ACOG question

A few months ago I was bragging to a former co-worker about my AR-15 with EOtech and 3x magnifier when I mentioned that I would like to try a ACOG, because I could have gotten one for what I spent on the eotech and magnifier separately during the great Obama scare. He proceeded to tell me that he owned two ACOGS (one older and a newer model with a fiber optic reticle). After telling me how great ACOGs are and how he and his buddies enjoyed using them at a gravel pit near his home in Arkansas (I am still pissed that he never invited me across the river to shoot with them) he offered me the older ACOG free of charge.

I received as a gift a used/slightly beaten TA0NSN model ACOG. He stated that he had purchased a newer model with a fiber optic reticle. The sight that I received has a black reticle during the day and a amber reticle during the night. I have never used one and I am considering selling it after I try it out (it has sat in my safe while I played with the CTC515), but before I make that decision I would like to know if they any good for hunting or is this simply a tacticool sight? I am looking for a 6.8 or .308 rifle and if I can use this scope I won't have to purchase that Leupold Mark 4 that I covet.

Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

LInks2k

Edited by LINKS2K
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06

The TA01NSN (I am assuming this is the model you are talking about, as I could not find a TA0NSN) is actually a better site than the ones with the fiber reticle. It was designed for SOCOM. The reticle in that sight is tritium and needs no ambient light. The other difference between this and some of the other ACOGs is that the TA01NSN is only BDC out to 600 meters rather than 800 for the ACOGs for longer rifles.

The TA01NSN is calibrated for the M4 flat top with a 14.5 inch BBL top and 62GR 5.56. As far as hunting with it, yes it will work but the reticle BDC will not work as intended. In addition the eye rellief is a bit short for 308. Only one inch on the TA01NSN.

If you decide to sell it shoot me a PM, if the price is right I'll take it off of your hands for you. I am doing a build right now and been looking for a sight for it any way.

Edited by redbarron06
Guest redbarron06
How is it better? My TA31F has the fiber optic tube to light the reticle in daylight and tritium for night time illumination.

No fiberoptics to break and 2 and 300 meters are actually bracketed out in the reticle rather than having a chevron that is good from 1 at the top to 3 at the bottom.

Maybe better is not the right choice of words but designed for a different purpose.

Guest redbarron06
You are correct. The model is TA01NSN.

I think you will like it but if you don't let me know I can try to work something out. I have the TA01NSN on my 16 inch upper and I am very happy with mine and would not mind having another.

I can't say how well that ACOG would do on a rifle that it wasn't intended for. However, a good friend of mine received from a good friend of his, as a gift, the same scope in si

ilar (beat up, heavily worn, 2 coats of "coyote" paint and slightly dimmed tritium). Mounted on a flat-top bushmaster M4 with permanently attached LONG muzzle brake, he put 3 Hornady 223 62 grainers into an inch at 100 yards. Dead on the freaking bullseye. To say I was impressed would be a huge understatement... That particular ACOG had one confirmed kill attributed to it. Personally, not being a rifleman and being a c

"city-boy", I would choose an EoTech or Aimpoint for my rifle. However, when I acquire adequate rifle training/experience I will not hesitate to mount an ACOG on my 223. Personally I would hesitate to sell/trade something that I had received as a gift, BUT I recognize that it's yours to do with as you please. As far as scopes go, ACOG's have my complete respect and are worth every penny.