Recommendations on barrel length, twist, and manufacturer for percision AR

leroy

Dear fellow shooters:___________

I have decided to build a long range precision AR. I will be shooting from 68 to 80 grain pills thru this one. I am seeking your opinions on barrel length, twist, barrel manufacturer, ect, ect, and good loads for this combination. This rifle will be a flat top with a 6 power or above scope. I would like to see a .5 to .75 moa rifle at 300 + yards. Please provide your opinions on these weighty questions.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Leroy

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I would give Hero Gear a call and talk w/ Howard Pitts. He'd be able to set you up with a nice custom built AR for around the price of buying parts and doing it yourself.

I'd go w/ at least a 20-22" barrel, maybe 1:9 twist rate.

As far as a budget, are you trying to do something as economical as possible? Or no set limit?

Guest FroggyOne2

Howard is a great smith and I know him personally.. he is magical with a bolt gun and reasonable with his rates.. But, if you want a long range AR spacegun.. then the person to talk to is John Hollinger at White Oak Precision..

Ok.. now the serious stuff.. there are several barrel makers to choose from.. those being at the top are

Kreiger

Rock Creek

Bartlien

these three are students of Boots Obermeyer.

Twist rate: at min you will want a 8 twist bbl.. Kreiger makes a 7.7 .. and if you want to shoot the 80gr AMax.. then you may want to consider a 7 Twist or 7.5 twist..

If you want to shoot the Berger 90's then you need a 7 twist for sure.. at min lenght barrel of 30 inches. When you order your barrel.. if it is not in stock.. will take approx 4 months to get.

Powders: If you shoot 80 gr bullets or less.. Varget is the go to powder.. second is IMR 4895 or H4895, 90gr bullets will require N550 or RL15.

Scope: Sightron SIII 6-24 LRD or the SIII 8-32 LR (D, or FCH) but I recommend the FCH!

Trigger.. there are only two to consider:

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=X-Treme%20AR-15%20trigger Match Rifle weight.

http://www.geissele.com/ Match Rifle weight

If you want to see .5 to .75 moa groups.. there are a few things that you will need on your reloading table..

1. primer pocket uniformer from Sinclair Intl .. 8000 series is a good one! If your using Lapua brass.. make sure you tell them.

2. Inside flash hole uniformer from Sinclair..

3. Flash hole size uniformer

This work is very important to getting consistancy in the .223 at long distances..

You will need at least a some kind of bushing die to control your neck tension.. Redding or Wilson.. Go with the Redding die.. Wilson bushings.. why.. Redding bushings have a taper in them.. Wilsons don't. Save you money on the bushings.. just get the steel ones..

If you have any other questions.. feel free to ask.. I will try to help you best I can.

Edited by FroggyOne2

Thanks to all who have provided input; especially Froggy. Have done business with our buddies at Predator Custom Shop. Will get them to assemble whatever i can come up with.

Again, many thanks and kind regards to all,

Leroy

Guest FroggyOne2
Noveske 1:7 20 inch /thread

Actually.. for long range work.. a bbl longer than 20 inches should be used.. it is about speed.. and accuracy.. but speed.. is important.. you just can't get it with a 20 inch bbl.. not with the heavy bullets for long range work..

Also.. no one that I know of .. are using anything Noveske.. just a waste of money.. a standard factory flat top upper will suffice.. the accuaracy is in the bbl work.. and tuning the gas system..