Shotguns for Beginners Slugs Versus Shot

Ok, I've searched the forum and got WAY too many results, so I'll ask the question and someone can answer me, or point me in the right direction. Or in a pinch, make fun of me and call me names, but please don't throw things.

Can you shoot slugs and shot through the same barrel on a shotgun? I see people mentioning "slug barrels" in threads, but is it necessary to have a special barrel for a slug? If I buy a shotty for HD, could I load buck, bird or slugs and shoot thru the same barrel? Lets assume one of the super cool Mossberg 500, 12 gauge, 18.5 inch barrels, pistol grip, door buster barrel end, etc. Could I shoot slugs thru this, then reload and shoot buck or bird shot? Or am I going to cause the Mossy to blow up in my face by shooting a slug through a regular barrel?:puke:

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. You can shoot slugs through a shotgun barrel. Most newer slug barrels are equipped with rifle sights, rifled barrels, and several also feature some means for mounting a scope. A shotgun barrel is smooth, and doesn't lend ittself to the fine accuracy that a rifled barrel does. Shotgun slugs were sold long before a slug specific barrel was available. Some slugs were designed to make themselves spin without the help of rifling. The only limiting factor I'm aware of for your Mossberg is how long the chamber is in relation to the shell. If your's is a 3" chamber, it won't chamber and fire 3 1/2" shells.

Guest Billetproof

If you buy a shotgun, you can shoot all of them out of it. For slugs, you will be better off with foster style slugs, saboted slugs are made more for rifled barrels. You can also buy a rifled choke if your barrel has replaceble chokes. I don't have any expierence with them though, so I can't recommend them. With a standard beaded barrel, anyone who is a good shot should be able to hit a paper plate inside 100 yards with foster slugs. For more range and accuracy, a rifled slug barrel with sights or a scope is the way to go. JMO

a rifled slug barrel with sights or a scope is the way to go. JMO

AH HA! I got it. Thanks. Thats what I hoped someone was gonna say. Paper plates at 100 yards is interesting, but I"m more interested in having the option of ventilating the door or not.

Guest Billetproof
AH HA! I got it. Thanks. Thats what I hoped someone was gonna say. Paper plates at 100 yards is interesting, but I"m more interested in having the option of ventilating the door or not.

You can ventilate a door with any 12 gauge and barrel combination. Beyond that, it's a matter of what kind of expectations you have in given circumstances and what you plan on doing with it.

I believe the Mossberg owners manual for their shotguns with a 3.5" chamber state you should not shoot slugs. I am sure some else here can verify this.

Only the over bored 835 series.

Chamber size doesn't have anything to do with it, just fact that chamber is over bored.

Not just Mossberg, but ANY over bored shottie barrel shouldn't use slugs.

- OS

Why? Thin barrel walls?

Best I remember, from previous reading:

One is just crummy accuracy, slug doesn't seal against barrel wall, gets deformed unequally, "wobbles", whatever.

Main reason is safety, though. Some maintain that slug can turn and hang, or slug actually separate and become a squib, but better explanation I've read is that ignition forms a powder ring buildup that can make chamber pressure too high after just a few slugs. Sort of like lead fouling in polygonal rifled barrels, as I understand it.

At any rate, Mossberg 835 manual says just say no to slugs, without explanation, I believe.

- OS

mossberg does 2 pump action 3.5" chamber guns; the 535 and the 835.

The 535 has a normal 12 gauge barrel and is fine for slugs.

The 835 barrel is "overbored" closer to a 10 gauge barrel diameter. In theory since the barrel is a bigger diameter than the slug, the slug may tumble while going down the barrel. Even if it does get out the barrel without messng up something it seems that shooting a slug out of the over bored 835 barrel couldn't be as accurate as the normal 12 gauge bore.

They do make a 3.5" chambered rifled slug barrel for the 835 which is fun.

i think remington tried this also, called it SPR. (not real sure on that one though)

Edited by fastbs
can't spell