I need AR info

Raoul

I have the M&P15R 5.45x39 upper on a Spike's lower. It is awesome and has become my favorite AR, as I can actually afford to shoot it. It does require a little more maintenance, as I shoot the corrosive surplus through it, by far the best investment.

I have this option in a complete rifle from S&W. I t is my favorite also and cheap to shoot. I also own a couple of DPMS rifles and find them a outstanding value for the money. But I feel the S&W is better built with a lifetime warranty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one which I like better cause it uses a better search feature is M4Carbine.net

I like M4C too. But you pretty much have to have thick skin when it comes to their recommendations. They are primarily geared toward people who fight or train extensively with their weapons and can be somewhat intolerant in the choices of gear. I'm not super experienced with the AR, but I can summarize the info you'll find over there.

There's only a few manufacturers for commercially available rifles that folks there will recommend, if it's to be used for training or serious situations: Colt, Bravo Company Manufacturing, Lewis Machine and Tool, Noveske, Daniel Defense, and a few other more fringe (and expensive) manufacturers like Knight's Armament and LaRue Tactical. They will say get a red dot or similar but have and know how to use your backup sights. They'll say don't bolt it on unless you need it. And then they will tell you to get quality training.

As far as the guns themselves go, look at the fabled chart (google AR-15 and chart and you'll find it, or do a search on M4C). The chart basically compares features of popular AR models. What's important to look for for a fighting weapon includes things like properly staked castle nuts and gas keys, most like the 1:7 twist, properly sized gas ports, a true 5.56 chamber, and significant quality control (like magnetic particle testing of the bolts and other procedures as per the TDP). It all amounts to a desire for known reliability in extreme conditions (high round counts and hard use). The members there tend to discount other manufacturers, especially DPMS, Bushmaster for the most part, definitely Oly, and pretty much everybody else except those listed above with a few exceptions. It's not that they don't recognize a place in the market for those manufacturers, it's just that they have had known problems with QC and reliability. And again, M4C is a lot about what you'd want to carry into harm's way, and many members there are currently overseas or just got back.

If you're purchasing an AR, you need to figure out what you want to do with it. The AR platform has so much variety that it's hard to answer a "which should I get?" question. Do you want it for hunting, range fun, carbine classes, long range shooting, 3-gun matches? If you want a fighting rifle, you can get a Daniel Defense or a BCM or LMT for that price. I put together an LMT during the height of the craze for under a thousand by just buying the lower, upper, and bolt carrier group separately. I don't have rails on it because I don't need them, but you can save up for a good rail system after you by the gun if you find a need for it.

Because the AR world is so diverse, define what you want to do with the gun and go from there, and then fit it into your budget.

Good post and advice JWinT. The nerd in me really liked the chart.

I"m probably gonna use mine as fun shooter and a SHTF hedge. They're fun to shoot and maybe get in in a little coyote practice.

Anybody have opinions on BCM uppers. M4C doesn't totally trash them so they must be adequate, lol.

Sale price update, I seen new stripped lowers, Aero Precision, on sale on dansammo.com for $59.99 and I plan on buying one next week. That would be a good place to start!!!! COOP

Thanks COOP. I leaning RRA on the bottom and BCM on the top end.

Guest DanE479

Brownells has some good resources.

My work gun is a 16" DPMS A1 fixed carry handle with a Troy MRF-CX rail, Magpul MOE stock, MIAD grip, MS-2 sling, and rail covers, an A2 birdcage flash hider, Novveske QD receiver end plate sling mount, and a Trijicon RX-06 reflex on a carry handle mount. The light is a Surefire X-200A.

I like the A-1 upper because I don't need "Back Up" iron sights. My sights are built into the gun, and will never fail (or if the sights fail, the gun is trashed). I use a reflex because it doesn't use batteries. I keep it simple.

Reflex001.jpg