Dedicated .22lr 1911

Capbyrd

Has anyone ever built a dedicated 1911? I have been thinking about doing exactly that. I know that there are a few options out there like the Chiappa 1911-22 or to just buy a conversion kit but I don't want the lack of after market of the Chiappa and don't care for conversions since they aren't dedicated.

I was thinking that I could build a frame to my specs so it would be exactly like I wanted and then throw one of the conversion kits on it permanently.

Which kind of brings up a few questions. Conversions range from 200 to 600 bucks. Anyone have any experience with them and what would you recommend? I want something with a threaded barrel or something with a barrel that I can thread after the fact because I do want to run a suppressor on this.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, i been toying with the idea of converting a reg 1911 frame just for .22 plinking. Bad news is you can sink a LOT of money into a frame, nice internals and custom fitting a safe smooth lower before you even get the conversion to slap on top. Another downer is finding a .22 conversion that locks the slide back after the last shot. They don't all do that either. Not trying to be a buzz killer but that's why I'm still looking for alternatives. :)

I'm not worried about the price of my frame and whatnot because if push ever came to shove, I could always just go to 45. The nice thing about doing it this way is that I could switch over. Plus, I can build it exactly the way I want it. I'm not sure how I feel about the slide locking back. I don't consider that a deal breaker necessarily. My 10/22 doesn't lock the bolt back and I love that gun.

Guest friesepferd

eh, thats why i love my ruger 22/45. feels and shoots like a 1911, but has the reliability and accuracy of the mkIII and its stupidly cheap.

I don’t think it has been done because the .22 doesn’t have the power to reliably move a 1911 slide around. You have to take weight off the slide and then it’s not a 1911 anymore.

I could be wrong through.

Guest tbone

What you want is the Advantage Arms conversion kit. It is the only one that I have found that will hold the slide open on an empty mag. If you use the ammo that is recommended (Rem Golden Bullets, CCI Mini Mag or any 40 gr hi velocity bullet) you will be pleased. I ran Golden Bullets through mine, the reliability and accuracy were flawless! I paid around $350 for mine, but I think it is worth every penny. Mags hold 10 rnds. However, since I am using it as a trainer for my full size, I typically load 8.

The only disadvantages I could find were you must be very careful not to EVER dry fire it. In fact, when you open the box, the first thing you will see is a bright orange piece of paper that says "Do not dry fire". Also, it will not fit on every 1911 frame. I put mine on a Springfield Armory and it worked great. I tried it on a Charles Daly and the interior dimensions of the frame rails were too narrow to let the barrel lug seat properly. In fact, I could not get the slide on it at all. I also tried it on a Caspian frame and found that the mag well was too narrow. I had to really work to get the mags out.

If I were you, I would get the Advantage Arms kit ( I found mine on Gunbroker), a Springfield Armory 45. and go have fun. If you searched long enough, you could probably find a used SA .45 for a good deal. My SA .45 was a pawn shop find that was absolutely beat to hell, but it was cheap and did what I needed it to. You will have spent more money than what the Chippa costs, (I think they are around $400 to $500?) but you can get the features you want ( like trigger, beavertail safety, etc). I got mine before the Chippa came out, but I am so pleased with my conversion, I would pass on the Chippa anyway. Between the conversion kit and the SA .45 I have about $650 in my set up. However, this conversion is so much fun, I have not regretted spending the money for a single minute. Good luck!

Guest tbone

Capbyrd....I totally missed your last sentence about wanting to fit a suppressor. Another alternative is one that is not a 1911 at all, but similar. I picked up a sig P220 single action only from Bud's gun shop. The thumb safety is in exactly the same place as a 1911. It came with the .22 conversion kit on it, and a coupon that you send in with $400 dollars for the .45 upper later. It works well, but not as good as the Advantage Arms set up. I mention it because I have seen threaded barrels for the sig kit. I think it was on the sig website. Jeff at Sigpower.com makes a mag follower that will hold open the slide on the last shot. However, I have read that once the follower holds the slide open, you have to pull it back the rest of the way and move the slide release lever up before removing the mag. Again, that is what I have read, I don't any any experience with the followers themselves. (If interested, you might want to contact Jeff directly, he answers e-mails promptly and is good to deal with.) The slide hold open in the Advantage Arms kit works just like the regular .45, drop empty mag, insert new, hit the slide release and you are ready to rock.

However, probably the most practical way to get what you really want is to get the Advantage Arms kit, and shop for a gunsmith that will make the kind of barrel that you want to go in it. The down side is that you will probably get into some serious money, but it really comes down to how much you want to put into this project. If you end up pulling all of this together to get what you want, how about an update to let all of us know how you did it? A suppressed 1911 in .22 would be a novelty and a ton of fun! Good luck.

Will do. I think I am going to use a Tac-Sol upper since I can get it already threaded. Last round hold open isn't a big deal to me since this isn't going to be a training pistol but tac-sol does have it. I am going to order my frame sometime this month so I can get started. This project may take a little while. haha

Guest tbone

Cool... I knew that Tac-sol made a .22 upper for the AR-15, I didn't know that they had one for the 1911. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Where are you getting your frame from?

Cool... I knew that Tac-sol made a .22 upper for the AR-15, I didn't know that they had one for the 1911. It sounds like you are off to a great start. Where are you getting your frame from?

I'm going to check the local shops first but if they don't have what I want then I'm probably going to start with the caspian frame from midway.

I have a Kimber conversion kit that I've used on my LES BEAR, ED BROWN, SPRINGFIELD, and S&W 45s. It shoots as well as my Ruger 6in MK111. It does not lock the slide back on an empty mag. but that's never been an issue for me. It has been trouble free for about 4000 rds.

This is going to be fun but quite expensive. I just went through and priced everything I need to get a solid frame and I'm probably going to end up just shy of 500 dollars into it.

Now before people tell me to buy a rock island or anything else, that isn't what I want and its my money so bugger off!

Weve had several Chiappas so far, they have all sold... and so far everyone likes them... but for some reason im a bit skeptical... it just doesnt look like it will work well, but who knows time will tell.

Btw, Colt ace is the way to go if you have the $$$$$$$$

But the Chiappa doesn't accept 1911 parts like beavertail, trigger, etc. I like the customizable aspect. I liked the Chiappa that I checked out but the lack of true functionality turned me off to it.