New to the area permit questions

Guest sneakboxer

Guest sneakboxer

Hello All,

This is my first post so please take it easy on me. I'm transferring from hawaii to your great state and I'm looking forward to carrying again. I have a active Michigan CCW and expired permits from Maine and my home state of PA (also my home of record). Are there any military benefits when it comes to getting a permit? I intend to take the first available class when i get in to town to learn the state laws and such. I'm also applying for a PA permit because they are cheaper and faster but having a TN permit will make encounters smother and more states honor a TN permit than a PA permit.

Can anyone shed some light on active duty military members getting permits?

Like the wait? required residency? Drivers license required?

Thanks in advance and i hope to meet some of you on the range,

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Hello All,

This is my first post so please take it easy on me. I'm transferring from hawaii to your great state and I'm looking forward to carrying again. I have a active Michigan CCW and expired permits from Maine and my home state of PA (also my home of record). Are there any military benefits when it comes to getting a permit? I intend to take the first available class when i get in to town to learn the state laws and such. I'm also applying for a PA permit because they are cheaper and faster but having a TN permit will make encounters smother and more states honor a TN permit than a PA permit.

Can anyone shed some light on active duty military members getting permits?

Like the wait? required residency? Drivers license required?

Thanks in advance and i hope to meet some of you on the range,

If you are a resident of TN for greater than six months and wish to carry a firearm, you must have a TN HCP. You can get by with out of state permits up to your 6 month point but after that you are required to have a TN HCP if you wish to continue carrying a handgun. If you can provide the TN DoS with some sort of handgun proficiency certificate then it's possible that the class requirement can be waived. I believe you do need a TN DL in order to apply for your TN HCP but there is no minimum residency requirements.

This comes from the TDOS website:

• Effective July 1, 2005, Tennessee handgun carry permit law will now allow certain applicants already exempt from complying with firing range provisions of the current statute to also be exempt from any classroom requirements. Those current exceptions are applicants who prove to the department that within five (5) years from the date of application for handgun permit, the applicant has:
    1. Been certified by the police officer's standards and training commission, or
    2. successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy; or
    3. successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guards; or
    4. successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.
    5. A person who is employed in this state for at least thirty (30) hours a week for six (6) consecutive months is required to obtain a Tennessee handgun carry permit within six (6) months from the last day of the sixth month of regular employment in Tennessee. A Tennessee handgun carry permit will be issued in this situation only if the other state has eligibility requirements that are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee. If the eligibility requirements from the other state are substantially similar to the eligibility requirements of Tennessee, Tennessee may issue a Tennessee permit to the person employed in this state under the renewal provisions of Tennessee law.

Applicants are required to be a resident of the State of Tennessee;

Hello,

If you have proof of handgun training you can skip the range part of the class. But even if you had the training, why would you want to skip the fun part?

What part of Hawaii are you in? I spent over four years at Helemano.

Hello,

If you have proof of handgun training you can skip the range part of the class. But even if you had the training, why would you want to skip the fun part?

What part of Hawaii are you in? I spent over four years at Helemano.

It used to be that way. This was amended in 2005. If you can show proof that you meet the requirements in Blackhawk93's post, you can skip all of the class. I waited until they changed the law to get my HCP. I walked into the DOS office with my POST certificate. Paid the money. Did my fingerprints. Got a permit a couple of months later.

From TCA 39-17-1351(e):

An applicant shall not be required to comply with the firing range and classroom hours requirements of this subsection (e) if the applicant submits proof to the department that within five (5) years from the date the application for a handgun carry permit is filed the applicant has:

(1) Been certified by the peace officer standards and training commission;

(2) Successfully completed training at the law enforcement training academy;

(3) Successfully completed the firearms training course required for armed security guard/officer registration, pursuant to § 62-35-118(;); or

(4) Successfully completed all handgun training of not less than four (4) hours as required by any branch of the military.

Sneakboxer,

Taking the HCP class will fill you in on about everything you need to know when carrying a gun in TN. I wouldn't blame you a bit if you saved the cash you'd spend on the class and use one of the above exemptions to obtain your permit. But, if you do, I would strongly urge you to spend some serious time going through all the state laws, case law, etc regarding weapon possession, deadly force, etc. while you're waiting for the permit to come in.

Guest bkelm18
Note what it says for GA: "pay the applicable renewal fee"

Will cost GA permit owner $50 instead of $115.

- OS

Oops. I knew dipping into that Gentleman Jack too early was a bad thing. ;)

Note what it says for GA: "pay the applicable renewal fee"

Will cost GA permit owner $50 instead of $115.

- OS

I just can't see the DOS doing that for a new applicant from anywhere. I know that the website says it, but I think I'd go there expecting to pay $115 and hope for the best.

I just can't see the DOS doing that for a new applicant from anywhere. I know that the website says it, but I think I'd go there expecting to pay $115 and hope for the best.

Several out of state applicants have confirmed the info.

The only mixup was when one had current out of state permit taken by lady at DL station, which she should NOT have done.

Note that all states are listed that issue permits. The ones that full fee must be paid state the amount $115 clearly. The others state "applicable renewal fee". Dunno why that amount is not spelled out though, as both are mandated by TCA, and can't be changed by mere whim of TNDOS.

- OS

Several out of state applicants have confirmed the info.

The only mixup was when one had current out of state permit taken by lady at DL station, which she should NOT have done.

Note that all states are listed that issue permits. The ones that full fee must be paid state the amount $115 clearly. The others state "applicable renewal fee". Dunno why that amount is not spelled out though, as both are mandated by TCA, and can't be changed by mere whim of TNDOS.

- OS

Did not realize that. That's great for the folks that can do it. I think they charge was too much for the HCP anyway. I've never seen anything in TCA that would suggest that a permit holder from another state would be considered a "renewal" instead of an "applicant" in regards to fees. That's not to say irt's not there, I just haven't seen it.

Did not realize that. That's great for the folks that can do it. I think they charge was too much for the HCP anyway. I've never seen anything in TCA that would suggest that a permit holder from another state would be considered a "renewal" instead of an "applicant" in regards to fees. That's not to say irt's not there, I just haven't seen it.

Yes, you're right, it doesn't specify those specifically, all it says pertinent to that seems to be:

"The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state."

So the extent and requirements are obviously left up to TNDOS as to what they require from the other states as regarding training, fingerprints, and fee, depending on which state the permit is from.

- OS

Yes, you're right, it doesn't specify those specifically, all it says pertinent to that seems to be:

"The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state."

So the extent and requirements are obviously left up to TNDOS as to what they require from the other states as regarding training, fingerprints, and fee, depending on which state the permit is from.

- OS

Cool. I'm definitely not complaining. Like I said, it's my opinion that the HCP fee is insanely high anyway!