Best "Bang 4 Buck" 200 yard AR scope?

OK..............so I joined the Norris range and the bug has bitten me. I shot some decent groups at 50 yards with my .22 and now want to shoot 200 yards with my AR. What do you recommend for my flattop including mounts?? I would like to get something a little over powered in case I want to go on out to 400 yards somewhere else. Thanks for any input given.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ls2tiger

Leupold and Nikon both have AR specific scopes calibrated for the 55grain bullet. I have the 3-9x40 Leupold and it's a nice scope. Primary arms and Optics Planet have some nice scopes for a reasonable price. Dont buy a "cheap" scope though, it wont give you as much satisfaction.

Guest JHatmaker

Completely agree on not going the cheap route. A quality optic can make a huge difference. Don't be afraid to spend some money on something that's going to last. Understand though that not everyone's budgets can allow them to spend $1000 for a scope, just don't get a cheapo just so you have something to put on your AR.

Guest Seraph
Leupold and Nikon both have AR specific scopes calibrated for the 55grain bullet. I have the 3-9x40 Leupold and it's a nice scope. Primary arms and Optics Planet have some nice scopes for a reasonable price. Dont buy a "cheap" scope though, it wont give you as much satisfaction.

What he said. This was going to be my post, exactly. Go to Optics Planet, and check out the Leupold and Nikon offerings. You can filter the listings by price, so that you're only looking at products that fit your intended budget. Both Nikon and Leupold have nice scopes, made specifically for 5.56/.223 rifles firing 55gr projectiles, that fit your stated budget.

• Admin Team

I've got one on a Remington 700 in .308 that I shot not too long ago out past 400. There's a lot that depends on you at that range, but if you can do it, the scope can, too.

Edited by MacGyver

i just pulled a variable Pentax Lightseeker and replaced it with a SS 10x42mm. The Pentax has better optics, but the build quality is very similar. My personal opinion is that the SS tubes and controls are much more durable than Nikon or Leupold. The Pentax tubes seem to be equivalent.

Are you wanting to shoot groups @ 200 or just shoot to 200? Weaver 1x3 is a damn good little scope for the money and is true 1x for up close hosing shots. Crank it to 3x and you can engage steel out to 400 by holding over on the thick post of the reticle.

DaG

Are you wanting to shoot groups @ 200 or just shoot to 200? Weaver 1x3 is a damn good little scope for the money and is true 1x for up close hosing shots. Crank it to 3x and you can engage steel out to 400 by holding over on the thick post of the reticle.

DaG

I would like to shoot decent groups at 200 yards................whatever that may be?

I think this will be a good read for you: Inexpensive Scope Comparison Chart $200 and under pickings. Of the $200 and under, the Vortex is by far head and almost shoulders above the competitors. Leupold is a good option too.

As for the Norris range, I always pegged the far back-board at only 150 yards, not 200, by walking, by the ranging reticle on my AK's scope, and by bullet drop from the aforementioned AK.

I think this will be a good read for you: Inexpensive Scope Comparison Chart $200 and under pickings. Of the $200 and under, the Vortex is by far head and almost shoulders above the competitors. Leupold is a good option too.

As for the Norris range, I always pegged the far back-board at only 150 yards, not 200, by walking, by the ranging reticle on my AK's scope, and by bullet drop from the aforementioned AK.

A buddy of mine just mentioned today that he did not think the 200 yard taget area was not really 200...............being the way I am I will have to walk it off myself...........haha

Guest ajf700

I would suggest SWFA.com they have Leupold, Nikon, and the SuperSniper. Also there is a company called Barska, if you don't know much about them I have one on my Rem 700 .308 and it does quite well.

I would suggest SWFA.com they have Leupold, Nikon, and the SuperSniper. Also there is a company called Barska, if you don't know much about them I have one on my Rem 700 .308 and it does quite well.

Thanks man. I like the SS..........

• 2 months later...
Guest SonOfaGun
Here is best bang for your buck. Nikons are good but their warranty stinks. Leupolds are way more money for only slightly better scope.

Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 Riflescope FREE S&H 325154M, 325154T, 325156F. Bushnell Elite 3200 Riflescopes, Bushnell Riflescopes.

I just purchased the Bushnell 325154T, which is the tactical version with mil dot reticle and target turrets. I agree that's its one of the best bang for the buck scopes in the $300-$400.00 range. It was a toss-up between the Vortex Viper 4-12X40 PA and the Bushy. The lowest price I found was 329.00 at Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15X40 Mil Dot Scope

Edited by SonOfaGun