summer gun substitute as EDC

Mike.357

I don't carry a wallet. What I use is a little plastic thing that folds and has a two pockets. big enough for a a couple of ID's, insurance card, debit card and my work credit card. I have a wallet but it is in the console of my vehicle. I don't like stuff in my back pockets. My knife is in and out of my pocket many times during the day. I hate coins and dump then ASAP either into a cup holder or a drawer depending on where I am at. Folding money is never an issue, what is that stuff anyway? :tinfoil:

But like I said that is my situation.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I never buy anything but cargo pants for years, either long pants or shorts. Carry keys in left pocket, wallet in left cargo pocket. Typically a little leatherman 'technician' knife-tool and spare change in right pocket. Palm win-mobile phone in a small camera case on a carabiner hanging on a belt loop.

Typical carry for years was a NAA .380 on right-side belt, in the zipper rug-holster they sell. Carry concealed right out in the open. Nobody ever looks twice at the rug-holster since its about the same size as a cellphone case. But its usually covered by un-tucked t-shirt. I never have to dress up, and don't have any button-up shirts except a couple of winter outside workshirts.

Other times would IWB carry a S&W 649. But the snubby stainless .357 is pretty heavy and fat, wants to drag down the pants.

Tried right-pocket pocket-holster carrying either the 649 or NAA, but it never worked for me. The 649 is too heavy in a pocket, and wants to get turned around the wrong way even in a pocket holster. The NAA is just too tiny and definitely wants to end up turned sideways or upside down in the pocket.

Eventually put laser sights on both carry guns, because the sights are so hard to see. But they are hardly accurate in my hands even with a laser. Stiff triggers. The 649 kicks like a mule and the .380 is real snappy too just because it is so tiny with a two-finger grip. Just last-ditch point-blank gadgets with iffy confidence of actually being useful in an emergency.

Fantasized that the ideal carry gun would be if I could put a Beretta 92FS in a shrink-ray and have a 9mm with the 92FS features about the same size as the snubbie revolver. The 92FS shoots real pleasant and accurate, but its so dern big to tote around. Tried carrying the 92FS awhile in one of those groin holsters, but didn't like that much either.

Had been reading good things about the Kahr PM9. Local store had a P9, the PM9's big brother with 3.5" barrel. It is a really flat light package, and can (just barely) get all the fingers on the grip. Points real natural, much better trigger than the 649 or NAA 380.

Bought it and have good expectations to carry it about 100 percent once it is broken in.

Was maybe thinking kinda wrong about the ideal pocket pistol. Was thinking it should be light, thin, and small. But this "almost full size" P9 fits entirely in the pocket, and fills up the pocket enough with a pocket holster that it doesn't have room to get turned around. It stays in the correct position because it doesn't have any other choice. Light enough not to drag down the pants, and doesn't print at all compared to the fat 649.

The P9 might be mostly pocket carry, though it should IWB easy too.

A safe packer belt holster might not be too obvious, "concealed out in the open" like the NAA zipper rug holster. Wish some company would sell several sizes of that NAA zipper rug holster.

The Safe Packer holster I got for the Beretta 92 is real high quality, but really way too big, but that design couldn't be any smaller and hold the gun. Just sayin, a zipper rug holster that would "perfectly fit" the P9 would be quite a bit smaller than the smallest Safe Packer that would hold it.

I don't see the need to change my carry weapon with the weather. Summer, winter, spring or fall, I'm carrying either a Ruger SP101 or S&W M&P9c (both OWB) with a 442 in the pocket as a BUG.

As soon as my K&D Thunderbird Defender gets here in July I will be carrying the M&P45c that I bought about 2 weeks ago year round.

If you dress around the gun you shouldn't have to change what you carry because of the weather.

Guest Moody

I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to carry (I'm nervous, because I won't carry a gun until I've practiced with it, feel comfortable, and know about its consistency, reliability, etc.)

For year-round, my trusty M&P 45 stays with me, but on the weekends, I'll carry my "Church Gun", when I'm going out formally, or dressing up, which is a Nitron Sig Carry 1911. In the winter, I'll sometimes sub out the M&P for my Springfield 1911, because I honestly don't want to sweat all over one of my nice 1911s, and I don't mind with the M&P, as it's my workhorse. Besides that, I will carry a new gun to see how I like it, or how I don't like it, just *because*. I do have a few guns that I do not carry, whatsoever, because of what they are, and my goals with them (as many here also have the same ideals, and also have guns that they don't carry).

Guest cheez

I carry a variety of guns in the winter but in the summer my favorite carry gun is quickly becoming my little 642 in my right front pocket. The gun is extremely light and compact. Occaisionally I forget it is even there. I'm not really confident in the .38 round but Hornady is changing that with the Critical Defense ammo.

Guest Ae-35
I carry a variety of guns in the winter but in the summer my favorite carry gun is quickly becoming my little 642 in my right front pocket. The gun is extremely light and compact. Occasionally I forget it is even there. I'm not really confident in the .38 round but Hornady is changing that with the Critical Defense ammo.

You want confidence in a 38 round, try Buffalo Bore 158gn. LSWCHP GC +P, it's 3/4 of a 357mag. !!!! I like!!!!:blink:

Guest scott6261

In the winter i carry an M&P 40 and once it warms up i swap to the Glock 27. once and a while i'll carry the Lcp but only if i cant conceal the glock enough.

Guest daybreaker

Winter months I carry a Glock 30....

When warm weather hits I usually swap to my Glock 27/Taurus TCP (depends on where I'm going).

Just purchased a Ruger LCR and with a few more trips to the range it might replace my 27 as my summer carry. The LCR just screams comfort!!