USPSA vs. IDPA

Guest ACMM

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

USPSA is free style shooting, mostly safety rules. The shooter shoots it his or her own way. IDPA stages are shot acording to a set stage decription, they must be shot one way, under the rules, usually with cover behind cover. IDPA, stock guns. USPSA, mostly race guns with some stock guns. Most IDPA matches run 60-70 rounds. Most USPSA matches run 100-150 rounds. Idpa stage max is 18 rounds, USPSA can have 40+ on a single stage. more to come.

USPSA is free style shooting, mostly safety rules. The shooter shoots it his or her own way. IDPA stages are shot acording to a set stage decription, they must be shot one way, under the rules, usually with cover behind cover. IDPA, stock guns. USPSA, mostly race guns with some stock guns. Most IDPA matches run 60-70 rounds. Most USPSA matches run 100-150 rounds. Idpa stage max is 18 rounds, USPSA can have 40+ on a single stage. more to come.

Depends on the stages and the match director. Many stages involve shooting targets in the open on the move. Others allow for a variety of ways to shoot the stage; the shooter just has to figure out which one is best for him, and sometimes discovers an even better way to shoot it in the process. Most IDPA guns are close to stock, but rarely bone stock. Some are radically modified.

Both are just a game. Both have pretty tight rules. Although my experience is mostly USPSA, I have shot IDPA. I prefer the game that allows me to shoot the stage as I see best. To me, having multiple ways to shoot and having to figure it out, makes for a better game.

I like IDPA, but I like USPSA a lot more.

I've never seen an IDPA gun that was radically modified. Rules are very strict for this sort of thing and I doubt a heavily modified gun would pass muster. A lot of clubs are probably lenient about what they will allow in club matches.

I guess it depends on one's personal definition of "radically." Many people I know shoot a gun in IDPA that is very different from the gun they actually carry, even if it's the same brand and model.

If someone carries, say a completely stock Sig 226, but in competition they shoot a Sig 226 with different grips, different sights, a different trigger, a custom trigger job, a different barrel, and a different mainspring and recoil spring, I would consider that radically different, compared to the stock gun.

Even in big matches, I've rarely (if ever) seen anyone really examine a gun to see if it has been modified. You could easily show up at an IDPA match and shoot a gun that doesn't meet the requirements and no one would ever really know the difference. I certainly know plenty of people who have.

As to the OP, no, there are lots of other differences, mostly, as others have said, in the way you are allowed to shoot a stage. In USPSA/IPSC, you can usually shoot a stage any way you want to.

In IDPA, you have to shoot the stage as specified by the stage description or by a specific set of rules which apply all the time. These rules dictate in which order you have to engage targets, what types of reloads you can perform, how many rounds you can load in your magazines, and, in some circumstances, where you must be positioned while you shoot.

Other differences include what types of equipment are allowed; holster, gun, magazine carriers, etc, and where it can be positioned on your body. Also, the number of targets is usually much lower, and the distance closer in IDPA.

The scoring system is also very different.

I have a friend who aptly describes it like the difference between softball and baseball. Idpa "softball" at least makes an attempt to be tactically correct by requiring the use of cover to shoot from and reload behind etc. IPSC "baseball" is much more freestyle and fast paced and it gives the participant much more leeway in deciding the best strategy to get through a course of fire. Neither should be considered a replacement for real tactical shooting instruction, both are alot of fun. Both games have divisions for a wide variety of guns, revolvers, DA autos, SA autos, etc. If you get serious about it IDPA equipment is less expensive and the lower round counts mean a match is cheaper to shoot, if that is not important to you IPSC is a running, gunning good time! I shoot mostly IDPA mainly because there are more clubs within close driving range for me and it is better suited to my shooting style. Give both a try and shoot the one you like the best. I shot the Toys for Tots match at ORSA in Nov. and loved it it was IPSC style mostly and it made me want to shoot some more IPSC this coming year. Now go outside and PLAY!

Robin :D

That's correct. Also the exact reason why many believe IDPA is a substitute for tactical training. Neither USPSA or IDPA should ever be thought of as self defense or tactical training.

Id like to meet anyone who thinks IDPA is a substitute for tactical training (whatever that is). It is the biggest strawman argument going.

As for the guns being modified, I would not consider a better-quality barrel or better grips as "radical modifications."

But both IDPA and IPSC are the only sports I know where a middle-aged fat guy can be a top contender.

Id like to meet anyone who thinks IDPA is a substitute for tactical training (whatever that is). It is the biggest strawman argument going.

I can name names, although I won't in this venue. Right off hand I can think of 5 people that will tell you they don't need to take any training because they shoot IDPA and they have learned everything they need to know for a gunfight. These same people will also tell you that they are glad they found IDPA, because now they have skills that are REALLY needed in a gunfight, compared to that gamey old IPSC where what you learn will just get you killed. (note: I'm not saying I believe that, I just know people who do).

As for the guns being modified, I would not consider a better-quality barrel or better grips as "radical modifications."

You didn't say that you were referring to my post, but I mentioned barrels and grips in my post. In my post, I wasn't referring to "better quality." I was referring to modifications that make the gun shoot differently, but are considered competition only modifications (by at least some people).

But both IDPA and IPSC are the only sports I know where a middle-aged fat guy can be a top contender.

Bowling. Don't forget bowling. Ooooh, and fishing. :cool:

If you get serious about it IDPA equipment is less expensive...

I understand your point, but some people are under the incorrect assumption/idea/notion that IPSC *requires* a certain type of equipment. I shoot the exact same equipment in IDPA as in IPSC. There is no requirement for more expensive equipment to shoot in an IPSC match. I shoot a Sig 226 or 229 with a Bladetec holster in every handgun sport in which sport I compete. They also happen to be the exact same guns and holsters I carry on a daily basis. Not similar or even "exactly alike" but the actual same guns. I don't even own any "race" equipment, and have no interest in buying any, even though I shoot in a sport where it could be advantageous.