMMG that I ordered in two pieces (i.e. upper/lower) a few months ago. About 250 rds so far, no issues. The company delivered a great, quality rifle to me. The lower came in days, the upper within 10 days.