Suppressor Heat and Wraps?

Guest bigbovine

Guest bigbovine

Couple of questions.

1) How hot do you figure or know a suppressor typically gets? (Even though I am only dealing with semi auto, lets assume full auto, since that is the hottest way to get it)

2) Has anyone had experience with Elita Iron suppressor wraps, or anything like it?

3) If one was to use a suppressor wrap, does that affect anything on the suppressor? ( suppression, longevity,etc....)

4) How do "you" transport a hot suppressor?

I have welders gloves, so the detatchment has been no problem. I use welders blanket/tarp for transport when I can. However it would be nice to have something smaller(the tarp is 6'x6', can be cut, but cost $70). If I am gonna spend $70 on another tarp to cut up for dedicated suppressor transport, the wraps seem to be a better idea, being made for it. As an added note, if you leave the wrap on like the elite iron, will it negatively affect the suppressor in any way?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mgjohn

Couple of questions.

1) How hot do you figure or know a suppressor typically gets? (Even though I am only dealing with semi auto, lets assume full auto, since that is the hottest way to get it)

Hot enough to cook the skin off of your hand.

2) Has anyone had experience with Elita Iron suppressor wraps, or anything like it?

I use the old style MAC Nomex covers. The new plastic wraps the Tom Bowers sell are supposed to be very good.

3) If one was to use a suppressor wrap, does that affect anything on the suppressor? ( suppression, longevity,etc....)

No. Only the heat your hand feels.

4) How do "you" transport a hot suppressor?

By hot if you mean illegal, I do not ;)

The cool down rather fast when you quit shooting.

4-5 minutes and they are cool enough to put away.

On a full auto the suppressor will get hot enought to melt right thru a blue tarp. Also a pop-up canopy when shooting in the rain. The melted plastic is difficult to remove from the suppressor.

I have not tried wraps. I usually carry a pair of heavy leather work gloves. These allow the suppressor to be removed while hot. As long as they have no liners, you can also drop it into one if you need to carry it hot.

Guest bigbovine

The tarp I refer to is a welding item, no melt, no fire, nothing. the gloves I have you can grab a peice of tubing thats cherry red hot for a limited amount of time without destroying said gloves. not as good as the tarp, but thats how it goes. Just wondereing if suppressors get that hot?

Very Interesting.

How many shots do you normally take at a time?

They make a nomax type of sleeve that works. But

only for 2 dozen rounds at a pop.

I wouldn't get it hot enough to make it change color.

Guest redbarron06

It gets real hot PDQ if you are shooting fast FA or SA. Sombody once told me somwhere between 7 and 10 degrees each shot. I carry a pot holder and a big (almost elbow length) grill glove that I use for frying turkeys with me in my range bag. If I dont have time to let it cool down I will take the can and drop it into the grill glove and toss it into the bag.