IF THERE WERE NO GUNS WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE

Guest ADAM

Guest Jamie
Dude, I really wanted to know about the proper usage of [sic]. The implications were interesting, since I wrote (so it was not a 2nd hand quote) the line about "sweet numchucks" as sarcasm, as I was impersonating an editor while quoting myself. Despite my educational handicap, having never minored in English (since I already speak it good) I wanted to know the proper usage.

You've probably disappointed a lot of people by showing a rudimentary conscience here.

Sic is a Latin word meaning "thus", "so", "as such", or "in such a manner". It is used when writing quoted material to indicate that an incorrect or unusual spelling, phrase, punctuation or meaning in the quote has been reproduced verbatim from the original and is not a transcription error. It is normally placed within the quoted material, in square brackets and often italicized – [sic]. Alternatively it can appear after the quote in parentheses (round brackets) – (sic).[1]

It had a long e sound in Latin, meaning that it was pronounced like the English word "seek", /ˈsiːk/; however, has been anglicised to /ˈsɪk/, like the English word "sick".

Google is your friend... Jack I'm not so sure about. :lol::D :D

J

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...I may be guilty of the lamest threadjack ever. We went from guys arguing about swords / clubs / spears to a serious discussion of aforementioned swords...to grammar. Mea culpa, mea culpa mea maxima dork-culpa.

Man, as cool as we are with guns and stuff, imagine how lame the hardcore REAL dorks out there are? Amiright? Fellas?

Guest Glock23ForMe
Wow...I may be guilty of the lamest threadjack ever. We went from guys arguing about swords / clubs / spears to a serious discussion of aforementioned swords...to grammar. Mea culpa, mea culpa mea maxima dork-culpa.

Man, as cool as we are with guns and stuff, imagine how lame the hardcore REAL dorks out there are? Amiright? Fellas?

And I turned it into a sig picture.... :cool:

Dude, I really wanted to know about the proper usage of [sic]. The implications were interesting, since I wrote (so it was not a 2nd hand quote) the line about "sweet numchucks" as sarcasm, as I was impersonating an editor while quoting myself. Despite my educational handicap, having never minored in English (since I already speak it good) I wanted to know the proper usage.

You've probably disappointed a lot of people by showing a rudimentary conscience here.

actually you would speak it well, just saying

:cool:

Guest Glock23ForMe
Somebody needs to hit him with a rockety rock rock....

J.

Why?

Because your gun isn't as reliable as my (our) Glock(s)...

Guest Jamie
Why?

You know... Alternate F****** Weapon? :cool:

J.

Edited by Jamie
Edited to paraphrase Doc Holliday in "Tombstone".
I'm amazed it took this long for somebody to notice that - I thought it would be funnier and more obvious than it truly was. Well done, Mike.

I try to do my part, I figured it was a set up, :cool: nicely played!

Guest Jamie
Battery powered cattle prod. A big one.

We used to zap each other with those, back when I worked cattle... It never did much past make us cuss, holler, and jump. :cool:

Left some interesting burn marks though...

J.

Guest Daelith

No guns, crossbows or compound bows. That just cut out three quarters of my home arsenal. Guess I would go for the swords. Next choice would be a baseball bat. That's got me to thinking maybe I need to invest in one of those.

Guest Jamie

Don't overlook the potential of a good heavy walking stick, like this shillelagh:

shillelagh.jpg

Matter of fact, it's not a bad thing to have in addition to a gun.

J.