9mm ammo test

Not sure if I should put this here, but the Ammo Can seems to be more about reloading and finding good deals. I don't usually put a lot of stock in shooting gelatin blocks, milk jugs full of water, etc., but this test is more interesting than some. What I really find interesting is that the guy says the next phase is shooting through denim before hitting the milk jugs.

http://frag.110mb.com:80/

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Dumb question, but half of the rounds tested were from LEO catalog. Is there any law that prevents a non-LEO from purchasing?

No, there is no law that says that you cannot purchase ammo that says "LEO Only" or anything to that effect.

So it is left up to the individual shop.

the manufacturer;like Federal

you can find it when LE places an order with a dealer and cancel the order.if im thinking right the manu requires proof from the dealer thats its going to a LE agency.ammotogo has some in stock in different calibers,i just picked up a slue of 9mm,and 00 buck 12g

Guest Glock19Fan

There may be state laws, or possibly city or county laws against certain types of ammunition, but like mentioned, it is generally just a company policy to sell LEO marked ammunition to LEOs only.

But chances are if you see Hydrashoks, SilverTips, Gold Dots, ect. in you local shop, it is perfectly legal to own, shoot, and probably carry Ranger, HST, Bonded BS, ect.

i would strongly suggest buying from ammunitiontogo.com . they have some of the LE in stock and its current production.and price compaired to local shops,it unbeatable

Thanks for that link.

As they say about Ranger ammo: This ammo is typically restricted to law enforcement sales only through Winchester. That is a Winchester rule, NOT a law, so you can legally purchase and posess this ammo.

I remember the hysteria about the "cop killer" Black Talon ammunition, that had a Teflon coating and thus would penetrate protective vests. "There will be cop blood flowing in the streets!" Only problem is that it wouldn't penetrate vests. The Teflon gave it a slightly higher velocity. It was never there to somehow magically part the fibers in Kevlar vests. Laws were stupidly passed on local and state levels banning it. Winchester did a slight revision of the "talon" design and eliminated the Teflon coating. They re-named it Ranger.

When you look at ballistics data, Rangers are good carry ammo, but so are a number of other rounds including Hydra-Shoks and Gold Dots. I generally use Rangers in 40 S&W but Hydras in 9mm. It really isn't a big deal. I think there is a lot of "LE carries it" mystique in people lusting so much over Rangers.

Guest db99wj
Thanks for that link.

As they say about Ranger ammo: This ammo is typically restricted to law enforcement sales only through Winchester. That is a Winchester rule, NOT a law, so you can legally purchase and posess this ammo.

I remember the hysteria about the "cop killer" Black Talon ammunition, that had a Teflon coating and thus would penetrate protective vests. "There will be cop blood flowing in the streets!" Only problem is that it wouldn't penetrate vests. The Teflon gave it a slightly higher velocity. It was never there to somehow magically part the fibers in Kevlar vests. Laws were stupidly passed on local and state levels banning it. Winchester did a slight revision of the "talon" design and eliminated the Teflon coating. They re-named it Ranger.

When you look at ballistics data, Rangers are good carry ammo, but so are a number of other rounds including Hydra-Shoks and Gold Dots. I generally use Rangers in 40 S&W but Hydras in 9mm. It really isn't a big deal. I think there is a lot of "LE carries it" mystique in people lusting so much over Rangers.

Did not know that the Rangers are decendents of the talons.

Regarding the OP, great article.

Thanks for that link.

thats what it says on all of there LE brands.

I get a kick out of seeing people pay top dollar for regular loads at shops when Im paying half for twice the amount in a +p LE load.

from what i can gether,the LE is a just a little more powerful,and maybe a little cleaner,but the more the marrier.http://www.le.atk.com/Interior.asp?section=1&page=pages/federal/fed_pistol_tatical.asp