Screwed Up Justice System

Guest WestTN_reb

Guest WestTN_reb

I decided to come and vent.

In September of 2008, I had 7 firearms and 2 reproduction Civil War swords stolen from my house. The police apprehended one of my neighbors that same day, who was in posession of 4 of my firearms, the rest having already been sold on the street.

He was released on bail in December of 2008, and failed to appear for court in April of 2009. He was re-captured and his trial set for December. Just days before the trial, the case was postponed until the January 2010 circuit court session.

In January 2010, the judge had to have an appendectomy, so the hearing to set the trial date was pushed back to March 9, 2010. Lo and behold, the dirtbag skipped town AGAIN! The District Attorney's office didn't feel the need to inform me until I called them in April. The call has never been returned, even with messages being left.

This has got me seeing red, and wanting to seriously injure the bas***d if I ever lay eyes on him. What is wrong with the justice system that allows this kind of crap to happen?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuff gets postponed all the time. When the BG is out on bond it almost always gets pushed back to make room for those in jail because of that pesky "speedy trial" thing.

I am not sure if you could get a bond release notification now or if that would even help keep you informed of his status, I doubt it. I got a bond release notification when my brother was put in jail for assaulting our mother and then coming to kill me. You also might try getting an order of protection from him based on the fact he robbed you. They still won't notify you of his status in the court system though unless the courts feel he is a threat to you.

Are you going to be a witness in the trial? If so then they should have notified you of any changes in the court dates.

The justice system is so overworked as it is that calling victims would only create more of a backlog. It sounds like you probably need to stay on top of it yourself. Don't rely on the courts to notify you of his status. And honestly, I do not believe they are obligated to notify you of the changes or his status in the court system unless you have a order of protection or a bond release notification. I had to call to find out if my brother was released and I had a bond release notification. Mine fell through because my brother was transferred to a medical facility and released from there.

I know it sucks knowing the criminal is out running around when he shouldn't be but it is all part of the system of today. I see my brother all the time and it tears me up knowing he intended on hurting my family and I but was able to get the charges dropped. He should have been in jail for a substantial amount of time because of the standoff with police.

Dolomite

don't feel so bad, I was a victim of one of 8 armed robberies by the same two criminals. They should have gotten 8 years per count, they got 8 years total.

Probably out on the street this year.

Nice system we have.

Just wait till it finally goes to trial and someone on the jury thought he didn't mean to do it. Because that is the story the defense attorney paints. Low and behold you he gets off scott free. Happens all the time!

We had a local lady who was charged with over 30 counts of theft/fraud when she would steal gift cards and load them with $500 each. She totalled a little over $60K in what she had stolen over a 6 month period. She plead guilty to it and promised to make restitution even though she said she was unable to work because of a mental condition. Her sentence was 3 years unsupervised probation and as of yet she still hasn't went to work.

The problem is the restitution is generally paid by the courts to the victim them the courts go after the criminal. I have seen it done this way numerous times. If this happened in this case then we, as tax payers, foot the bill for her thefts and she gets to keep the money unless she goes back to work.

It also passes along a message to others who have nothing to loose, if you steal and plead guilty nothing will happen to you.

Yes, the justice system needs a revamp along with 90% of the laws on the books.

Dolomite

Guest Sgt. Joe

We could do as other countries do where stealing no matter the value means you have you hand cut off......Do we want to go there?

OP I realized that comment has nothing to do with your situation and do understand your frustration and I am sorry you have to continue to endure it.

And I would bet your perp is still very close by and just making sure he dont come near where you may see him.....Here's hoping you get lucky and they nail him.

If you DO see him.....let logic and common sense overide your anger, call 911 and follow him if possible. Dont get yourself in trouble that you dont need.

I am a Noob to this carry stuff but the above advice is from a wise ole man;)

We could do as other countries do where stealing no matter the value means you have you hand cut off......Do we want to go there?

Haha, Joe. We're in a country that says we have to provide prisoners with cable TV. Cut off hands? It'd never happen.

But if I had to choose between an extreme system that cut off hands for stealing and the system we now have where almost every criminal caught is put back on the streets in a matter of hours to repeat the offenses, I'd have a tough time deciding. :)

Guest Boogieman
Haha, Joe. We're in a country that says we have to provide prisoners with cable TV. Cut off hands? It'd never happen.

But if I had to choose between an extreme system that cut off hands for stealing and the system we now have where almost every criminal caught is put back on the streets in a matter of hours to repeat the offenses, I'd have a tough time deciding. :)

+100

Well fwiw I am asking a serious question

The part of the bible that applies today, (New Testament in other words), is to obey the laws of the land in which we dwell. Punishment is set forth in the law of the land as well: therefore, we obey those too. So this hand-cutting crap is just that.

IMHO, the biggest problem with "believers" today is that they cannot apply 2 Timothy 2:15 "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth" [emphasis mine] to their lives. They fail in this because they fail to study. The bible was written to the Jews, the non-believers, (the lost), and the Saints, (believers). A believer cannot apply what was written to the Jews to themself, but they frequently try. So you get these people saying some of the stupid crap you see now days.

Guest WestTN_reb

OP I realized that comment has nothing to do with your situation and do understand your frustration and I am sorry you have to continue to endure it.

And I would bet your perp is still very close by and just making sure he dont come near where you may see him.....Here's hoping you get lucky and they nail him.

If you DO see him.....let logic and common sense overide your anger, call 911 and follow him if possible. Dont get yourself in trouble that you dont need.

I am a Noob to this carry stuff but the above advice is from a wise ole man;)

Thankfully, I've moved to another town, so I don't have to worry about that particular dirtbag being nearby anymore. I would still like to see justice served. According to some of his distant relatives (who I work with), he's been in jail at least 4 other times for various offences. WTF?

...News flash: We have a legal system; not a justice system. ...

What a truth brother!! I heartily agree. Justice is hardly ever served in the courts today. Look at the Christian-Newsome verdicts.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards,

Leroy