Why are they allowed to publish HCP data

well, Seems CA is anti Gun, which is why they are making a database such as this available. I mean that is the only reason I can see for such a database.

Took much information is given out in public records, in a time of identity theft the last thing we need is for BIG brother helping the thieves out by making the information available.

At the very least, we should be allow to OPT out of such a list, where are our lobbyist?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I just came up with a Use for the HCP database

I started looking up the Oak Ridge Coucil Members.

Maybe everyone should start looking up their elected officals on the site, heck if the politicians know we are going to start using this data base they will get scared of it and decide they don't like it.

I have lived in Oak Ridge for the past few years and just recently started going to going to my City Council Meeting, after the first meeting, I started figuring out who I like and don't like

Seriously, if you have only read about your leaders, go watch them "inaction" your opinion may change.

However, I find I agree with one council member on one issue but totally disagree on another, so if I try to vote that one out I am voting against half of what I want. So have to figure out which is the the greater evil to vote against.

Edited by vontar
Guest stmccann
In the thread Do you flaunt your permit, it was brought up that anyone can look up anyone and see if they have a HCP. Why does our government seem to think it is ok to keep publishing information about us for all to see?

It is not like we have commented a crime, we are exercising our Right after paying our dues to the state and in short asking the state to do a back ground check on us as we have nothing to hid, and furthermore and showing our willingness that we plan on no future wrong doing.

I believe databases like one one at used at Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits Information & News from The Commercial Appeal (Memphis, TN) has to be in some way interfearing with our rights to privicy. Or such a database might be used by the wrong people to either search for homes with guns or to search for homes that might not be defended.

Guys, I am just getting warmmed up tonight.

Guess this wouldn't be an issue if the folks that are supposedly in charge in TN (that would be the bill paying 'citizens') demanded the next logical step in the gun-rights fight - CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY.

For those that don't know what that is - if you are 18 and may 'legally' own and possess a firearm, you may carry open or concealed without begging permission from your employees (the government).

This was recently passed in Arizona, and I believe it is 'the law' in a couple of other states. Vermont and Alaska if I remember correctly.

Then it would be my option to obtain a permit if I wanted to play the reciprocity game in other states.

In Liberty -

Sean

I gave this some more thought. What about doing a 180 from the CA by instead releasing the names of the eligible people in TN who DO NOT have a handgun permit?

It would level the playing field. If bad guys can find out who has a gun, they should have the same access to those who don't. It would save them some time wandering around to find someone to rob. They can look it up online "Oh, no danger in robbing 666 Hell Street. They are unarmed!"

There's a flaw in that plan. I've been armed all my life, and haven't had a permit all that long. We have a good number of permit holders in this state, but it's small compared to the number of armed households, especially in rural areas.

There's a flaw in that plan. I've been armed all my life, and haven't had a permit all that long. We have a good number of permit holders in this state, but it's small compared to the number of armed households, especially in rural areas.

The bigger flaw, assuming they are smart logical and well educated crimal minds we are dealing with that jsut decided they don't want to work. Most are just burn out drop outs that could not hold a job as a toll booth operator.

Yes, I saw the flaw in my logic the next morning. My husband does not have a permit but does have firearms. He is on my 'list' often enough, he shouldn't have to be on another one!

Glock30Owner: What about a more useful DL database of DUI offenders?
The DUI list is already published! If you've committed a crime your name is all over the place. We have committed no crime, yet our names are bandied about akin to Hester Prynne, except we have a Scarlett HCP on our chest.
... We have committed no crime, yet our names are bandied about akin to Hester Prynne, except we have a Scarlett HCP on our chest.

Ya don't see a Nathaniel Hawthorne reference in an HCP discussion very often.

Kudos.

- OS

Guest Gopher6

Something that's been done in other locations is to use the assessor's records to publish the home address, assessed value of the home at that address and if the property taxes are paid up to date of everyone named on the newspaper's masthead. That has caused some newspapers to decide that some information should remain private.

Something that's been done in other locations is to use the assessor's records to publish the home address, assessed value of the home at that address and if the property taxes are paid up to date of everyone named on the newspaper's masthead. That has caused some newspapers to decide that some information should remain private.

That was done with the CA staff also, didn't dissuade them.

- OS

So, the way I am reading this is, not just anyone can have my DL information according to the US Government and the TN Dept of Revenue, however, the TN Dept of Safety is free to give that very same information out to one and all because it is stamped HCP even though the permit is issued and the information is maintained by the TN Dept of Revenue.

Driver's Privacy Protection Act

Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA), U.S. Code 18 Sections 2721-2725, was originally enacted in 1994 to protect the privacy of personal information collected and maintained by each state's motor vehicle agency. In Tennessee, the Department of Revenue is that agency.

The DPPA prohibits any state motor vehicle agencies (or any officer, employee, or contractor thereof) from releasing personal information about an individual obtained by the department in connection with a motor vehicle record. It sets penalties for violations and holds violators liable on a civil action to the individual to whom the released information pertains.

In Tennessee, persons or entities requesting information under the authorization of this Federal Act may make application on the Vehicle Information Request Form. This form will provide you with more specific information as to who is and is not authorized to receive this information.

Edited by Red Haired Girl