Huglu shotguns

I'm currently deployed to Turkey and have a chance to buy Huglu shotguns at pretty descent prices. I'm not really a shotgun guy but I've got my eye on a 103FE 28" over/under with some nice filigree work and a beautiful walnut stock. Fit and finish look really nice and the dealer is a reputable one with a distributor in Texas that handles all of the import paperwork. Does anyone have any experience with these guns?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two back in 1999 when I was deployed to Incirlik. There were a couple of brothers (names something like Mahmet and Bahment) that ran a small shop about 1/3 of the way down the alley from the base -- wonder if that's where you're deployed and if those two are still there. Anyway, I was very happy with my guns, but will warn you that quality control was variable. Since we were buying so many, the brothers let us take several to the skeet range on base and determine which ones we were actually going to buy. Several had sticky firing pins, but the rest worked like a charm. I sold one after I got back to the States (for more than I purchased both for at Incirlik) and have kept the other. I haven't hunted with it, but find it's a pretty decent shotgun for skeet and sporting clays. The only trouble is, when folks see you break it out, they figure it's a $2000 gun, and expect you do shoot better than I do ;-).

Hope that helped,

Z

I bought two back in 1999 when I was deployed to Incirlik. There were a couple of brothers (names something like Mahmet and Bahment) that ran a small shop about 1/3 of the way down the alley from the base -- wonder if that's where you're deployed and if those two are still there.

Z

This place is on the alley, a couple of blocks before you get to Pop's. May be the same place. I think I've talked myself out of it. I don't currently shoot skeet/trap and I think the $750 they're charging could be better spent back home.

.... I think the $750 they're charging could be better spent back home.

I agree. I'm surprised they've gotten so expensive. I know it was the Stone Ages, but in '99 I bought two for less than $600.

On another note, Pops used to have some really nice leather gun cases -- might be worth a look if you're killing time on the alley.

Z

Guest WadePatton

a "bro" of mine bought 10 while he was deployed over there. he gave a few away. i got one. nice gun, but i'm not a real shotgunner, mostly a pistolero and rifle guy.

it's as close as i'll get to a fancy o/u. or the fanciest shotgun i expect to own. i just don't sling much shot.

but don't get more than a few at a time. it raises all sorts of atf flags...as our ffl and my bro found out.

hell, i bought 4 pistols once and found out that they were required to send in "special" paperwork for that...

_not_ that any of us have anything to hide, but well, just sayin'.

Pops used to have some really nice leather gun cases -- might be worth a look if you're killing time on the alley.

Z

Yeah, Pop's is still the place. I broke down and got a new flight jacket and will probably pick up one of the gun rugs before I leave. The prices are just too good to pass up.

Guest boatme99

Very nice. I checked out their website. Some nice looking shotguns.

Is there a dealer in Mid-Tenn.? There could be one in my future.

• 1 year later...
Guest carrdon

I was at Incirlik in 94 or 95 and bought a beautifully engraved Huglu 12 ga at the same store some of you describe. I still have it, has never malfunctioned and shoots great. I compares in craftsmanship with a pre wwII high grade Simson I also own. I also have a few items from Pops leather up the road. Huglus seem to be bad mouthed by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

The alley of the 90's during Northern Watch was something to behold, so busy. Stopped through there a couple years ago and half the shops were closed, and had a dead feeling to it. The shotguns have doubled in price as well. Still a neat place to go shopping and enjoy an Efes or Tuborg!