Cleaning kits for handguns?

Guest wTiger

As I already posted in the introduction forum, I am very new to shooting. I am going to be getting my own hand gun (a Glock 23) and was wondering about cleaning kits. I do not really know what I would need.

Any suggestions or experiences shared would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i usually get mine from wally world or sportsmans whse.you will need the basic:a push rod,bore brush,patches,oil(i like remoil)I find q-tips and a tooth brush comes in handy.do a google search for vids on cleaning and breakdown,but beware,never use car oil,vaseline,or any other non-gun lube!and dont over oil(when shooting,if you have iol on your hands or shirt,its to much)after cleaning its safe to whipe down with a clean,dry patch completely to keep from over oiling.

Guest tjbert47

A Glock only needs two drops of oil after cleaning. I use the dish washer for Glocks, just tie all your parts together with safety wire and set the cycle. Then reassemble put the two drops of oil in the appropriate locations and load her up. Check the owner manual for location of two drops of oil.

Tom in TN

Guest DrBoomBoom

I'm no expert on dishwashers, but couldn't you get lead poisoning using a dishwasher to clean a dirty gun? At least I'd get lead poisoning from my wife, 'cause she'd shoot me.

Well, I dont have a dishwasher, maybe my washing machine?

I guess i will just stick to the peices of cotton.

(Tom in TN, i am really new here, were you being serious?)

There is that one really important point to oil at the right rear of a Glock. It's in the manual. Just thought I'd mention that you should read the manual.

BTW, I like Shooter's Choice for a cleaning solution.

Do Glocks still come with the cleaning rod and brush? I'm thinking he just needs patches, cleaner and oil.

Guest Todd@CIS
A Glock only needs two drops of oil after cleaning. I use the dish washer for Glocks, just tie all your parts together with safety wire and set the cycle. Then reassemble put the two drops of oil in the appropriate locations and load her up. Check the owner manual for location of two drops of oil.

Tom in TN

wTiger, please don't follow this advice...none of it is good. What you need to know will be in your owners manual.

tjbert47, are you kidding?

If so, not cool...he says he's new and obviously wants to do it right.

If not, yikes! You have not followed your own advice and read the Glock owners manual.

Guest Todd@CIS
There is that one really important point to oil at the right rear of a Glock. It's in the manual. Just thought I'd mention that you should read the manual.

BTW, I like Shooter's Choice for a cleaning solution.

Do Glocks still come with the cleaning rod and brush? I'm thinking he just needs patches, cleaner and oil.

wTiger, this advice is much better.

Marswolf, you're referring to the connector and, indeed, it is the most important place to lube on a Glock.

And +1 on Shooter's Choice. IMO it's the best cleaner/bore solvent out there.

thanks for the input. I will keep it simple, read the manual. I know enought about other thinks to know that there are things you need and things that are just sold to people like me who do not know any better.

thanks again for the information.

Guest Todd@CIS

wTiger, I'm a Glock armorer for a Rutherford Co police dept.

When you buy your Glock, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to sit down with you and your Glock for some tips and pointers.

No dishwashers needed.

Guest tjbert47
Well, I dont have a dishwasher, maybe my washing machine?

I guess i will just stick to the peices of cotton.

(Tom in TN, i am really new here, were you being serious?)

Yes I've been doing this for years. It works great and if you are cleaning multiple guns it saves a lot of time.

Tom in TN

Guest canynracer

I found a very basic kit at the range I shoot at...it came in a tube, it has the rod, the barrel brush, other adapters for pushing pathces through the barrel, some patches (I had to buy more) and a 2-in-1 solvent/lubricant...I got cheap q-tips, and a softer brush (similar to toothbrush) when I ran out of the solvent/lubricant, I went to shooters choice.

the kit cost me about 9 bucks, and it works really good.

Guest Mugster

I knew a guy one time, took his issue M-16 apart and put the the whole thing minus the lower and the hand grips in an ultrasonic cleaner and laid down for a nap. It was clean as a whistle too, not a trace of finish left anywhere. Made me laugh...we docked him a day's pay I think.

Guest Todd@CIS
Gee, sorry to hear that. Wish you could be an armor for a decent gun,

Smarta$$ :confused:

They've also sent me to Remington, AR series, Springfield XD, and Benelli.

And I put myself through an AK armorer class.

So maybe it balances out.