I was about out of Hoppes #9 and wanted to get something less smelly, (my wife hates the smell of gun cleaners). I saw several positive reviews for Gunzilla and it supposedly had the benefit of not smelling up the house. I ordered a bottle to give it a try and it came today, so I re-cleaned four guns while my wife was at church. Like I said, re-cleaned...they were already clean. Some of the reviews said that you could take a "clean" barrel and run this stuff through there and it would show that other cleaners weren't getting everything...that was probably an overstatement. I clean my guns pretty well no matter what I use and I didn't notice any more gunk coming out of the barrel, even after letting it sit for a while. So, I still don't know if this is any better than Hoppe's (or anything else) for cleaning. However, after going through the exercise and putting all the guns away I don't smell a thing in the house. If you smell the stuff in the Gunzilla bottle right at the lid, it smells pretty funky, but once it goes on and you wipe it off there is no smell. At least I can't smell it. My wife is at church, so when she comes home tonight that will be the test...will she know that I cleaned the guns with something new??? Will she know I did anything at all? Once I go shooting again and get them nasty, that will be the real test for me to see if it's an adequate gun cleaner, but tonight's test is to see if I can keep the wife happy.

By the way, the manufacturer's web site and literature talks a lot about our military using this stuff...anybody else heard that?

B

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have anything worthwhile to say about the product, but hearing your rationale for trying it makes me feel like a lucky man. My wife thinks the smell of gun oil and GSR is sexy!

I've used it (company gave our PD some to T&E, I'm an armorer and instructor).

Cleaning? Company's claims are way overstated.

Lube? About the same as most.

Protection? Didn't use it long enough to fairly say.

I don't think it's a bad product, it just didn't "wow" me.

I still say the best CLPs I've used are WeaponShield and Slip2000.

The best dedicated cleaners I've used are Shooter's Choice Bore Cleaner (no ammonia) and Butch's Bore Shine (ammonia).

Edited by TN-popo

Well, when my wife got home last night, she went out on the screened-in porch and hung out for a while...never said a word about any gun smells. So, at bed time I asked "did you know I cleaned four guns on the deck tonight"...she said "I saw no evidence of that" (what she meant was "I didn't smell that awful stuff"). So...I'm hoping this stuff will really clean my guns. We'll find out next time they get good and dirty. Later, B

Friend #1 swears by the stuff and recommended it to friend #2. Friend #2 ordered some but never got it. He called Gunzilla and they said post office delivered it on x date, not our problem. Friend #2 called post office and they said it was delivered on x date, not our problem. Friend #2 no longer wants Gunzilla.

If you order some from them, make sure they ship it UPS or FedEx.

Guest jg45

I got some of this stuff about two months ago after reading some rave reviews on a couple of sites. I had been using Breakfree CLP, Shooters Choice grease, and Hoppes #9. The Gunzilla certainly pulled some gunk out of my "clean" bores. I don't know that it was enough to make any difference, but the patches did have black stuff on them. They also squeaked when running down the now clean bore. What I have noticed and been impressed with is that they are easier to clean each time. In fact it seems to build up some sort of protective/lubing layer that the gunk just doesn't stick to. My wife definitely likes the smell better. Yes it does have a slight smell when used indoors, but it is not offensive or overly strong and dissipates quickly. I have enough of it to last for years, so unless it goes bad after some period of time, it will be my primary cleaner. As for lube, I was skeptical of their claims that you could wipe it off and the gun would still be lubed (buildup of coating again), but I tried it and so far, have seen no unusual wear. This is on an AR-15, Ruger 10/22, Ruger 22/45, Springfield LW Compact, and Colt 80 series Combat Elite. I love using it on the Springfield as it is my everyday carry weapon. It stays lint and dust free longer and doesn't leave stains on my undershirts.

JG45,

I cleaned three guns yesterday after shooting, and it was getting a LOT of gunk out...far more than normal. I sprayed it in the cylinder bores and barrels of the revolvers, and after disassembling a 1911 I sprayed it in the barrel and basically all over where I normally clean and grease. I cleaned gunk off and out of the guns for a while and also noticed that it was not stinking up the house...everything got squeaky clean. As for lubrication, I still don't trust it 100% so I added my Shooter's Choice grease to the 1911 rails. However, with the revolvers, after cleaning I normally add a drop of oil or two to make the cylinders spin freely. This was not necessary and they actually would spin more freely (i.e., less friction) than ever. So, there is probably something to this stuff. We'll see how it holds up over the next few weeks and through the next round of shooting. I am impressed, and have not used very much of the stuff, so I may be set for a long time also.

Later, B