Hey! I'm supposed to be the resident grouch here.... :mad:

Don't worry, sir, I won't be here long. :rofl:

I don't want the title, but hopefully I qualify for an honorable mention. :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ETS I'm glad to hear that you apparently cover the TN laws in your class. But best I remember the class I took several years ago didn't cover much of the law.

Oddly enough, the law part was pretty well covered in my class at Unaka Gun Club. Of course I'm a big believer in reading the Code yourself.

Interestingly enough, Phantom6 and I are discussing some of the problems with the course in PM. The problem certainly isn't with him. The video they make you watch is out of date on the law and shows bad gun handling - as well as being dull and idiotic.

So don't blame the instructors for all of the garbage.

Guest ETS_Inc
Because there's a hell of a lot more to life than guns and law enforcement.

Oh wait, does that make me elitist and disdainful? :rofl:

When I said that, I wasn't being facetious. I simply meant, that with what I know of police departments from many years of associating with cops, it's rare indeed when you find a department that doesn't have its own resident Barnie Fife or Roscoe P. Coltrane. (Military units are much the same, as are most places of employment. There's quite often someone around that makes you wonder if they lick the windows because they like the taste, or if there's another reason.) If you're lucky enough to have found just such a department, and are staying in law enforcement, I'd imagine it would have to be tough to leave such a good situation.

But, something tells me that no matter what I said to you, you'd still cry about anything. Some people are just those starfish-shaped centers of a parachutists fourth-point-of-contact. Personally, if you're going to take offense where none was intended, I'd just as soon not associate with you, and I'm also glad you won't be working as a TN LEO. They have a bad enough reputation at times as it is, they don't need jerks muddying it up.

So, in closing, buh-bye. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya'.

Guest ETS_Inc
ETS I'm glad to hear that you apparently cover the TN laws in your class. But best I remember the class I took several years ago didn't cover much of the law. Also on the range part as long as your shots were pretty much down range, you were going to pass. Now I know this could vary by instructor. I have always wondered what exactly is mandated by the state to be covered in the class.

I guess some may just think with the permit costing $115 the $50-$100 for a class is just piling on.

Are instructors updated on law changes by the state? I have known a few people that have had recent classes that were flat out told wrong on some laws. Like one guy on another forum that was told he couldn't carry into a lawyer's office or any goverment building. Let me say I am not talking about you and your class, sounds like you do a good job. But I would be upset to pay that kind of money then find out I was told wrong. Would make you wonder what else was incorrect.

Seems to me the state pretty much leaves it up the HCP holder to keep up with laws themselves. If you go to the Dept. of Safety's website it gives a general link to check the laws. Many states have the list of off-limit places and other laws right there on their page.

Ok....back to the topic at hand....which was..oh..bet theolog has his permit by now...lol

Unfortunately, the State hasn't updated the video since the law relating to carry in stores selling alcohol was changed in 2001. The State more or less leaves it up to the individual schools and instructors to stay abreast of the law. Of course, any good instructor worth his (or her) credentials is going to do so, if for no other reason than that's what their students deserve. We'd be doing a disservice to our students if we gave them less than correct information.

Not only to we cover the changes to TCA, we give our students copies of many of the pertinent TCA's, copied verbatim. Heck, sitting right in front of me at my desk, I have a copy of BATFE's State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms, 2006 - 27th Edition. It's a book I reference quite frequently. I also keep up to date on changes in other States, using resources such as LegallyArmed.com and Handgunlaw.us (both web sites I give all of my students during class), and other online sources such as here and ARFCOM, as well as published material such as magazines.

But, again, that's because I feel it's my duty as an instructor to give the best, most updated information to my students. They are paying me for my expertise. For many of them, I'm likely the only source of info they're going to consult. Giving them anything less than the best information would be setting them up for failure. That's something my integrity won't allow.

Guest theolog
But, something tells me that no matter what I said to you, you'd still cry about anything. Some people are just those starfish-shaped centers of a parachutists fourth-point-of-contact. Personally, if you're going to take offense where none was intended, I'd just as soon not associate with you, and I'm also glad you won't be working as a TN LEO. They have a bad enough reputation at times as it is, they don't need jerks muddying it up.

So, in closing, buh-bye. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya'.

Haha. You're a real treasure, son. ;) Speaking of crying, it's fascinating that you pointed out that I don't know you, yet you're continuing to insult someone (that someone being me) whom you don't know and have no interest in knowing.

Oh, and thanks so much for making this personal and keeping it mature by calling me names in the above paragraph. Much appreciated, and I'm glad we can talk this out. :rofl::D:mad:

Guest theolog

You know what, Frank, disregard everything I said in response to things you said. I like your philosophy of customer service. That's truly hard to come by these days.

"We treat EVERY customer as if they were our ONLY customer."

If you're this much fun and so overwhelmingly kind in person as you are on the internet, I'm going to have to come buy something from you.

As a matter of fact, may I sign up for your next handgun class? I promise I'll even keep my mouth shut the entire time.

Guest ETS_Inc

theolog,

I don't run the school, I just get paid to teach the classes for another shop. But, if you want to come take the class, I'll pay for your seat out of my pocket.

Guest ETS_Inc

theolog,

The offer remains. You are most welcome to come for class, on my dime. Anybody can post stuff on the internet. I'd rather you know, beyond a doubt, that I teach my class as I say I do, and that I'm not full of hot air.

Guest theolog
If y'all do that let me know...I'll by the beer. :rofl:

I'm sorry, sir. Beer offers are irrevocable and non-transferable. I will still have to buy the beer.

Ah, what the hell, let's all get together, kill some paper, take some classes, drink some beer and do whatever else it is you Tennesseans do.

I'm sorry, sir. Beer offers are irrevocable and non-transferable. I will still have to buy the beer.

Ah, what the hell, let's all get together, kill some paper, take some classes, drink some beer and do whatever else it is you Tennesseans do.

:rofl:

Oh..and ETS I appreciate the effort you put in teaching a good and up-to-date class. I just hope all instructors are as profesional.

Guest ETS_Inc
:rofl:

Oh..and ETS I appreciate the effort you put in teaching a good and up-to-date class. I just hope all instructors are as profesional.

If only the citizens of TN were so lucky. Unfortunately, a number of my fellow instructors care more about the dollar bill than they do about their professional responsibility. They'll do the bare minimum required, so that they can push students through like cattle. They figure people would rather get done as quickly as possible, rather than get the most knowledge for their investment. All too often, that's the sad truth.

Guest theolog
They'll do the bare minimum required, so that they can push students through like cattle. They figure people would rather get done as quickly as possible, rather than get the most knowledge for their investment. All too often, that's the sad truth.

Can we call them Mickey Mouse? :rofl:

Guest ETS_Inc
Can we call them Mickey Mouse? :rofl:

Sure, as long as we don't paint all instructors with the same, broad brush.

I mean, I've got some big ears, but, dang, they ain't that big. And I don't look cute in short pants with suspenders.

Guest theolog
Sure, as long as we don't paint all instructors with the same, broad brush.

I mean, I've got some big ears, but, dang, they ain't that big. And I don't look cute in short pants with suspenders.

Ding ding ding...lest we not paint the poe-leece with same said broad strokes!

mickey_pluto_k9_050206.jpg

Guest ETS_Inc
Ding ding ding...lest we not paint the poe-leece with same said broad strokes!

mickey_pluto_k9_050206.jpg

Certainly not, just the deserving ones, like the DEA agent in Florida and Officer NotSoFriendly To OpenCarry from K'ville.

Pooh-&-Friends%28600x600%29.jpg

Group Hug!!!!!!!