"Phelps" the dog

A good story to come out of a bad situation. Hate it when folks don't do right by their animals.

Phelps the Dog's Olympic Rescue | MyFoxMemphis | Fox 13 News

Memphis, Tn - Lounging around and getting a little love is perfectly acceptable for this guy, considering the marathon swim he just finished.

"We named him Phelps because he's an Olympic Swimmer," Amanda McNeely from the Memphis and Shelby County Humane Society said.

On a rescue mission to Millington Tuesday, animal rescuers found this guy. McNeely says he survived the flood using his "Michael Phelps" abilities.

"He apparently had been tied to a fence and was left tied to a fence prior to the flooding and so he was actually swimming the whole time that the flood waters were rising," McNeely said.

His battle scars are starting to heal. Phelps is red around his neck where he was tied to the fence. And, a few scratches on his head mark where fast-moving debris slammed into his body.

"A lot of people lost their pets because of the flood. Especially in the trailer parks where they weren't allowed to go back in and get their animals. And, so there were some drownings," McNeely said.

McNeely, along with animal rescuers from Collierville, Bartlett, and Memphis, saved 18 animals from Millington, Phelps and 17 cats.

If the owners don't come by to pick them up in 14 days, all of these pets will be up for adoption.

"I feel so bad. I wish I could save them too. But, I'm glad he's somewhere safe," visitor Tanedra Watkins said.

Phelps is probably very grateful for that too... and some dry ground.

"This guy broke my heart because he's such a lover. All he wanted was some one to be there and we were happy to do that," McNeely said.

Video at link.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The animals are often forgotten, but I always pray for them just as much as the people during storms and such. They need someone to think of them. Even before the flooding began I was thinking that it had been raining hard for over 24 hours by that point and I doubt that birds and squirrels and rabbits probably had not eaten much in those 24 hours. I hate it when people leave their animals in situations like this. Mine would be going with me no matter what.

• Administrator

Keep in mind that many of the people who left animals behind didn't have a choice in the matter. One of my wife's co-workers was informed by rescue workers that she could bring her baby, but not their dog, onto a rescue boat. They finally caved when she refused to budge.