waiting for my permit

Soon I will be joining the minority of Tennesseans who have a carry permit. I got finger printed today so my permit should be on its way in 90 days or hopefully sooner. I would be extatic if it got here in three weeks like some of yall have indicated.

I took my Class at “On Targetâ€, which I really enjoyed. I felt like the instructor was knowledgeable and kept the class as interesting as possible. I got a 100 on both the Q&A and the shooting portion of the test. I rented their 22 pistol for the shooting test because it was only $5 as apposed to $15 for a box of .40s&w.

The whole class took place at John Sevier range, which I am a big fan of. As some people have noted, their range is very regulated but it makes me feel safe, especially around new shooters.

Per my instructor's advice I avoided the Department of Safety at Strawberry Plains and instead went to the one in Clinton. I was in and out in less than 45 minuets, which more than made up for the hour round trip drive.

I got finger printed at “At Work Personnel Services†on Kingston Pike and I was in and out of there in about 15 min. It only took that long because I struggled to hold my fingers in exactly the right spot.

On Target Training Center, Inc. - Handgun Carry Permit Training - Knoxville, Tennessee

Edited by chadbuddy
fix link
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Gillespk

I was printed on 4/26 and received my permit today, good luck and hope the fast turn around continues for your permit

Times seem to vary from very short to long waits. After 30 days I would politely call DPS to inquire the status. I spent several months patiently waiting for my permit. When I finally called, it was issued that day and received 5 days later.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Congrats, hopefully you will get your HCP soon. I was finger printed on 5-14-10. Approval on 5-27-10. Recieved my HCP today (6-5-10).

I will be doing my Wally-walk tomorow(probably at Sam's Club) with my Colt Defender tucked inside a Don Hume IWB. WOOOOHOOOO!!!

I went on my Wally World Walk today. I couldn't find the official map of the approved route to take so I just kinda browsed by the $5 DVDs, looked at the automotive ailses - grabbing some JB Weld, and the headed straight to the ammo cage. I got a little carried away though; I ended up buying 500 rounds of 40 s&w.

Now I guess there is no reason to go to or method to fund a trip to the gun show tommorow.

Guest jackdm3

My friend is German with a green card made every two years. His card is due in Oct. and that card will be valid for ten years. He needs his HCP yesterday considering he's in a dimly lit Midtown 3-story. He won't leave his pistol in the apartment, so he brings it to the car and separates mag from gun. Gets to work and takes the mag inside. He doesn't take it in any stores.

Is he doing it right?

If he took the class this weekend, went to DMV 3 days later to print an pay, would any of his paperwork suffice in lieu of a card? Sooooo long since I did mine as well as my wife with hers that we don't remember. I do remember the paperwork was good as an overlap between 1st and 2nd cards.

Isn't renewal around $50? He thinks he'll have to renew in Oct. when he gets another green card. Do you know? <------- That's a question I've not seen covered here.

He's got a .45 burning a hole in hip going to and from his apartment. I'll lend him a holster but we're both concerned about a LEO's interaction if he's wearing a holster to and from his truck if it might be construed as him being in the habit of carrying without a permit.

His $64,000 question directly to you guys is: If he's found with it in his waistband in or out of the truck, is that a violation and what's the first time offense (never been arrested) for doing so?

If he took the class this weekend, went to DMV 3 days later to print an pay, would any of his paperwork suffice in lieu of a card?

In the class the instructor will tell the applicants, they can not carry untill their permit is in their posession.