Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon II vs Sitka

Which one would you get?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you get?

• Pygmy Falcon II
    • Sitka Gearslinger

Ok, so I have not been able to make up my mind about which maxpedition bag to get. I was dead set on the Sitka until I saw the Pygmy Falcon II.

The P.F.II has double the capacity of the Sitka, plus two straps, and it still looks pretty compact. The Sitka has that whole "slide around to the front" aspect but half the capacity and about ~$30 more expensive.

Pygmy Falcon II: ~$80

0517K_Live.jpg

• Dimension: 18"(H) x 9.5"(W) x 5.5"(D) Main Compartment
  • 12"(H) x 7.5"(W) x 2.75"(D) Front Pouch
  • 12"(H) x 7.5"(W) Slip Pocket
  • Capacity: 1400 cu. in. / 23 liters
  • Hydration: Two side pouches for 1L Nalgene
  • Support: 1in Adjustable Sternum Strap
  • Optional Accessories: Grimloc Carabiner
  • Empty Weight: 36.9 oz.

Sitka Gearslinger: ~$110

sitka002.jpg

• Single shoulder backpack designed to maximize utility when rotated towards front of body
  • Main compartment: 15” high x 8” wide x 3” thick with internal organization
  • Top front: 4” high x 7.5” wide x 2” thick with internal organization
  • Bottom front: 8” high x 7.5” wide x 2” thick with internal organization
  • Approximate Capacity: 618 cu. in.
  • Main compartment and hydration compartment can accept CCW accessories
  • Shoulder strap designed to go over left shoulder for better weapon shouldering
  • Bag can be worn in front and contents comfortably accessed while sitting down
  • Water bottle pocket sized to fit 32oz Nalgene bottle
  • Compatible with 100oz hydration reservoir
  • Theft deterrent devices built-in to capture zipper pulls
  • PALS modular webbing throughout to for attaching accessories
  • Top and side handles

Edited by jtluttrell
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm, Interesting. If you go with the PF you loose the accessible holster option, but gain space. The Sitka seems more versatile. I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. Camping or extended outside activities I would go with the PF. For everyday versatility and convenience I'd go with the Sitka. Also remember the more space you have the more you will carry. Not always a good thing :death:

I've had both & still own the PF2. The Sitka looks like a nice idea, but frankly it's a pain in the ass when you've got more than a couple of pounds in it. It slides around all over the place, your shoulder fatigues a lot quicker & 'rotating it to the front' turns it upside down & all your crap falls out (maybe I did that bit wrong....?) Take it off & you can wear it on your chest, but once you've got it off, you can access your stuff anyway, same a 'proper' backpack.

The PALS stuff al over the place is a waste of material too. Tacticool? Yes. Practical applications? None.

Also remember the more space you have the more you will carry. Not always a good thing :wall:

Very True.

I've had both & still own the PF2. The Sitka looks like a nice idea, but frankly it's a pain in the ass when you've got more than a couple of pounds in it. It slides around all over the place, your shoulder fatigues a lot quicker

Great info.

I don't see the appeal of putting all the weight on one shoulder.

This is a common complaint in the reviews I've read.

Guest Bronker

FWIW, there's a nurse here that works with me that carries a Pygmy every single day. He even wears it around the facility as he works. He's a hospice nurse with limited patient contact. Regardless, his is four years old, and did 6 months in Afghanistan as well. He loves it. Says he has ordered other bags to supplement it, but keeps coming back to the Pygmy.

FWIW.

just from the pics I say you need to decide if the pack is for the beach or the woods.

I never know if you're trying to be funny or not, but I :popcorn::rofl: at that.

Same reasons that the others have said, I would go with the Pygmy. I don't have direct experience with either of these, but I've carried several types of backpacks and bags and I always get frustrated with ones that are single shoulder.

Guest 70below

I don't have experience with either pack, but I wouldn't head out with any gear that didn't distribute the weight evenly across my shoulders/back